2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Man, what to do with Landry. These are better numbers than I thought he was going to get, admittedly, though we all knew he was a tremendously quick and fluid athlete. Still wonder if his best fit isn't as a stand up olb rushing edge. I'm still not sold on him being a consistent rusher at the next level. 

Chubb had somewhat of a subpar 3 cone time, but I overall I really liked his numbers and I think he's going to be a good fit as a pass rushing 4-3 hand in the dirt edge. 

I like Landry more and more. Thought his tape this year wasnt great for different reasons but he's had 2 years of stellar college production, which is rare. He reminds alot of Von Miller in that regard as I remember alot ppl being down on Miller his last year in school because he didnt improve on his standout junior campaign. Landry is not the athlete Miller was but I do think he has the skills to be a terror on edge. Its his inconsistency against the run and his counter moves he needs to work on the be a upper echelon player. Dont know if I like him@9 but if we trade back, I think he should defintely be in the conversation. He's so different from Thomas and Buckner that going D-Line 4 years in a row wouldn't matter to me.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I like Landry more and more. Thought his tape this year wasnt great for different reasons but he's had 2 years of stellar college production, which is rare. He reminds alot of Von Miller in that regard as I remember alot ppl being down on Miller his last year in school because he didnt improve on his standout sophomore campaign. Landry is not the athlete Miller was but I do think he has the skills to be a terror on edge. Its his inconsistency against the run and his counter moves he needs to work on the be a upper echelon player. Dont know if I like him@9 but if we trade back, I think he should defintely be in the conversation. He's so different from Thomas and Buckner that going D-Line 4 years in a row wouldn't matter to me.

I'm still not taking him before round 2, though I would understand it if we traded back and took him in the later end of the first. I still think he's going to have all sorts of issues with athletic tackles. He lacks game power - if tackles get a grip on him at the next level, he's toast. Does not shed blocking. Complete washout in the run game, calling him "inconsistent" is putting it mildly. His moves definitely need to be worked on, but that is fully coachable, so I'm not worried about that too much. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm still not taking him before round 2, though I would understand it if we traded back and took him in the later end of the first. I still think he's going to have all sorts of issues with athletic tackles. He lacks game power - if tackles get a grip on him at the next level, he's toast. Does not shed blocking. Complete washout in the run game, calling him "inconsistent" is putting it mildly. His moves definitely need to be worked on, but that is fully coachable, so I'm not worried about that too much. 

His play against the run was better in 2016. I think he converts speed to power just fine. He's much better than a guy like Vic Beasley in that regard. Just seemed like he was soley playing for sacks this year. Didnt have the all-around game like his tape from 2016. Im not worried about him as a run defender. I can name a slew of edge guys who were abysmal run defenders in college who were at least serviceable as pros and had those same concerns. I think two years of solid, if not excellent numbers rushing the passer holds more weight IMO. And his triangle number SHOULD be enough to make a GM wonder what I good D-Line coach could coax out of him. They say he's a extremely hard-worker also and solid locker room guy. I think his fit at Leo could be great. He does need to work on his bull-rush and hands but I think he has a great bend and a killer twitch off the edge that could be trouble for OTs at the next level. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Wow, Hubbard with a 6.84 3-cone. Did not see that coming at all. 

His vert and broad were just an inch short of Landry. Wasn't expecting that kind of athleticism.  Wish he had run the 40. I hate when guys want to do it on fields that are not the same as everyone else and then with hand timing which always makes them look faster than combine times.

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Harold Landry's weight/40/3-cone = 252 lbs/4.65 40/6.88 3-cone

Only 2 EDGE defenders since 1987 of at least 250 pounds bested or tied both his 40 and 3-cone

Jordan Willis, 2017:  4.53/6.85
DeMarcus Ware, 2005: 4.65/6.85

https://t.co/XEch9MhTge

As someone already pointed out Hubbard bested his 3-cone and he weighed in at 270.  That's a really impressive quickness for a guy that b igg.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Man, what to do with Landry. These are better numbers than I thought he was going to get, admittedly, though we all knew he was a tremendously quick and fluid athlete. Still wonder if his best fit isn't as a stand up olb rushing edge. I'm still not sold on him being a consistent rusher at the next level. 

Chubb had somewhat of a subpar 3 cone time, but I overall I really liked his numbers and I think he's going to be a good fit as a pass rushing 4-3 hand in the dirt edge. 

Too bad we don't have Baalke anymore, because we'd know for sure we are not taking Landry. His arms aren't long enough for Trent! But with John, who knows?!

8 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Too bad we don't have Baalke anymore, because we'd know for sure we are not taking Landry. His arms aren't long enough for Trent! But with John, who knows?!

Haha. I know Trent gets a lot of crap for that, but I mean that is a pretty good trait to have. Trent Brown has 36” arms, Aldon had 35 3/8” arms, Aaron Lynch had 34” arms coming out. I’d say Trent Brown and Aaron Lynch have easily outplayed their draft position, and if not for Aldon Smith’s off-field issues would be on his way to the HOF. Obviously not the only trait that matters, but I don’t think it’s something that should be overlooked.

His arms are longer than Beasley, who seems to be doing just fine and is of similar physical statue. I look at arm length as a plus but it shouldn't necessarily be a deterrent when evaluating edge prospects.

So not many prospects draft stock dropped during the combine huh? Some like Brown may have, but overall seems like damn near everyone tested as well as expected. 

And we should be rooting for Cousins to go to Minny so the Broncos take a QB at #5? 

On 3/3/2018 at 6:14 PM, oldman9er said:

THOMAS, JORDAN

Mississippi St.

TE - 6054 - 265 lbs - 34 1/8" arms - 11" hands - 4.74 speed 40 time - 10'3" broad j - 4.20 shuttle - 7.15 3 cone

That was a good showing, by the numbers. I have yet to watch the TE drills. Anyone notice him? 

I noticed him, oldie. He had NOT ONE dropped pass (or double catches even) in any of the drills. Veered a little off the straight line for the gauntlet, and he's not a sharp route runner, but he can really move well for a big oaf. I wasn't blown away by any TEs during the drills, but some of the top ones were solid, and the numbers from Gesicki were of course  O.o ...

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So not many prospects draft stock dropped during the combine huh? Some like Brown may have, but overall seems like damn near everyone tested as well as expected. 

And we should be rooting for Cousins to go to Minny so the Broncos take a QB at #5? 

I was feeling really good about Tim Settle, but man, I'm going to have to go back for another look. He looked sluggish and lumbering for much of the drills, and his numbers were atrocious. Film >>>> numbers.. but I found him disappointing this weekend. 

Was also very disappointed to learn or see a few good prospects miss out with injuries .

(Ron Jones, Roquan, Darius Leonard, Anthony Miller stand out)

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There were definitely a few. 

Ronald Jones could have hurt himself some - especially when a couple of the others looked better than anticipated. I only say he could have hurt himself though because some other running backs in that range did better than expected, particularly Nick Chubb. He'll have an easy chance to rectify it at his pro day provided he gets healthy, but if he doesn't, I think he'll take a minor slide. Wadley could end up being a 7th round flier guy. Really bad 40 considering his size, and the vert was terribad. A guy like Chase Edmonds, despite his propensity for wanting to bounce everything to the outside which won't work at the next level, may have passed him up. Wadley would essentially be a committee back at the next level given his size, and now he offers neither superior speed or explosion based on the numbers. 

Jordan Lasley had a bad combine drill wise, which is crazy to me. Thought he was a stud who was only hindered by his off the field stuff but on pure receiving talent may have been a top 3-4 receiver in this draft.  But he seriously couldn't catch a single thing cleanly. Hurst may have taken a hit with the heart defect, though Star had that and was still picked top 15. Billy Price would take a big stumble if his torn pec requires surgery. Oldie mentioned Settle earlier as having a struggled and I would definitely agree with that. Key is probably a third round guy now. There was nothing necessarily awful about his numbers, but they definitely weren't great. All were sort of meh. Given his off the field issues, I don't think he goes in the first two rounds. 

Still, we haven't found out who failed the drug test yet (there are bound to be a couple), and who bombed their interviews. 

Archived