Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Rosen is easy for me to get behind, the kid wins from the pocket and beats defenses with his reads and anticipation.

I agree. I only have two worries with him. The first is, can he improve his decision making under pressure? I believe he can because the decisions aren't coming from a misunderstanding of defenses or bad reads, it's trying to do too much and forcing it. When he's not pressured, he's a brilliant slicer and dicer so I know he can get it done. He's not coming from a place of fundamentally being a bad reader of the game. Hopefully better coaching and talent around him and he'll correct that.

The other worry is the durability. He's tough, but he's thin and slender. Already he's dealt with different injuries and missing time. Twice badly damaged his shoulder and a concussion history. Both are very worrying when you add he'd be playing in the cold against violent and dirty AFC North defenses.

24 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I agree. I only have two worries with him. The first is, can he improve his decision making under pressure? I believe he can because the decisions aren't coming from a misunderstanding of defenses or bad reads, it's trying to do too much and forcing it. When he's not pressured, he's a brilliant slicer and dicer so I know he can get it done. He's not coming from a place of fundamentally being a bad reader of the game. Hopefully better coaching and talent around him and he'll correct that.

The other worry is the durability. He's tough, but he's thin and slender. Already he's dealt with different injuries and missing time. Twice badly damaged his shoulder and a concussion history. Both are very worrying when you add he'd be playing in the cold against violent and dirty AFC North defenses.

I like your assessment, but you can make the argument that in a few pressure situations he was like the matrix. He does have that trait about him which is alluring to me

13 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

2014 is not a good example, you are using one of the best draft classes of the last decade and that can warp you judgement. This draft class is nowhere as deep in talent as the 2014 draft and you are not going to get a huge # of solid talents later in this draft.

Most drafts run out of 1st rounders around the 25th pick and 2nd round talent is pushed up to fill that void. A decent draft has around 12 solid blue chippers, after that there is a huge drop off till you reach around 25 and then the above scenario takes over.

We tried that in the Julio Jones trade and Jones is going to the HoF while our picks got us not much.

We are at a stage where we need impact players around which a solid offense and defense can be built, we do not need a bunch of average starters who can never get you to championship status.

Besides, it looks like there may be as many as 7 QB's capable of going round 1 in the 2018 draft, so teams needing QB's are not likely to trade up for much more than an extra 3rd and I'll take the 5th overall vs trading back for an extra 3rd.

If you would like to use the Julio Jones trade we can definitely do that.

Julio Jones was traded for Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Merecic, Brandon Weeden, which proves that we are bad at drafting.

However based on players who were available Julio Jones could have been traded for Muhammed Wilkerson, Randall Cobb, Julius Thomas, David DeCastro and Josh Norman

That being said we could have also drafted Blane Gabbert or Nick Fairley where Julio Jones was taken...

Higher pick does not mean more talent, you still have to draft well.  It does mean you have a higher chance of more talent.

That being said, as I mentioned, More picks also means higher chance of more talent, but again, you still have to draft well...

Trading down is not a bad strategy, and does not mean a bunch of rotational players, but you need to draft well.

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

If you would like to use the Julio Jones trade we can definitely do that.

Julio Jones was traded for Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Merecic, Brandon Weeden, which proves that we are bad at drafting.

However based on players who were available Julio Jones could have been traded for Muhammed Wilkerson, Randall Cobb, Julius Thomas, David DeCastro and Josh Norman

That being said we could have also drafted Blane Gabbert or Nick Fairley where Julio Jones was taken...

Higher pick does not mean more talent, you still have to draft well.  It does mean you have a higher chance of more talent.

That being said, as I mentioned, More picks also means higher chance of more talent, but again, you still have to draft well...

Trading down is not a bad strategy, and does not mean a bunch of rotational players, but you need to draft well.

Great post ??????

1 minute ago, hornbybrown said:

I see Barkley as pretty close to Barry ( no one will ever truly be Barry) but bigger. Behind a good OLine guy is going to be special 

If he ends up being like that, and we hit on the QB at #1 overall... game changer.

I'm not completely sold on Barkley as the epic talent he is spoken to be, nor am I an advocate for taking a back that early with a premium pick. But I can't deny one thing: this team needs Touchdown makers in the worst way. If Barkley becomes this elite everything back behind Darnold/Rosen in the backfield, I'm sure I won't stay mad for too long about dropping the #6 overall pick on him.

Really though we just need to get the QB right. That changes everything. A QB that doesn't make dreadful mistakes and actually makes positive plays and gets the ball into the end zone on a regular basis. That would keep the defense fresh, make them more hyped to get stops knowing we've got someone ready to trot out and make it happen.

No excuse for us this offseason. We already have some sneaky good and young players that the outside media doesn't recognise. This is the time to get that true franchise QB and make the other 6 picks in the first three rounds count too. We can be good faster than most think. And sustainably good, thanks to Sashi.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, big poppa pump said:

I like this...but I would take OT out of the equation for 1B.  I get that we are going to have to groom one to replace Joe, and I even get the fact that there will be some studs in this years draft.  We have to get some help in the other areas you mentioned first.

I'd agree overall. Mostly just thinking if there's an OT that blows away everyone else available at the pick and we don't have a good trade down available. I was mostly saying early 1sts should only be used on the premium positions in the NFL right now (QB, WR, OT, Pass Rush at DE/DT, and maaaaybe FS/CB) unless there's someone who absolutely breaks the mold to make him the clear pick.

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

We can be good faster than most think. And sustainably good, thanks to Sashi.

Unless Dorsey delivers a meh draft ala' his KC experience or, worse yet, Cueball with owners' ears has influence on how we spend our draft capital.

5 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I see Barkley as pretty close to Barry ( no one will ever truly be Barry) but bigger. Behind a good OLine guy is going to be special 

One of the reasons i have Barkley ahead of sanders is that Barry had trash for qbs the whole time, the browns may have the best qb they have had  sense i began watching 44 years ago.

Archived