QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Penix is going in round 2. Take that to the bank. 

He was seen as a round 2 pick the entire process, runs a 4.5 at a pro day and now everyone is overvaluing him because of it. He doesn't play at that speed mind you. 

Taking him at 13 is the equivalent of taking Clelin Ferrel or Alex Leatherwood. Terrible value.  Gruden isn't the GM any longer to make this dumb of a pick thankfully.

Have you seen Telesco’s draft history bud?

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah he usually takes the obvious pick. One of the reasons I was okay with him. He’s steady in the draft especially in the first. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Penix is going in round 2. Take that to the bank. 

He was seen as a round 2 pick the entire process, runs a 4.5 at a pro day and now everyone is overvaluing him because of it. He doesn't play at that speed mind you. 

Taking him at 13 is the equivalent of taking Clelin Ferrel or Alex Leatherwood. Terrible value.  Gruden isn't the GM any longer to make this dumb of a pick thankfully.

Taking Penix at 13 would reek of desperation and would be bad value. He doesn't belong going at 13 and should go in round 2 but I can see a desperate team trading back into the 1st for him. 

The only logical QB, value move I see right now is a trade up for JJ if he slips to 10 and we strike a deal with the Jets. Other than that or some miracle that one of the top 3 slip I would stay at 13 and draft a CB as my top value option with OT coming in next...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Taking Penix at 13 would reek of desperation and would be bad value. He doesn't belong going at 13 and should go in round 2 but I can see a desperate team trading back into the 1st for him. 

The only logical QB, value move I see right now is a trade up for JJ if he slips to 10 and we strike a deal with the Jets. Other than that or some miracle that one of the top 3 slip I would stay at 13 and draft a CB as my top value option with OT coming in next...

This is where I’m at too. I quite like Penix, but not at 13. If he’s there in the late 20s after we’ve picked a blue chipper that’s fallen at 13 and we want to trade back up from the second that would be fine. I’d be fine doing that with Nix  too. Ideally, like you, I’d like to stay in a holding pattern and see if McCarthy is there at 10 or so and do a little trade up. We wouldn’t need to throw him straight to the wolves as we have Minshew, could be a very prudent option moving forward.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yes and he doesn't reach. He managed to put together a very talented roster despite it underachieving due to coaching.

Like any GM, they are going to hit and miss. But he managed to hit on a franchise QB which is paramount. 

• Like 1

Dane Brugler, just released The Beast for 2024. He ranks the QBs among the top 100 players?

Williams - QB1 - 1 overall

Maye - QB2 - 4 overall

Daniels - QB3 - 8 overall

McCarthy - QB4 - 21 overall

Nix - QB 4 - 44 overall 

Penix - QB6 - 52 overall

Rattler - QB7 - 72 overall

• Like 1

I’ve certainly cooled on Penix he throws a pretty ball that’s for sure but with the players available at 13 you gotta take the all pros there. 

Also I get the feeling that this draft will be similar to the 2014 one as it pertains to QBs. Myself and others here thought Jimmy G and Carr would have snuck into the first round but both fell to the second. We might see the same happen to Nix and Penix. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Yes and he doesn't reach. He managed to put together a very talented roster despite it underachieving due to coaching.

Like any GM, they are going to hit and miss. But he managed to hit on a franchise QB which is paramount. 

He was terrible in LA, lol. 

https://youtu.be/Y5VHHXcorWA?si=yrl6Mx4e_N4mWCKJ

This is the QB school - JT O’Sullivan -  who many on here rate, just to offer a different perspective.

He ranks them:

1. Williams

2. Daniels

3. McCarthy

4. Maye

5. Penix

6. Nix

Sounds very high on Penix - just has him lower due to the injury concern. There really is such a range of opinion.

I’m still very much on the fence in terms of picking any of the top 6 early. With so much difference of opinion amongst even the most respected pundits - statistically and historic probability wise, there’s as much chance that the 5th/6th guy becomes a franchise QB as the 3rd/4th

Whether you personally prefer Daniels over Maye or JJ over both or Nix over Penix - there’s as many people with the opposite view. And given my comfort in admitting that I really don’t know how good these guys are actually going to be - if we did take any of the top 6 early, I think I’d find enough comfort in knowing how much of a crapshoot it is and that, even if it wasn’t ‘my guy’  I’d be happy that we were willing to gamble…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Dane Brugler, just released The Beast for 2024. He ranks the QBs among the top 100 players?

Williams - QB1 - 1 overall

Maye - QB2 - 4 overall

Daniels - QB3 - 8 overall

McCarthy - QB4 - 21 overall

Nix - QB 4 - 44 overall 

Penix - QB6 - 52 overall

Rattler - QB7 - 72 overall

Effing WHAT? 

That's criminal. 

43 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Mark Davis has reportedly given Tom T and AB the authority to trade up for Daniels. 

Seeing that Daniels is going #2 or #3 and those teams moving off those picks is unlikely. Especially Telesco won’t overpay

Source?