2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

http://walterfootball.com/mocks/publishedmock/65672

Yes its walterfootball but thoughts on moving up to five to get Chubb?

At first I missed the part about getting back their third and thought that both of our thirds was too much to give up.  The one we get back is way lower, still it's a third. So I thinmk this is a reasoanble trade. Pass rusher is the second most important position on the team.  We need one.  If we do as well over the next couple fo years as I expect we will we will never be this close to getting one with paying a whole lot more - unless maybe there's some year where there are just a bunch of them. Even them I think a bidding war would happen and we'd still have to pay a lot.  I guess if they think he can be pro bowl type edge guy this would be worth considering. Admittedly that's a big IF.

50 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

At first I missed the part about getting back their third and thought that both of our thirds was too much to give up.  The one we get back is way lower, still it's a third. So I thinmk this is a reasoanble trade. Pass rusher is the second most important position on the team.  We need one.  If we do as well over the next couple fo years as I expect we will we will never be this close to getting one with paying a whole lot more - unless maybe there's some year where there are just a bunch of them. Even them I think a bidding war would happen and we'd still have to pay a lot.  I guess if they think he can be pro bowl type edge guy this would be worth considering. Admittedly that's a big IF.

I agree. I don't mind what is essentially a 3rd and swap of 3rds for Chubb if we believe he's a pro bowl pass rusher and not simply the best available. Short of injury or trade, we won't be picking top 10 again for a while. But, I don't know that I even want to be in on Chubb anymore. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I agree. I don't mind what is essentially a 3rd and swap of 3rds for Chubb if we believe he's a pro bowl pass rusher and not simply the best available. Short of injury or trade, we won't be picking top 10 again for a while. But, I don't know that I even want to be in on Chubb anymore. 

I'm still not convinced that he's a leo for us. I had been biding my time over and over saying that I wanted to wait for the combine to see what Chubb did because I didn't know that he was the greatest fit at leo and thought he was more of a big end which would just overlap too much with the guys that we already have. The combine didn't assuage any fears that he's not a fit. I don't know...sometimes we over analyze stuff like that, and I'm plenty of guilty of that in terms of fits and positions and etc etc etc. But I really don't know if Chubb is that guy for that spot. I like him just fine as a prospect, but he's not the type of guy I think of when I think of what we want from a leo. 

But what do i know. I loved Barnett last year and thought the wide 9 was an awful fit for him schematically, but he seemed to do just fine to be honest. 

Our FO needs to really do a good job of evaluation this year. Give up a third and move down in the third to get Chubb? Sure - if he's a stud pass rusher. Take Landry instead at 9? Sure if he's going to turn out to be the best pass rusher coming out of this class. Same with Davenport. And to me all of those are a bit of a force - not that I think they might not be worth it, but I'm a lot surer about other guys making it at other positions. I think Fitzpatrick and Ward are potential pro bowlers. Nelson of course can be a regular pro bowler. Even James can turn out to be a pro bowler. If there's notan injury problem with Smith then he seems to be a can't miss LB and everyone, including NFL guys whose opinion I respect, seems to think Edmuinds can be a stud.  A couple of those guys will be taken before our pick, but there will still be one heck of a big decision to make when the time comes.

8 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

I am completely against the Niners drafting any kind of interior D-Lineman with our first pick lol

FIFY. We need an edge pass rusher, there is no doubt. 

I am all for trading up for Chubb. That trade scenario with the broncos would basically be moving down one spot in last year's draft, and moving up 4 spots in this year's draft plus a drop down in the third. That seems like a really easy decision, let's go get our guy. 

Even if he isn't a 'leo' per se in the sense he isn't a twitchy, speed rusher necessarily, he's an all around player who has an array of moves and who has been extremely productive. He's a natural defensive end, we will make it work. 

18 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Colts get #6, 2 2nd round picks this year and one next year.

When trades happen well before the draft, and it's not for #1, I secretly wish the guy they moved up for is actually taken before them. I'm a sadist.

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

When trades happen well before the draft, and it's not for #1, I secretly wish the guy they moved up for is actually taken before them. I'm a sadist.

This is one of the dumbest moves I've seen. Ok, it's clear the Jets need/want a QB. Cool. I get it. But unless they're okay with any of the three top choices, this is the dumbest time to make the move. You just alerted every other team that wants a QB to how high they need to move to get one. This is a trade you make on draft day, or AT least after other teams move up to 1 and 2.

26 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is one of the dumbest moves I've seen. Ok, it's clear the Jets need/want a QB. Cool. I get it. But unless they're okay with any of the three top choices, this is the dumbest time to make the move. You just alerted every other team that wants a QB to how high they need to move to get one. This is a trade you make on draft day, or AT least after other teams move up to 1 and 2.

Joke's on you, good sir, they did it for Chubb!

No, seriously...I would assume (or hope), that the team has very similar grades on three of the four quarterbacks available, and thus they don't care. Otherwise, this really is a horrible deal. Set this up in principle, then wait for draft day to consummate when you're player is there. Couldn't agree more. 

Archived