Russell Wilson Era ending - benched to prevent 2025 37M injury guarantee

Broncofan

Thank god   

That pretty much eliminates any chance of a meaningful trade (even a 3rd-4th is a pipe dream knowing where we stand).    But I’m still relieved.

Stidham isn’t the answer IMO  and we should learn from other teams that didn’t bring in actual QB depth and get another cheap vet - Jameis, Darnold, Browning.   Cheap vet QB, Stidham in final year.   Doesn’t prevent us from getting a rookie QBOTF if the right opp presents itself but doesn’t force us to reach.   

EDIT: It’s official.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Wow and just like that it's over fellas. I do think like @Broncofan has been saying, this ultimately gives us a chance to win the war instead of the battle of this season. It's obviously a smart move for salary reasons but who knows, maybe we have a trade option on the table...one can dream. 

Overall I still prefer the Wilson years over the keenum/flacco/lock crap. Glad to be starting anew though and curious where we will go. Sadly I think we will be back to "bridge" qbs while we draft an o lineman or something. Then the year after we have our picks back 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbrog24 said:

Wow and just like that it's over fellas. I do think like @Broncofan has been saying, this ultimately gives us a chance to win the war instead of the battle of this season. It's obviously a smart move for salary reasons but who knows, maybe we have a trade option on the table...one can dream. 

Overall I still prefer the Wilson years over the keenum/flacco/lock crap. Glad to be starting anew though and curious where we will go. Sadly I think we will be back to "bridge" qbs while we draft an o lineman or something. Then the year after we have our picks back 

If it didn’t cost us so many picks I’d agree.   To lose those picks and have this level of terrible play though is just bad.   No 2 ways about that.   

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Thank god. Smart move. Glad to see it. If Stidham looks really good, my guess is we draft a QB and roll with him/a rookie. If he looks equally bad, my guess is we sign a FA like Jameis or something, and we may or may not draft a guy.

After seeing what NYG / NYJ went through at QB there’s no way we should go into next year with Stidham as our only vet.   A guy like Jameis / Darnold / Browning will be cheap.   And it won’t prevent going after the draft either if the right spot prevents itself with the new 3-QB rules (and worst case you trade a backup to a needy team before week 1 - rather get picks back than a few $$ saved).    Cheap, multiple options and can get a rookie in there.   Win/win/win. 

I say the above though with the absolute belief this was a org-winning move long-term.   The sooner we move on from Russ the sooner we can start rebuilding to sustainable contention down the road.  

Edited by Broncofan

So disappointing. Not that this decision was made, it had to be made. Just everything about the Broncos. I still think Sean Payton is a good coach but he inherited such a mess. We won’t be competitive next year, there are too many holes and mistakes to work around. Even being competitive in 2025 feels optimistic. Right now there is absolutely nothing to look forward to with this team and it’s becoming harder and harder to care.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

So disappointing. Not that this decision was made, it had to be made. Just everything about the Broncos. I still think Sean Payton is a good coach but he inherited such a mess. We won’t be competitive next year, there are too many holes and mistakes to work around. Even being competitive in 2025 feels optimistic. Right now there is absolutely nothing to look forward to with this team and it’s becoming harder and harder to care.

I have tuned in all year, but I’ve had trouble caring pretty much all season.  

Winning cures a lot, but for me personally the trade for Wilson was the beginning of starting not to care for me.  I am not a Wilson fan and there was enough out there from former players and the situation in Seattle that we were trading for a player that wasn’t well respected by his teammates and was all about his “brand.”  

I am also not a fan of Sean Payton.  His arrogance is unbelievable.  Was aware of bounty gate and did nothing about it.  While it’s claimed that Payton was burnt out of coaching and wanted to return to New Orleans after a short break away from football I find it hard to believe.  He was part of the decision making process that put NO in cap hell and my opinion is he bailed because his arrogant *** couldn’t take potentially being at the bottom of the division.  Before the season ever started Payton gave us all a glimpse of the arrogance and type of person he is when he said the Broncos 2022 season was one of the worst coaching jobs in NFL history.  

The HC and QB are the face of your franchise and leaders of the franchise.  The decision making process chose to trade 3 first round picks for a QB that even us fans knew was selfish and all about needing his ego stroked and an HC who has a long history of being a prick who had just bailed on his former team when things got hard.  The icing on the cake is not only did they mortgage the future for these 2 they also gave them outrageous salaries.

Wilson and Payton both have histories of being incredibly successful at what they do.  They have super bowls and a bunch of wins in this league to back it up.  Wilson hasn’t been good here and I don’t think Payton did all that great of a job coaching here in year 1.

It won’t happen, but my opinion is you scrub it all.  George Paton, Sean Payton, Russell Wilson, and anyone else closely associated with the last few years of decisions.  Hire a high character HC, (thought we had DeMeco Ryans last year, when he chose Houston over Denver that’s when I knew something was wrong) even if it’s a rookie HC and give em time to right the ship. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I didn’t read the previous comments before to I posted mine, but this is exactly right. 

Well at least now maybe Payton will finally add the deep middle of the football field back into the playbook and stop defenses from stacking 8-9 guys in the god damn box. 

I feel bad for Russ. Consummate professional who worked his butt off. But by the time we built the right offense around him, his skill set will have faded too much to be worth his paycheck. Best of luck to him though. 

A really sad state of affairs. A lot of "What ifs", but giving Russ a new deal when we had four years of control over him (2 years plus x2 franchise tags) should have cost George Paton his job by now.

I can personally excuse the trade even though I know others can't. But it's not the picks that have sunk us, it's that extension. 

Buckle in the next couple of years, folks. It's going to be a bumpy one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bMiller031 said:

Why again did Sean Payton take this job?  Dark times ahead and the cabinets are empty.

1.  Wal-marts will pay up (facilities / scouting / assistant coaches). 

2.  Payton gets to choose his guy.   Obv he would have loved the LAC job but Spanos family too cheap to fire Staley last year.    

3.  He has full control.  Him getting Russ out of here shows that.  

She’s not an insider but Russini sums it up: 

• Like 1