QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

12 hours ago, G said:

I had a draft on NFLDraftbuzz where the Saints traded Carr back to us to move up from 14 to 13 and then I offered 77 to Chargers for Mack. I know many would hate that but it made me smile. lol

Honestly, I wouldn't absolutely hate that. Carr is past the point of blocking us from taking a QBOTF at any time and moving from 13 to 14 isn't causing me to lose much sleep. He'd be a decent bridge QB. 

That said, he'd be an abysmal fit for Getsy's offense from everything I've seen. Like, so abysmal that it would basically waste a roster spot. AOC is already an awful fit and he's younger, already has some chemistry with the receiving corps, and is undoubtedly cheaper. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 2:55 PM, G said:

I had a draft on NFLDraftbuzz where the Saints traded Carr back to us to move up from 14 to 13 and then I offered 77 to Chargers for Mack. I know many would hate that but it made me smile. lol

😂

That would be absolutely hilarious, some people would be losing their minds!!!

I think you’re right though about these QBs being overvalued. It’s in part due to so many teams needing a QB but I honestly couldn’t see any of these kids being worth a top 3 pick in a recent good QB class such as ‘19, ‘20 or ‘21 if they were individually in those.

I hope we just be patient and let the draft come to us. Maybe the media is higher on these QBs than real front offices are, the media do tend to fixate on QBs to an annoying level 😁

• Like 1

Broncos fan here any of you guys know anything about Micheal Hiers? Broncos and raiders had him in for a top 30 visit I believe. I asked on the Broncos forum but people are over talking qbs we've been talking about them for 8 years lol.

24 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Broncos fan here any of you guys know anything about Micheal Hiers? Broncos and raiders had him in for a top 30 visit I believe. I asked on the Broncos forum but people are over talking qbs we've been talking about them for 8 years lol.

Payton can turn him into Brees.  I hope you get him at 12.  

All kidding aside, I haven't heard of him before this post.  It looks like he has a decent playing career against low level competition.  Not very fleet of foot at all.  His best competition was against Auburn and he had a very underwhelming game.  18/31 141 1 TD 2 INT.  If he had 30 visits, there is something intriguing about him that NFL execs see.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

I see Hondo reporting that some executives think Aidan O’Connell would be a first round pick in this draft? I have a hard time believing that at all

There is just something about him.  I know a lot of people do not see it and judge him based upon the stats last year but when I watch him i see it and he just needs the lightbulb to go off.  Not that he will be a top five QB but he can be an above average starter.  I want to role with what we have and go BPA.  No matter what we need to fix the o-line no matter who the QB is.

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

There is just something about him.  I know a lot of people do not see it and judge him based upon the stats last year but when I watch him i see it and he just needs the lightbulb to go off.  Not that he will be a top five QB but he can be an above average starter.  I want to role with what we have and go BPA.  No matter what we need to fix the o-line no matter who the QB is.

I think he has it upstairs, but today's nfl you got to have some kind of mobility and I don't mean you have to be a runner, but you can't be a statue. That's why I recently said if He got himself into good shape and worked with some kind of mobility and flexibility coach in this offseason so he can better avoid pressure pick up short yardage do some role outs, he could surprise and hold on to the job if he takes a 2nd year leap, but he would have to show he has some new tools in his tool box.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I see Hondo reporting that some executives think Aidan O’Connell would be a first round pick in this draft? I have a hard time believing that at all

Hondo is a mark. 

I don't hate AOC, I've made that clear. 

But what on God's green earth would anyone see? 

• He's the antithesis of mobile. 

• He doesn't have a cannon. 

• He was never a stat producer in college. 

• He didn't stand out in college. 

• His decision making is questionable when put to the test (he drove me nuts last year throwing poorly decided bombs instead of taking the open short yards on 3rd and ~3 in crucial moments). 

• He's reasonably accurate, but he doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. 

• He's not a clutch player from what we've seen. 

Sorry, but Hondo is full of crap here. O'Connell was good last year for what he was under the circumstances- a relatively unheralded day 3 pick who was a little better than a corpse on a broken down and dysfunctional offense. To pretend that anyone would turn around and say "Yeah, that's a first round pick" can only signal 3 things:

• This is an All Time bad QB class- I doubt that. 

• NFL execs are honestly more clueless than fans here- maybe, actually, given how some of our mock drafts go compared to what they actually do. 

• Hondo isn't a credible journalist, just a hack for the Raiders to basically run proxy PR and make everything out to be far better than it actually is- I'd bet my security clearance on this, as it's been demonstrated at numerous times that he's not a serious journalist and will pimp up anything colored silver and black while swearing everything is actually just peachy and copacetic. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Hondo is a mark. 

• His decision making is questionable when put to the test (he drove me nuts last year throwing poorly decided bombs instead of taking the open short yards on 3rd and ~3 in crucial moments). 

Sorry, but Hondo is full of crap here. O'Connell was good last year for what he was under the circumstances- a relatively unheralded day 3 pick who was a little better than a corpse on a broken down and dysfunctional offense. To pretend that anyone would turn around and say "Yeah, that's a first round pick" can only signal 3 things:

• NFL execs are honestly more clueless than fans here- maybe, actually, given how some of our mock drafts go compared to what they actually do. 

• Hondo isn't a credible journalist, just a hack for the Raiders to basically run proxy PR and make everything out to be far better than it actually is- I'd bet my security clearance on this, as it's been demonstrated at numerous times that he's not a serious journalist and will pimp up anything colored silver and black while swearing everything is actually just peachy and copacetic. 

And he takes every opportunity to say he's not a fan, he's just an unbiased reporter. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Hondo is a mark. 

That's some pretty harsh language, I can't disagree though.

I like AOC, but he is not the answer.  I think he needed to set the world on fire to prove it, and he just played "pretty decent for a first year QB". But that's not NEARLY enough to put your franchise on his shoulders. 

Also, yea, Hondo is just way too political. He's almost impossible to follow with that amount of CYA he tries to push for every statement he makes. 

• Like 1

I don’t think AOC is that bad as people are saying. He played better than what you normally see from a 4th round rookie who started the season at 3rd string.

The main question would be can he get better? Can he improve upon his mobility? He will never be Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson or Daniel Jones mobile but perhaps a dedicated offseason improving his body can work wonders. 

48 minutes ago, NickButera said:

That's some pretty harsh language, I can't disagree though.

I like AOC, but he is not the answer.  I think he needed to set the world on fire to prove it, and he just played "pretty decent for a first year QB". But that's not NEARLY enough to put your franchise on his shoulders. 

Yeah, I mean, I hate being harsh on the guy. He shouldn't have started as a rookie, and I think it was an admirable effort considering. In the right system, he's probably a top level backup for ages in the league. The game isn't too big for him in general. 

And I respect backup QBs. The difference between putting AOC or Ryan Lindley out there in a pinch can be the difference between winning or losing a game or two and making or missing the playoffs. Two of my favorite QBs in the league to root for in recent times are have been underdog backups- Mike White and Davis Mills. There's something satisfying about watching someone scrap and lunch above their weight class and not wind up totally broken and embarrassed. Someone can go dig it up- I actually wanted to send Houston something for Davis Mills after Carr left since I knew we weren't going to draft a QB early last year. So I certainly mean no disrespect to any backup QB, AOC included. 

But they simply are not 1st round talent guys and for anyone to say so is just silly to me. Someone could sell me that AOC was worth a 3rd last year as opposed to a 4th/5th round grade and I could buy it. In 5 years, he may even be a "top 100" or "top 75" player from his class after guys wash out since I think he's shown he will last in the league a while. But 1st round type? No sir. That's reserved for guys who showed something truly special in college or guys who were "traits" guys who get drafted later and actually put it all together in the league. That type of retrospective approach is fine. But nothing about anything AOC did, appreciate it as I may, says that's a possibility. Definitely not today. 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Hondo is a mark. 

Stopped watching him after jmd got canned lol 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think he has it upstairs, but today's nfl you got to have some kind of mobility and I don't mean you have to be a runner, but you can't be a statue. That's why I recently said if He got himself into good shape and worked with some kind of mobility and flexibility coach in this offseason so he can better avoid pressure pick up short yardage do some role outs, he could surprise and hold on to the job if he takes a 2nd year leap, but he would have to show he has some new tools in his tool box.

I agree.  There is some low hanging fruit but having that mental aspect is huge.  His sacks per pass attempt was actuall not bad.  Garappolo is not ther greatest QB but is a good comparison because he played with the same oline.

Garappolo - .083 sacks per pass attempt

O'Connell - .069 sacks per pass attempt

AOC was also no where near the worst QB when it came to sacks per pass attempt.  He is not mobile but if he can speed up the clock he will reduce the sacks.  The Chargers game he held on to the ball far to long but he improved as the year went on.  We could also improve the line.  Like I said he does not have top 5 potential but can become an above average starter.