2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Holy hell,  the dead have risen this week! Both you and @P_locniners have returned. Welcome back, friends! Don't be strangers during our Garoppolo Super Bowl years!

(And yeah, your comment is dead on, too)

Thanks. :-) It has been a while since the great Patrick Willis - Adam Carriker wars of 2007. Just a touch different landscape.

5 hours ago, sherm said:

After signing Sherman I doubt we grab a CB @ 9. Hopefully we can still draft either Isaiah Oliver or Isaac Yiadom on day 2 of the draft. 

Yeah.  I've had Ward at the top of my list.  But with Sherman signed I guess it's on to another position.

My projected pick for the 49ers was Roquan Smith before hearing that he was medically red flagged at the combine. I doubt the 49ers want another injury-prone linebacker! 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz59UZW2gKq

Well then, that certainly changes things. Anyone know what he is dealing with? Knee issues? Shoulder? 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz59UZW2gKq

Well then, that certainly changes things. Anyone know what he is dealing with? Knee issues? Shoulder? 

I saw this too, but haven't heard a peep about it from anywhere else. Walter has sources, but he's a little below fully reliable for me. You'd think something like this would be a bigger national story. Could he one team flagged him or are sending out smoke 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I saw this too, but haven't heard a peep about it from anywhere else. Walter has sources, but he's a little below fully reliable for me. You'd think something like this would be a bigger national story. Could he one team flagged him or are sending out smoke 

I saw it on Tony Pauline's site first (http://draftanalyst.com/), which is where I think Walter saw it (He references him a ton). Roquan didn't miss many games in college so they must've seen something somewhere to alarm them. Still shocking.

33 minutes ago, MasherSF said:

I saw it on Tony Pauline's site first (http://draftanalyst.com/), which is where I think Walter saw it (He references him a ton). Roquan didn't miss many games in college so they must've seen something somewhere to alarm them. Still shocking.

Interesting. Lorenzo Carter was red flagged as well

With Sherman on board I've been thinking about who I want now instead of Ward.  I've been gving some serious thought to Davenport.  He falls in the same category for me as Landry - high risk, high reward.  But he might have even a higher upside than Landry.  If sign another solid guy or two in the FA period I'll be a lot more willing to take a bigger risk with that first pick.

Re: Sherman--I don't understand why people have confidence in a player who has yet to come back from Achilles surgery. Won't even be able to run until Training Camp. Not thrilled about the guy, but even less so the injury he is coming back from. I would still consider a DB as a day 1 or at least 2 need.

Have confidence? I don't think anyone here has full confidence that he will be back 100% until he shows it. However, he will supposedly be back on the field in June and should be ready to go from day one in training camp. Most of us still want to take a corner either in the 2nd round or with one of our 3rd round picks. Even if he is healthy, he's only here for a few years and we are super thin at that position that it makes sense to get another corner or two in the draft or free agency. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Re: Sherman--I don't understand why people have confidence in a player who has yet to come back from Achilles surgery. Won't even be able to run until Training Camp. Not thrilled about the guy, but even less so the injury he is coming back from. I would still consider a DB as a day 1 or at least 2 need.

If he's not back to the player he used to be, we cut him next year and go looking for someone else. If he is, we got a great player. In both cases, he can probably help out Akhello become an even better player. If we were counting on Sherman for a superbowl push, then yeah, I'd be concerned. But are we there yet? I mean, it's not impossible. But if we don't win the Superbowl, I doubt it will be because of that one cornerback we overpaid while he was recovering from an injury. It will be because of a lack of pass rush, Foster always being injured when we need him, our running game not clicking, or any number of reasons. But only because of Sherman? I doubt it. So I feel it's a low risk/high reward kind of deal that only involves Jed's money. And given the way his deal is structured, he's not actually guaranteed 13m this year, is he? He has his signing bonus (5m), his base salary, and then the rest is incentives. If he's not back 100% and doesn't play well, we simply don't dress him for games and that saves us money, then we cut him, and we move on with minimal consequence. So... that's that. 

I would draft a CB as well. I mean, we have Spoon, Sherman and Williams... Is Mabin really any good? We have a couple of no names who were barely good enough for the PS. If there's another Spoon in the third this year, I'd jump on it. Hopefully we can fix the pass rush with one of the first two picks, though. Or else it won't matter who we have in the secondary.

Archived