Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

7 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

One thing about going Barkley high is that there's no way in hell Hue will keep his job if he abandons the run after we spend a top draft pick on a RB. 

Ahh, unless Hue misuses him to prove that Dorsey and not he is the problem.

16 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

So it seems Dorsey has taken a liking to Baker Mayfield. Watched 6 games of his this year and said he’s the next great QB 

Source?

I need sources before I go full blown chicken little at the thought of taking my 3rd favorite QB prospect at #1 overall.

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Source?

I need sources before I go full blown chicken little at the thought of taking my 3rd favorite QB prospect at #1 overall.

It was in the mmqb. He didn't say he's the next great QB. He just said he's seen six games of him and thinks he's a good QB. And that height doesn't really matter, citing Russell Wilson and Chase Daniel, who he signed as a backup.

Basically he didn't reveal any preference for a QB.

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It was in the mmqb. He didn't say he's the next great QB. He just said he's seen six games of him and thinks he's a good QB. And that height doesn't really matter, citing Russell Wilson and Chase Daniel, who he signed as a backup.

Basically he didn't reveal any preference for a QB.

This.

I'm not sure bosko could have oversold Dorsey's relatively benign comments any harder.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

I'm not sure bosko could have oversold Dorsey's relatively benign comments any harder.

#Browns GM John Dorsey on QB Baker Mayfield (via @SI_PeterKing): “You’re darn right he’s a good quarterback, no matter how tall he is. Some would say he’s too short, but I would ask you: How tall is Russell Wilson? How tall is Chase Daniel?”

Russell Wilson isn’t a great QB ? There’s multiple sources citing Dorsey and if you read into them when asked about this years QBS. He first talks about Mayfield then the rest then comes back to Mayfield. He’s not really hiding it. It’s pretty obvious. It would make sense if Mahomes was his pick. I wasn’t sure if that was before him or after him. He has that Favre feel. 

5 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

No but he’s referring to height. I can name a ton of 6’1 QBs who has had success in this league 

He's also called Mayfield nothing more than a 'good QB'. And made no direct comparison of his ability to Wilson.

There's nothing there to suggest he thinks Mayfield is the next great QB. It's just classic GM speak.

22 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

No but he’s referring to height. I can name a ton of 6’1 QBs who has had success in this league 

For every Russell Wilson and Drew Brees there are dozens of examples of guys who are major failures/career backups. I'll even throw Michael Vick in as a measure of good faith.

But, please, tell me a lot of these guys 6'1 and under who are successful.

Also, if his mug-shot is any indicator, Baker is 6'0.5.

I've noticed a slight change of the narrative when it comes to Darnold declaring. Before it was that he should return to USC and avoid the Browns. Now some of those same guys are saying he should come out. That it is too much of a risk to stay because you'll be picked apart and be expected to be flawless.

It had me thinking, Darnold might still be on the fence, weighing it up. If so, what would be the best outcome from his bowl game against Ohio State? Has a huge game and capitalises on it by declaring? Or does a huge game give him hope that he can go and get a national championship with his boys next year? Plays a good game but they lose and he realises there's no benefit to staying? Has a bad game and realises he needs to leave? Has a bad game and realises he needs to go back and get better?

There's so many variables, it's driving me crazy!

3 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I've noticed a slight change of the narrative when it comes to Darnold declaring. Before it was that he should return to USC and avoid the Browns. Now some of those same guys are saying he should come out. That it is too much of a risk to stay because you'll be picked apart and be expected to be flawless.

It had me thinking, Darnold might still be on the fence, weighing it up. If so, what would be the best outcome from his bowl game against Ohio State? Has a huge game and capitalises on it by declaring? Or does a huge game give him hope that he can go and get a national championship with his boys next year? Plays a good game but they lose and he realises there's no benefit to staying? Has a bad game and realises he needs to leave? Has a bad game and realises he needs to go back and get better?

There's so many variables, it's driving me crazy!

I'm not copping out when I say this, but I legitimately think for each guy it's a matter of priorities.

1. Does he want his college degree? Andrew Luck did. So did Peyton Manning.

2. Does he want to win a/another National Title? Matt Leinart did. So did Peyton Manning. So did DeShaun Watson.

3. Does he want to have a huge bowl game, prove that he's elite, and parlay that into the 1st pick/Top 5 in the draft? Plenty others have done it, like Vick, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, etc.

Some guys have other values that they want to do and are willing to put their careers on hold.

I read an article where Darnold's dad said even though he did well with it, "academics was never the priority for him". In the same article he spoke about how they used to have season tickets to USC football when he was a youngster.

I think his love for the school, plus maybe a personal awareness that he feels he needs more time to refine his game (which I don't get, you'll learn more and get better with with NFL coaches) will be the reasons he goes back to school, if he does.

Alongside a desire to avoid the Browns, which I'm afraid to say, I believe is very real. I bet every single QB prospect would rather play for the Giants than the Browns, even though we actually have a better situation.

If both Darnold AND Rosen decide to go back to school (LOL, only the Browns), then I hope that we trade the #1 overall pick to the NY Giants for something like #2 and #34 (if not savagely take another pick from them).

Then I'd find away to trade some of our 2nds to either have future #1s in 2019 or to move back into the 1st in 2018.

Archived