QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

Just now, big_palooka said:

What's criminal exactly? 

Rattler being that high. No way I'd put him as a top 100 prospect. Certainly not in the top 3/4 of that echelon. 

I could see him in the top 120, purely for being a QB. But the 72nd best overall player in this draft? No way. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Rattler being that high. No way I'd put him as a top 100 prospect. Certainly not in the top 3/4 of that echelon. 

I could see him in the top 120, purely for being a QB. But the 72nd best overall player in this draft? No way. 

Agree with that. Has him firmly as a 3rd round pick. I was thinking 5-6. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Source?

I saw this on Twitter as well. Although it was to trade up for a QB no specifically Daniels. The beat writers confirmed in the sense that Mark has always given his coaches and front office to do whatever they want if it means improving the team. The past 2 regimes are proof of that with big trades in Mack/Cooper and Adams. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 12:59 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Nix strikes me as that type of QB that is just good enough to be in the 12-15 range of QBs, and will have that random year or two where he's flirting with top ten and where he's borderlining on like 18-22 and on the hot seat. 

A really good team, he'd do just fine. He'd probably tear things up in San Fran or Green Bay or KC or Baltimore or Dallas or Miami. Like he'd probably legit inflate himself into top 8 talk on one of those squads in a plug-and-play situation. 

But the really good teams aren't looking at him. He's not good enough to see good while a team is building around him. 

If it makes sense, he's a guy I would absolutely trade a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd for to, say, Chicago in 3 years if we had a juggernaut roster and just needed a QB. I think he's that guy- the cherry on top if you will. But I don't think he's a potential franchise guy. 

Sort of like a Tannehill maybe? Regarded and respected, but never the "identity" of his team. 

Basically, a more athletic Derek Carr with less arm talent. I forsee see a career full of midness from Nix, ill pass on that in first round.

For me, its trade up and take whoevers left out of the big 4 at QB or no QB at all in the first 2 rounds of the draft. 

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

On 4/10/2024 at 6:27 PM, reddevil said:

https://youtu.be/Y5VHHXcorWA?si=yrl6Mx4e_N4mWCKJ

This is the QB school - JT O’Sullivan -  who many on here rate, just to offer a different perspective.

He ranks them:

1. Williams

2. Daniels

3. McCarthy

4. Maye

5. Penix

6. Nix

Sounds very high on Penix - just has him lower due to the injury concern. There really is such a range of opinion.

I’m still very much on the fence in terms of picking any of the top 6 early. With so much difference of opinion amongst even the most respected pundits - statistically and historic probability wise, there’s as much chance that the 5th/6th guy becomes a franchise QB as the 3rd/4th

Whether you personally prefer Daniels over Maye or JJ over both or Nix over Penix - there’s as many people with the opposite view. And given my comfort in admitting that I really don’t know how good these guys are actually going to be - if we did take any of the top 6 early, I think I’d find enough comfort in knowing how much of a crapshoot it is and that, even if it wasn’t ‘my guy’  I’d be happy that we were willing to gamble…

Gotta be honest I’m not comfortable with my own opinion on any of these QBs 😂

Im normally fairly confident when I watch a DT, a CB, a DE or something, there seem to be set skills and traits that translate but these QBs I’m really not confident at all.

They pretty much all could be successful or any could bust hard, I have my preferences but would not be surprised at all if I was completely wrong!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Who here would actually want to send potentially 3 first round picks + for Jayden Daniels? Show of hands

Only if he's comparable to Lamar Jackson by Year 2, and even then I'd consider that price a bit steep.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Who here would actually want to send potentially 3 first round picks + for Jayden Daniels? Show of hands

It’s a big No from me sorry, far too high bust potential.

The only QB I’d trade up for would be McCarthy and then I’d only trade up to say, 9 or 10. And I’d be very nervous doing that 😁

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Not for 3, no way. 

Lamar Jackson was a glorified second rounder just a few years ago that the Ravens pulled the trigger on late in round 1 to go ahead and secure him. 

But he was a "second round guy" for all intents and purposes. 

Jayden plays like Lamar, but as it stands, Lamar is the best doing it. I'm not trading 3 firsts to hope for Lamar lite. If that's the case, draft a 2nd ound athletic QB next year. Or if Lamar lite is one's fancy, draft one later than Lamar went. 

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He’s the trade option I’m least excited about. I don’t think he’d hold up very well in the NFL, he’s already getting rag dolled like the master chief in rocket slayer, I can only imagine what will happen in the NFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Meh not my first choice and not saying I agree with the move but I’ll understand if it happens 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Im normally fairly confident when I watch a DT, a CB, a DE or something, there seem to be set skills and traits that translate but these QBs I’m really not confident at all.

They pretty much all could be successful or any could bust hard, I have my preferences but would not be surprised at all if I was completely wrong!

QB is so dependent on where you go. Makes the position that much harder to project.

If I am these QBs, I hope to land with Minnesota vs. Chicago, Washington or NE. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I would like to think that if you remove the bravado that online posting seems to bring out in people, surely no one in their right mind would be totally confident that one QB will be a guaranteed hit and another a guaranteed bust.

While we might all imagine we are better at GMimg than actual GMs, the sheer quantity of bad QB draft picks and bad projections from pundits and fans is evidence enough that it is one of the most difficult decisions to get right in, well,  pretty much any aspect of any profession known to man. 

• Like 1