Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

2 hours ago, zelbell said:

Know this isn't really draft discussion but how does everyone feel about bringing Pryor back? 

Personally id love a WR core with Pryor, Gordon, Colem, and a guy like Christian Kirk

for the first round I'm taking Darnold or Rosen, then a DB whether it's Minkah, Derwin, or Ward

IF they bring back Hue and Al Saunders, sure.

If not, no.

16 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Ok I know it’s only one play, but this is why I’m falling in love with Darnold. This guy breaks it down better than I could. The quick mental processing and anticipation is elite right here. Yeah I said only one play. 

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/12/one-play-proved-why-nfl-scouts-are-drooling-over-sam-darnold/

Bruh, this is only one play...

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Bruh, this is only one play...

Crap I knew I’d get called out. I mean there are several pics and at least 2 videos. 

Should I have led off with “here’s your future hall of famer Darnold doing what future hall of famers do, make splash plays!”

Yeah I’ve just been sashi’d. 

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

Yes but its all about whats available.

You're first assumption is that top 10 talent is only available in the top 10.

2014 is a great example...

Aaron Darnold, Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Ryan Shazier, Zack Martin, Derrek Carr, Kyle Fuller and CJ Mosley >>>>> Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Khalil Mack, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert, Anothny Barr, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins and Eric Ebron

Picking higher doesn't mean you will get a better player.

PIcking higher gives you a better chance? sure! But I would argue picking more also gives you a better chance.

Give me 3 mid-late first rounders over a second top 5 all day....

2014 is not a good example, you are using one of the best draft classes of the last decade and that can warp you judgement. This draft class is nowhere as deep in talent as the 2014 draft and you are not going to get a huge # of solid talents later in this draft.

Most drafts run out of 1st rounders around the 25th pick and 2nd round talent is pushed up to fill that void. A decent draft has around 12 solid blue chippers, after that there is a huge drop off till you reach around 25 and then the above scenario takes over.

We tried that in the Julio Jones trade and Jones is going to the HoF while our picks got us not much.

We are at a stage where we need impact players around which a solid offense and defense can be built, we do not need a bunch of average starters who can never get you to championship status.

Besides, it looks like there may be as many as 7 QB's capable of going round 1 in the 2018 draft, so teams needing QB's are not likely to trade up for much more than an extra 3rd and I'll take the 5th overall vs trading back for an extra 3rd.

I believe we have an excellent shot to get Darnold - obviously, and Barkley. If not, even Guice is rated as a top 10 prospect.

After that I am really concerned that Thomas , given his age and coming off an injury, may not be anywhere near the player he was and Darnold will need to be protected on his blindside. So, we may be forced to draft a LT in round 2, whether we like it or not.

If the HC believes in Gordon, then WR may be OK, but if he does not feel comfortable with Gordon, a WR or 2 may be next on out draft board.

If we can draft properly, our offense could be a dominate one within 2 years and I would worry about the defense in the 2019 draft.

Smart GM's, when rebuilding, try to fix one side of the ball at a time. Trying to fix both sides, will simply leave you with neither side as a possible dominate offense or defense!!!

Beyond QB (Darnold would be my 1st choice by a mile) one of the best upgrades to the team would be an impact player at FS ... which would allow Peppers to go back to being closer to the LOS where he belongs, improving our entire secondary.  It's a win/win.  So if we can grab Fitz or James with Texas' pick, this draft will already have been a success.  

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I've banged on about it so much, because it's one of my insecurities. But I really feel Darnold is going to go back to USC and break our collective hearts.

As such, I've preemptively conditioned myself to love Josh Rosen.

I recommend it highly. It will be good for the soul.

Rosen is easy for me to get behind, the kid wins from the pocket and beats defenses with his reads and anticipation.

Archived