Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

I think I've settled on what I want. As I posted in the Gen section:

Rosen/Darnold at 1, Barkley at 4.

Don't worry about achieving subjective baselines on positional value.

Take the best QB at 1, then take the best overall player in the draft at 4.

That will see us well.

Here's the DREAM:

Sign Cousins in Free Agency.

Have a bidding war for the #1 overall pick. No matter what anyone offers, I automatically trade it with the Giants for #2 and #34, plus next year's 2nd. They select Rosen.

Then, guess what? I'm having ANOTHER bidding war for the #2 pick. I take the best offer, but also hope that someone like the JETS with a Top 10 pick comes along and blows me away with a similar deal.

Then at #4, I draft BPA, whether it's Chubb or Fitzpatrick. Imagine a Chubb/Garrett DE with Ogbah moving inside in a NASCAR package or DE who still plays about 50% of the time.

At #6, I am taking Barkley. I hate drafting RB's in the 1st, but if he's the real deal, a Cousins/Barkley/Gordon/Coleman/Njoku offense looks pretty legit.

Offense:

QB: Cousins, Kizer, 4th-7th round prospect

RB: Barkley, Duke, Dayes

WR: Gordon

WR: Coleman

TE: Njoku

LT: JT

LG: Bitonio

C: Tretter

RG: Zeitler

RT: Coleman

I wouldn't be opposed to using #33 and some later picks to move back into the first round for someone like Price at Center, a dynamic WR, or a dynamic FS/CB.

So all the hate Sam Darnold has taken since the bowl game how come Baker Mayfield is not receiving the same? Did anyone notice how off target he was on throws 15 or more yards down field? The defensive pressure he faced wasn't 1/2 as much as Darnold faced and he didn't exactly perform much better. Georgia adjusted to him and he had no answer. If it weren't for a dominant run game, oline and a huge defensive score they wouldn't have even been in the game late.

I don't think I need to justify my dislike of Baker Mayfield anymore.

1 minute ago, Dogbite said:

So all the hate Sam Darnold has taken since the bowl game how come Baker Mayfield is not receiving the same? Did anyone notice how off target he was on throws 15 or more yards down field? The defensive pressure he faced wasn't 1/2 as much as Darnold faced and he didn't exactly perform much better. Georgia adjusted to him and he had no answer. If it weren't for a dominant run game, oline and a huge defensive score they wouldn't have even been in the game late.

I kept track of how horrible Mayfield's down field throws were in the CFP thread.  I think he had 2 decent throws downfield.  He over threw several of them and couldn't fit any throws into tight windows. 

Darnold made some great throws even though he was getting crushed every other play. 

That's Madden Franchise mode-esque but obviously I'd take it if that happened. I sometimes wonder why more teams don't take huge advantage of the number one pick when they can and trade down a spot or two at a time opportunely to rack up major first and seconds.

I think Cousins is a good QB, not great and I'm not really interested in the stats, efficiency passer rating deal that I know suggests he can skate near the Top 5. It's just an eye test thing I have with him. Good QB but the game ending mistake is in him, or maybe less harshly, I should word it as I don't see the ice cold winner in him. But he's quite good I would say, yes. He'd be our best QB since the return but I don't want us to have suffered this much only for a 30 year old QB to spend his remaining prime years getting us to 8-8.

I want a 21 year old, top tier college prospect that was actually the best QB in his class. 

I want ten years plus of that guy, with Myles Garrett, Saquon Barkley, David Njoku, Josh Gordon, Emmanuel Ogbah, Corey Coleman etc.

No more fill-ins, short terms, stopgaps. Those are harsh terms for Cousins, I'm not saying he's quite that. But he would be a 30 year old QB on the richest contract of all-time, joining an 0-16 team.

We won't win the Super Bowl by the time he's done with us. We probably wouldn't even make the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Don't know how Baker Mayfield the QB will do in the NFL but his half time show would be epic.

Peace!!!

Image result for baker mayfield gif

Here it is guys. The event of 2018 everyone has been looking forward to…  

MOCK OF AGES! Take 1: Pre-Free Agency 

I’m going to make a few broad FA predictions: 

We address QB with a vet. Dorsey uses his KC connections and trades for Alex Smith. We send Philly’s 2nd rounder and our 5th for him.  

Browns Sign Cody Lattimer from Denver. Denver has Thomas and Sanders still Lattimer is coming off his rookie contract and when given the opportunity has shown a lot of flash. He also can return kicks too! Signed as an insurance policy incase Gordon goes to pot (pun intended) and if Mr. Can’t catch a cold breaks his hand again.  

Malcolm Butler from New England. Butler is a solid CB and rumor has it that New England will let him walk.  

Crown Jewel – Jarvis Landry. We bring in a big money contract and make Jarvis our #1 WR.  

Players worth mentioning we let leave – Crowell.

Now onto the draft! (No trades. They are hard to predict... Besides Alex Smith)

1st (Browns) – Sam Darnold USC QB! (I know he hasn’t declared yet but if he does, he has to be our guy.) Darnold might not be ready to start day 1 but he is the best sit and let learn QB in the draft. With Alex Smith leading the helm for at least a year, Sam Darnold can do exactly what Rodgers was allowed to do and learn the pros for a whole season. Darnold has the size, strength, accuracy, touch on the ball, pocket presence, Big Ben make something out of nothing factor, scambling that you want from a QB along with the leadership and character you want in your locker room. This guy is a can’t miss if we take our time.  

1st (Houstons) – S. Barkley PSU RB! With the 4th overall pick and QB going at #2, we are sure to have our pick of either Barkley or Fitzpatrick. Indy needs OLine and DB help. I could see them taking Nelson or Fitzpatrick. That is why I’m saying we pick Barkley. Barkley is the complete package at running back. He can pick up the pass rush and block. He can be a hard nose north and south guy. He can go out for the screens. He can even return kicks if needed. Barkley is a complete player and we cannot miss the opportunity to add that to our offense.  

2nd Round (Browns) –Kolton Miller UCLA RT – A lot of people have Brown, McGlinchey, Williams, or Okorafor ahead of him BUT they are LTs. Kolton started off at Left but since they switched him over to right he has been excellent. I think he would be a good fit on our line. AND because other teams pick from the list mentioned, he falls to us in the 2nd.  

2nd (Houstons) – James Washington OkSt WR – Why pick a wideout when I have us signing two of them in FA? Well because I truly believe the combination of Kizer and the practice squad all-stars is the reason we went 0-16. Can’t catch Coleman has yet to play 16 full games a season and Gordon is a beer away from being gone for another 3 season. Plus if everything works out, I would love for the only serious discussion regarding our WR core to be “Do we cut Higgins or Louis?” come summer of 2018. (Alternate pick would be Isiah Oliver Colorado CB.)  

2nd (Philly) traded for Alex Smith 

3rd Round (Browns) – Troy Fumagalli Wis TE – For the last few seasons of Big Ten ball, I have always heard his name called followed by FIRST DOWN! We have not had a sure handed white guy on the team since Brian Brennan.  

4th Round (Browns) – Brian Allen Mich St C – We need an insurance policy in case our interior oline gets hurt. Having a future Center that can play all positions in development is a good idea. Why Allen? I dunno saw his name on a bunch of mocks going around the 4th.  

4th (Carolina) – Tarvarus McFadden Florida St CB – Tall for a CB and again I saw him around the 4th on a few mocks. Could be wrong but I think we should pick DB here.  

5th Round (Browns) Traded for Alex Smith 

5th (KC) – Josey Jewell Iowa ILB – Just a depth pick here. Be happy I put down a name.  

6th Round (Browns) – BPA (Ah the lazy man’s mock pick of choice for the late rounds!) I’m targetting any fallen top 10 talent left on my draft boards here. I would also look for injured players who were can’t miss before their injury types as well.  

7th Round (Browns) – Again BPA. These are too hard to predict right now.  

There you have! I went offense heavy because our offense was offensive.  

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3rd Round (Browns) – Troy Fumagalli Wis TE – For the last few seasons of Big Ten ball, I have always heard his name called followed by FIRST DOWN! We have not had a sure handed white guy on the team since Brian Brennan.  

Someone must be forgetting the legendary Steve Heiden

4th Round (Browns) – Brian Allen Mich St C – We need an insurance policy in case our interior oline gets hurt. Having a future Center that can play all positions in development is a good idea. Why Allen? I dunno saw his name on a bunch of mocks going around the 4th.  

Too small imo.

5th (KC) – Josey Jewell Iowa ILB – Just a depth pick here. Be happy I put down a name.  

I’d be surprised if he lasted this long.

Solid effort.

Here it is guys. The event of 2018 everyone has been looking forward to…  

MOCK OF AGES!

Very Excellent product MC. I do wonder about "learning the pro system " with our Magic head coach in charge.

I fear Darnold would have to undergo deprogramming in year 2 to institute right thinking. 

Greatest show on grass Mock Draft that’ll never happen. 

OC-Jim Caldwell 

FA: 

AJ McCarron QB 

Jeremy Hill RB 

Jarvis Landry WR 

Phillip Gaines CB 

Draft. 

Trade Number 1 to the New York Giants for Number 2 and WR Odell Beckham Jr

2. Sam Darnold QB 

4. Saquon Barkely RB 

33. Deshon Elliot FS 

36. Isaiah Oliver CB 

60. Christian Kirk WR 

65. Duke Ejofior DE 

90. Levi Wallace CB 

Depth Chart

QB-McCarron,Darnold,Kizer

RB-Barkely,Duke,Hill

FB-Vitale 

WR1-Beckham JR 

WR2-Gordon

WR3-Landry 

WR4-Coleman 

WR5-Kirk 

TE-Njuko,Devalve,Telfar

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Joe Jurevicious. We don't need another TE, especially this high. Fumagalli is not going to go this high anyways. He's a 5th-7th round guy. Not fast or big, not a superb blocker. Great hands that plays in the perfect system to get open crossing the middle and sitting in zones when the LBer's jump the run game. It doesn't mean he won't be good, but there are 7-8 TE's in this class that should go before him. And again, TE is one area where we don't need to add another player. I'd pass up BPA at DT and TE, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

AJ McCarron QB 

He's not a FA. Plus that ODB trade is insane. The Giants would never. I know you prefaced it by saying it'd never happen, but this is unrealistic even for an unrealistic off-season.

Plus Elliot the safety is highly overdrafted here.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:13 PM, candyman93 said:

Stanford is destroying the best Big 12 defense right now. This has been my biggest knock on Baker. His height doesn’t concern me if he has big enough hands. However, he played bad defenses all year.

I guess Georgia's elite defense must stink as well???

Also on NFL.com, Daniel Jeremiah just commented, that after watching Mayfield's game last night, there is no way he gets past the top 15 in the draft???

Archived