Russell Wilson Era ending - benched to prevent 2025 37M injury guarantee

Broncofan

I don't know if Payton has the patience to start over with rookie Qb, especially since this class looks so bad 

Caleb Williams has so many read flags with his mouth and falling apart against teams like Notre Dame. 

Drake Maye is a big nope for me. Jaylen Daniels, not the safest to me but highest upside. Won't got him.

Penix looks good but might be less durable than Tua. 

It's stidham or they do a 180 with Russ (almost impossible.) 

also, i think Jerry Jeudy is a real jack@$$ a lot of the time but he's been open so many times on so many would be touchdowns and not even had his existence acknowledged by Russ on the field so maybe literally anyone else can figure that one out 

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I read somewhere that he's only been charged with one drop all year. Is that not true?

That’s quite possible. His drops were definitely as much Russ’ fault. It’s been the same since he was at Bama, JJ will not fight for a ball, he needs to be hit in stride. There have been a bunch of times where the ball was within catching distance, even hit him in the hands, but he had to turn around or get into the dirt, or fight a defender for the ball, and so the ball ends up on the turf 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I read somewhere that he's only been charged with one drop all year. Is that not true?

There's no way that's true and makes me wonder what they are counting. It was whatever game we made an effort to get him more involved (maybe the Browns game?) He had 2 should-be catches on the sidelines and one in the inzone that was covered but he should have come down with. I see at least one of these in most games this season. Maybe they are saying since theres even a little pressure on the catch, it's not a drop? That's BS though cause WRs come down with those all the time, and not just the best ones

Marilatt is an idiot but is this true about cap? If we keep Russ for 2 years (no idea how this could be repaired now), would we only be spending around 6 mil more than if we cut him? If it is true, we might as well have kept him even if it was to help a QB we draft this year or next. 

57 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Marilatt is an idiot but is this true about cap? If we keep Russ for 2 years (no idea how this could be repaired now), would we only be spending around 6 mil more than if we cut him? If it is true, we might as well have kept him even if it was to help a QB we draft this year or next. 

It’s true but it pushes the dead cap down the road. By cutting him this season we free up $27, $40, and $50 million in cap space in 26,27,28 respectively.  

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 3:02 PM, Dbrog24 said:

Like UK said, there’s basically no cap relief until the $31M in 2026. But if we’re not gonna get any value from him in the next 2 years, that $31M in cap space is like free money. Not to mention the actual cash benefit of not having to pay him the $37M in 2025. 

• Like 1

Peter King made a good point the other day when he said that Russ’s dead money+Stidham+journeyman vet/rookie will put us still in the 20% of the cap for the QB room. I didn’t look over the numbers myself but Peter King is pretty legit. 

I fully expect Sean to clean house this offseason. I think we will see us part ways with quite a few household name players and get whatever draft pick compensation we can get.

Still bugs me they didn’t the 3rd+5th offer that was reportedly on the table for Jeudy in October. Oh well.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Peter King made a good point the other day when he said that Russ’s dead money+Stidham+journeyman vet/rookie will put us still in the 20% of the cap for the QB room. I didn’t look over the numbers myself but Peter King is pretty legit. 

I fully expect Sean to clean house this offseason. I think we will see us part ways with quite a few household name players and get whatever draft pick compensation we can get.

Still bugs me they didn’t the 3rd+5th offer that was reportedly on the table for Jeudy in October. Oh well.

Wonder what happens if they don't win that Bear game (when they were down 28-7) and that Chief game (when Mahomes was sick). They would have been 1-7, and I don't see Jeudy here anymore. Heck, maybe Wilson is benched several weeks earlier.