Bears extend K Cairo Santos for 4 years, $16M ($9.5M gtd)

TheKillerNacho

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-kicker-cairo-santos-agree-to-four-year-contract-extension-worth-16-million-per-report/

Santos has converted 90.5% of his field-goal attempts since joining the Bears in 2020, making 105 out of 116 attempted, and sits as the most accurate kicker in franchise history. 

This season, Santos is tied for 10th in field-goal percentage (93.1) and is tied for 30th in extra point percentage (92.3). He's been especially accurate from long range this season. converting all six of his field goal attempts from 50-plus yards. His performance this season earned him the NFC's Special Teams Player of the Month in November.

43 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I remember this guy going 0-4 for the Titans against the Bills in 2019, in a 7 point loss lol.

I remember him kicking for the Chiefs at a Bengals game and I asked a Chiefs fan "Is your kicker taller than a fifth grader?".  It was astounding the difference seeing him next to offensive linemen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I remember him kicking for the Chiefs at a Bengals game and I asked a Chiefs fan "Is your kicker taller than a fifth grader?".  It was astounding the difference seeing him next to offensive linemen.

Yeah he's definitely a small dude lol when he kicked for us he was fairly accurate but his size limits him so much, he was a lost cause kicked over 50+ and touchbacks on kickoffs were few and far between. Glad he made a place though, not too many Brazilian dudes in the NFL.

50 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Cool.  Parameters set for Evan McPherson's upcoming extension.  Probably a half to a full mill more per season.

Pretty sure McPherson will look past this and point to Daniel Carlson's and argue it's a year or two outdated and needs a little juicing.

Y'all have to remember it's about what he did to earn this. These rich owners can pay men who succesfully put in good work and good performances for their franchise. "Santos has converted 90.5% of his field-goal attempts since joining the Bears in 2020, making 105 out of 116 attempted, and sits as the most accurate kicker in franchise history. " 

The above quote states why Santos earned this money. Congrats to Cairo and his family. 

• Like 4

Mu understanding is that this deal essentially replaces the two void years in his previous contract, as almost all of the guaranteed money will be paid out in the next two years.

He's been rock solid for the Bears.  He may not be hitting 60 yarders, but after the revolving door the bears had at that position after they cut Robbie Gould, I will take it.

• Like 1