Russell Wilson Era ending - benched to prevent 2025 37M injury guarantee

Broncofan

I'm not so pessimistic about the next few seasons for the Broncos. SP did what he could with Russ. And we still have a chance for a winning record, which I think is a huge foothold to turning this organization around.

However, with the salary cap restrictions, the Broncos are going to have to draft extremely well to compete. Nobody will take the Russ Wilson contract in a trade. Atlanta sports radio has suggested that Russ would be a fit here. Which Atlanta has a ton of weapons to where Russ would just have to avoid throwing INTs; there where 4 or 5 games where Ridder cost the Falcons games because of bad INTs at bad times.

• Like 1

Props to @AKRNA, the only one who said from day one that the Russ trade was bad (even I got excited though I hated the compensation). Bite the bullet and suck next year but gets us out of cap hell within a year from last in the league to potentially top 5 in cap space. Here’s hoping we embrace the rebuild and trade back from the mid teens and acquire a second or two and some future day two picks 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

1.  Wal-marts will pay up (facilities / scouting / assistant coaches). 

2.  Payton gets to choose his guy.   Obv he would have loved the LAC job but Spanos family too cheap to fire Staley last year.    

3.  He has full control.  Him getting Russ out of here shows that.  

She’s not an insider but Russini sums it up: 

Ok all that considered it’s still a C+ job at best.

No R1 or R2 in year one, no R2 in year two, massive dead cap hit for 35yo QB he doesn’t like, division w/ Mahomes and Herbert, conference with Burrow, Tua, Allen - all in their prime.  The only thing that’s changed between then and now is he’s 100% out of Caleb Williams or Drake Maye territory

What’s the path to relevance here?  For a highly regarded SB winning HC it’s a bizarre decision to say the least. 

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Why again did Sean Payton take this job?  Dark times ahead and the cabinets are empty.

The cabinets being empty is why.

-the Broncos are still a “Tiffany” franchise in the NFL. 
-he has full control to do what he wants, whether it’s George or someone else as the perfunctory GM, Sean is running the show.
-the Walmarts have proven they will pony the f*** up for whatever. They’re also using the “richest ownership group” to wield sway. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

I’m actually slightly more optimistic moving forward than most and here’s why: I watched our preseason very closely, particularly the Rams game where we beat them 41-0. Yes, I know it’s just the preseason, that’s not the point. The point is, I saw offensive concepts in that game that never made their way onto the football field again. After a second look, it’s pretty obvious to me that Payton muzzled our offensive playbook all season long for the sake of Russell Wilson’s limitations. With Stidham, for better or worse, I believe we’re going to see the *full* Sean Payton offense on that field in the next two weeks, and I believe we will actually attack every part of the field. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'm not so pessimistic about the next few seasons for the Broncos. SP did what he could with Russ. And we still have a chance for a winning record, which I think is a huge foothold to turning this organization around.

However, with the salary cap restrictions, the Broncos are going to have to draft extremely well to compete. Nobody will take the Russ Wilson contract in a trade. Atlanta sports radio has suggested that Russ would be a fit here. Which Atlanta has a ton of weapons to where Russ would just have to avoid throwing INTs; there where 4 or 5 games where Ridder cost the Falcons games because of bad INTs at bad times.

I was actually going to say something similar. I know I have quite a different reference of us than the rest of you as I've only ever seen us suck. I feel like this year there was the start of a distinctive culture shift with guys who just aren't in the game for the right reasons (jeudy you're next). 

Even with Russ I was happy to see us being discussed in the media and people on YouTube somewhat invested in "could the Broncos have a chance to be great again?" It just seemed before this everyone knew we were a laughing stock.

Hell even with our start, I was a huge proponent in us continuing to tank as we were a complete embarrassment. Our run mid season was a testament to the message this management sent to our players and some humble changes from the coaches themselves toward winning however possible, even with quite a lack of talent.

I'm encouraged by us sitting "earned starters" (vic, Elway, even Payton at the start of the season) in favor of undrafted rooks who flashed harder than dudes like Browning we all talked about at the start of the year. Seeing and listening to some of the film breakdown, we have some really nice schemes where FIRST READS are being looked off or not known at the snap and are wide open. 

I'm not saying we will find the answer this next season, in fact I expect a bit of a regression and some trades. Yes it will come down to our drafting. I do see us possibly being a true playoff team with our new culture in 2025 or 26 with players who play the right way

45 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I’m actually slightly more optimistic moving forward than most and here’s why: I watched our preseason very closely, particularly the Rams game where we beat them 41-0. Yes, I know it’s just the preseason, that’s not the point. The point is, I saw offensive concepts in that game that never made their way onto the football field again. After a second look, it’s pretty obvious to me that Payton muzzled our offensive playbook all season long for the sake of Russell Wilson’s limitations. With Stidham, for better or worse, I believe we’re going to see the *full* Sean Payton offense on that field in the next two weeks, and I believe we will actually attack every part of the field. 

The offensive scheme is a great one, developed by Sid Gilman and made famous by Don Coryell, a young protege of Gilman. We've only seen a glimpse. Combine that with the Vic defense and we've got a solid foundation. 

We just need patience now as a fan base. One thing rarely mentioned is the huge turnaround on ST's. From one of the leagues worst to one of the best. That's a great start. 

Anyway, I'm with you. I feel better about us going forward than I have been since Kubiak left. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

Payton needs to go too.  He isn’t going to right this ship.  He thought he could fix Wilson and couldn’t, so now it’s everybody else’s fault but his own.  

This is insane. Everybody can see that Russ is cooked. He’s so incredibly limited physically, and the only way he knows how to play is unliiiimited. He can’t do that anymore, and so he’s barely a husk of his prime self. AND YET, Sean’s been able to finesse Russ into the 7th best passer rating in football this season with the finest blend of smoke and mirrors. He’s turned the 32nd-ranked scoring offence into the 16th-best. How do people not see a wonderful job of coaching the offence this season? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

Payton needs to go too.  He isn’t going to right this ship.  He thought he could fix Wilson and couldn’t, so now it’s everybody else’s fault but his own.  

I don't think for a minute "fixing Wilson" was ever part of the plan. 

We've certainly improved as an Offense.

The nagging thing in my head is just how rude Payton is with media. Like, you don't HAVE to be a ****, mate. 

Its one thing to be a bit off with people who've sold you down the river but Payton has been a condescending moron to the media ever since he got here. That rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

We've certainly improved as an Offense.

The nagging thing in my head is just how rude Payton is with media. Like, you don't HAVE to be a ****, mate. 

Its one thing to be a bit off with people who've sold you down the river but Payton has been a condescending moron to the media ever since he got here. That rubs me the wrong way.

Payton is a POS. Guy is coasting off a hefty salary. He'll be at Oaklawn (racetrack) betting on the ponies and living it up. I'm not a fan of the "everyone is at fault but me and how dare you question me" mentality he gives off. That might have worked while he was winning the division in NO, but until he does literally anything of note in Denver, and that includes, at a minimum, a winning record, he has zero room to talk. He has no goodwill built up here and will lose support quickly with his attitude.

• Like 1