2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

23 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, and odds are probably slim since it would be intra-division.. but with Telesco and JoJo here, would anybody be surprised if they tried to pry Herbert from LA? Given that they are both responsible for scouting, drafting and extending him, and Harbaugh in position to rebuild how he sees fit + they are currently around 44 mil over the cap and he could draft JJ if he really wants him and believes in him.. would anybody scoff at 13, 44, 77 and a 2025 1st. I don’t think he’s elite, but I think he’s good enough to battle with, especially with our offensive talent. Would Jim do it? And would you guys like the move or rather trade up/trade down and go the rookie route?

there is no way the Chargers trade Herbert.  i don’t like saying absolutely no chance but in this case there’s no chance.  the chargers are already 45m over the cap and trading Herbert would put 108m (89m cap hit after subtracting his salary) of dead cap on the books.  even if they cut every player on their roster that would save them money, let all their FAs leave, and filled the roster out with draft picks and UDFAs they couldn’t get under the cap.

Also, Harbaugh choose LA because he wanted to have Herbert as his QB.  yes it wasn’t the top reason but it was definitely top 3.  i don’t think he wants to rebuild completely in his first year.

we have to do something big at DT this off-season and this draft lacks high end DT talent.  while Chris Jones would be ideal i think Christian Wilkins from Miami would be almost just as good for us.  Wilkins is a very good run defender as well as pass rusher.   he’s going to get paid (i’d guess 23m per over 4 years) so he isn’t cheap but if we can’t lure Jones because he gets too expensive or just wants to go elsewhere then Wilkins would be a great option.  if Wilkins can’t be had then Justin Madubuike would be another premier signing option.  I was very high on him in the 2020 draft.  he made a leap this year going from 5.( to 13 sacks.  my fear about him though is he paying him like a 13 sack player and only getting 8 once he leaves that Baltimore defense.  i wouldn’t go over 20/21M per for him.

Raekwon Davis (Miami) missed the entire year with a knee injury and wouldn’t be a big time DT but could be a value signing.  he’s only 26 years old too.  Javon Kinlaw is another guy you could go after if we can’t land a top guy.  he’s had a lot of injuries in SF but has potential to be a quality starter if he can stay healthy.

if we can’t land a top guy other options like bringing back Denico Autry, whose 34 but had 11.5 sacks last year. he never should have been allowed to leave in FA.  why reggie paid Justin Ellis, a slightly above average NT, over an up and coming 3T pass rusher still bothers me. Quinton Jefferson coming back as a piece wouldn’t be bad either.

Id like to Bring John Jenkins back, even if he is 34 years old.  He seemed to have something left in the tank for one more year.   he also wear able to play 594 which is the most in his career and 2-3x snaps his most recent seasons.   if not, Leki Foti would be a good option for NT who would be cheap yet perform well. i told you all Adam Butler would be a very good signing from the minute it was announced (and i was right) and i’d like to bring him back next year.  he’ll be cheap and can be an effective rotational piece.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 4:34 AM, Darbsk said:

This is an interesting thought.

If we’re thinking of giving up multiple firsts for a limited, untested rookie (they all have red flags and potential issues in my book, no safe prospect there), then I’ve said it might be better to explore the possibility of a proven QB like Herbert. All these rookie QBs to me have a high bust chance.

With regards to Herbert, I think he’s tremendously talented, Mahones is clearly the best QB in the league but Herbert, for me, is in that very close second tier of QBs with guys like Jackson, Allen, Burrow, Rodgers depending on health, maybe Stroud next year. All of those are very very good players and franchise guys for a decade.

It would be a very bold move from Harbaugh to move on from a Pro Bowl level QB for a rookie but he’s got a pretty big ego so I could see the possibility albeit very unlikely.

If we could get Herbert for what you’ve proposed above or even a similar amount to that which we’d have to give up to draft a rookie like Daniels, to me that would be an absolute no brainer. I’d do that without hesitation.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:52 PM, JarrodR86 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, and odds are probably slim since it would be intra-division.. but with Telesco and JoJo here, would anybody be surprised if they tried to pry Herbert from LA? Given that they are both responsible for scouting, drafting and extending him, and Harbaugh in position to rebuild how he sees fit + they are currently around 44 mil over the cap and he could draft JJ if he really wants him and believes in him.. would anybody scoff at 13, 44, 77 and a 2025 1st. I don’t think he’s elite, but I think he’s good enough to battle with, especially with our offensive talent. Would Jim do it? And would you guys like the move or rather trade up/trade down and go the rookie route?

I'd say there's less than a 1% chance they trade him and even less of a chance that they'd trade him to a division rival.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wanted him so bad in the draft that year and we took Karl Joseph, lol.

Spotrac has Jones market value at 3 yr/$85M

Snead's market value is 4 yr/$65M

Signing both would solidify our defense for the next 3-4 years.  We could literally just draft a LB in the 2nd/3rd round and I feel like we would be fully set to be a top 5-10 defense this upcoming year.  Maxx Crosby would hit 20 sacks.  Koonce would hit double digits.  Man what a free agency that would be.  KC gets much weaker while we get much stronger.

7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Signing both would solidify our defense for the next 3-4 years.  We could literally just draft a LB in the 2nd/3rd round and I feel like we would be fully set to be a top 5-10 defense this upcoming year.  Maxx Crosby would hit 20 sacks.  Koonce would hit double digits.  Man what a free agency that would be.  KC gets much weaker while we get much stronger.

Do we have the cap to do something like that? If you can plug the holes at DT/CB in FA - I'd feel way better about trading up to 3 to get Jayden Daniels. 

26 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Do we have the cap to do something like that? If you can plug the holes at DT/CB in FA - I'd feel way better about trading up to 3 to get Jayden Daniels. 

I think we would need to make a couple of cuts to swing it.  Maybe modify a couple of contracts.  We currently have 43M in cap space.  Designating Jimmy G and Hunter Renfrow as post June 1st cuts would free up another 20M+.  I would do that in a heart beat.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Agreed. Taking away arguably KC's best two defenders and adding them to Vegas would be huge. However I don't think KC will let them walk without an enormous fight. I know they have some big other guys to retain and all but man, those caliber guys don't hit FA often.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Agreed. Taking away arguably KC's best two defenders and adding them to Vegas would be huge. However I don't think KC will let them walk without an enormous fight. I know they have some big other guys to retain and all but man, those caliber guys don't hit FA often.

They have 22M in cap space right now.  I think we can beat them in a game of who wants to pay more.  It's the other big spenders in FA that we have to worry about.

24 minutes ago, Jerry said:

They have 22M in cap space right now.  I think we can beat them in a game of who wants to pay more.  It's the other big spenders in FA that we have to worry about.

Mahomes will restructure and free up money to bring players back. Too bad we have so much dead money in Jimmy and Jones. Huge contracts to elite players dont hurt, its when youre paying bums like the Raiders are and getting absolutely nothing in return that kills. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Mahomes will restructure and free up money to bring players back. Too bad we have so much dead money in Jimmy and Jones. Huge contracts to elite players dont hurt, its when youre paying bums like the Raiders are and getting absolutely nothing in return that kills. 

I need Mahomes to be a greedy f'ing pig.  I would hate for them to retain their nucleus.  

KC will keep at least one of them. I can see them struggle to keep Jones because his demands will be huge and it just won’t be feasible for them again.

They’ll probably get something done with Sneed, though.

And I’d give Jones whatever the hell he wants. He’s that good.