Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Would you spend a high pick on Adrian Peterson and Ezekiel Elliot?

At this point, no.

There are plenty other good RBs in this draft.

Especially given the talent that should be available (e.g., Minkah), and our need to complete the D or add more picks for this year and beyond.

27 minutes ago, bruceb said:

At this point, no.

There are plenty other good RBs in this draft.

Especially given the talent that should be available (e.g., Minkah), and our need to complete the D or add more picks for this year and beyond.

There is a BIG difference between a good RB and an uberstar RB. There is nobody in this class close to Barkley as a RB prospect. We can't score any freaking points. Since like 2007. I'm sick of watching us struggle to get 1st downs because we don't have playmakers. Barkley is the ultimate playmaker. I am usually in favor of going away from a RB early too, but there are rare exceptions and he's one of those rarities.

Agree to disagree. Either way you slice it, it looks like we'll be landing a very good player with the Houston pick. Right now it's probably between Barkley, Fitzpatrick, and Derwin James. I'd rank them: Barkley/James/Fitzpatrick at the moment.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

We have an OL somewhere in the 12-15 range in the NFL. That's plenty good enough for a great RB to work with.

Would you spend a high pick on Adrian Peterson and Ezekiel Elliot? I would only draft unbelievably talented RB's this high. And Barkley is unbelievably talented IMO.

The problem is, I have a short attention span and I need to be reminded how special he is, and also im trying to convince myself he is an Adrian Peterson / Ezekiel Elliot type guy, plus I need an explanation of why he isn't as special the second half of the season. I mean, he went from the Heisman front runner to not even being invited, and only has 1,100 rushing yards, though he was really effective out of the backfield but I think are pretty fair questions to ask...

BTW, they are going to be going against the #1 rushing defense in the country in Washington in their bowl game.

35 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The problem is, I have a short attention span and I need to be reminded how special he is, and also im trying to convince myself he is an Adrian Peterson / Ezekiel Elliot type guy, plus I need an explanation of why he isn't as special the second half of the season. I mean, he went from the Heisman front runner to not even being invited, and only has 1,100 rushing yards, though he was really effective out of the backfield but I think are pretty fair questions to ask...

BTW, they are going to be going against the #1 rushing defense in the country in Washington in their bowl game.

Dude didn’t even get 200 carries for the season. PSU greatly missed used him this year. He had a drop off at mid season because tOSU exspoded that offense and the offensive line. No way McSorely should of have 130+ carries. It’s not like he was a one hit wonder his first two years he was special and his final year PSU doesn’t even properly use him. 

When tOSU has Zeke he was the offense and did a lot of things off of him. With PSU they tried to make everything of McSorely. McSorely was great last year because he complimented Barkley, this year they did the opposite and it backfired 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Where do you guys see James playing on this defense?

I think that he's a better version of Peppers. He should be a linebacker/hybrid player that's DEFINITELY a box player. I personally prefer Fitzpatrick over him and think that he's just as talented but more refined and can do a lot more in coverage, but many would disagree with me. He's clearly a box player though, and with Kirksey, Schobert, Collins, and Peppers in a perfect world, I don't love him for us even though he's talented. But, if we draft him, I'm with @NateDawg. He'd be awesome in a double angel scheme with him and Peppers.

19 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If that is the case, count me in.

The way I see it, if you were to use modern best case comparisons for each player. 

I'd rather have Minkah Fitzpatrick (Earl Thomas) and Ronald Jones (Jamaal Charles) than Saquon Barkley (whoever your top modern comp is for him) and a 2nd round FS.

I can understand those who want Saquon if they see him as the next unstoppable back. I've seen the loftiest of comparisons to Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson and LaDainian Tomlinson. Zero Super Bowls combined by the way.

But for those who aren't quite as sure of Barkley as the next unstoppable RB, the idea of an elite CB/FS like Minkah and another top RB like RoJo, Penny (or many more... there's a style for everyone) in the 2nd or 3rd round is enticing and seems to hold a lot more value.

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

The way I see it, if you were to use modern best case comparisons for each player. 

I'd rather have Minkah Fitzpatrick (Earl Thomas) and Ronald Jones (Jamaal Charles) than Saquon Barkley (whoever your top modern comp is for him) and a 2nd round FS.

I can understand those who want Saquon if they see him as the next unstoppable back. I've seen the loftiest of comparisons to Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson and LaDainian Tomlinson. Zero Super Bowls combined by the way.

But for those who aren't quite as sure of Barkley as the next unstoppable RB, the idea of an elite CB/FS like Minkah and another top RB like RoJo, Penny (or many more... there's a style for everyone) in the 2nd or 3rd round is enticing and seems to hold a lot more value.

This is my preference

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Where do you guys see James playing on this defense?

Well Peppers plays 25 yards off the ball so maybe 40 yards off the ball.  I think James would be a misuse of the pick.  I would love to get the best QB then the best talent which I think most people would argue is Minkah.  Then hopefully we can get Jones III or Love or another top tier RB at the beginning of the second. 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

That's kinda where I am now, I am really warming up to Jones, he has some juice. I would do that and still double up on a high upside guy in the 3rd or 4th like Sony Michel, LJ Scott,  Bo Scarbrough

We also another set of high upside back up pass rushers

Archived