2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

30 minutes ago, John232 said:

Depending on what happens in FA, if we miss out on a big name receiver, I could see us going Sutton at 9/10 if the elite guys are gone. Wouldn't love it, but I'd believe in Shanny and Co. to utilize them correctly and coach them up. 

Sutton/Garcon/Goodwin would be pretty fun to watch. If all the elite guys are gone, I hope someone trades up to our spot for Baker. 

41 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'd have a hard time imagining that he'd be the best talent left on the board, or that we'd reach for a receiver. I don't think Kyle or John are desperate for a receiver. Any team would love to find a #1 WR, of course, but I don't know that Sutton is a top 10 talent. Outside of QB and safety (and the special teams), we can afford to upgrade every single position. So why reach for any of them? Just take the best player.

Yeah, probably not. But if we grab Ansah, a corner and a center in FA...and Nelson isn't there at 9. I wouldn't put it past them because that would sort of check off the next "need", while still drafting a guy who has some legit WR1 upside. I personally think people are starting to do the counter circle jerk with Sutton a bit too much. He might have been over hyped before the year started. 

Better late than never, I guess.. but this dude sounds pretty intriguing. I have the games dvr'd, so will be looking specifically at some of the targets mentioned in here. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-east-west-shrine-game-nflpa-bowl-2018-nfl-draft-prospects-to-watch

Parry Nickerson is undersized by NFL standards, but he should stand out on defense during the NFLPA Bowl as he caps off a dominant two-year stretch in coverage. In the last two seasons combined, Parry only allowed two touchdowns but collected 10 interceptions and 11 passes broken up. Opposing quarterbacks had a 43.2 passer rating when throwing into Nickerson’s coverage in 2017 and only 32.5 in 2016. His ability to make plays on the ball will intrigue NFL teams, and his six interceptions this season ranked him No. 2 behind only Iowa’s Josh Jackson among all FBS draft-eligible cornerbacks.

Simmie Cobbs reminds me of Michael Thomas. My guess is he'll go in the 2nd rd similar to Thomas after his 40 time...which I expect to be 4.55. The tape shows a guy knows how to get open and when covered can go up and get the ball. With the wr we already have I'd love to get Jimmy G and big body wr like Cobbs.

49ers Interviews from East Team

WR Regis Cibasu, University of Montreal
S Tre Flowers, Oklahoma State
RB D'Ernest Johnson, USF
OT Jamar McGloster, Syracuse
LB Jacob Pugh, Florida State
DE Chad Thomas, Miami
LB Matthew Thomas, Florida State

49ers Interviews from West Team

OT Zachary Crabtree, Oklahoma
CB Davontae Harris, Illinois State
OT Mark Korte, Alberta
DT Bilal Nichols, Delaware
WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State

Players we interviewed leading up to the east / west shrine game. We actually met with D'Ernest Johnson twice, so someone to potentially keep an eye on there. Thomas is an interesting name, had very good practices, is very talented, but never put anything together consistently on the field production wise. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

49ers Interviews from East Team

WR Regis Cibasu, University of Montreal
S Tre Flowers, Oklahoma State
RB D'Ernest Johnson, USF
OT Jamar McGloster, Syracuse
LB Jacob Pugh, Florida State
DE Chad Thomas, Miami
LB Matthew Thomas, Florida State

49ers Interviews from West Team

OT Zachary Crabtree, Oklahoma
CB Davontae Harris, Illinois State
OT Mark Korte, Alberta
DT Bilal Nichols, Delaware
WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State

Players we interviewed leading up to the east / west shrine game. We actually met with D'Ernest Johnson twice, so someone to potentially keep an eye on there. Thomas is an interesting name, had very good practices, is very talented, but never put anything together consistently on the field production wise. 

Looking at Johnson's stats, he fits the Shanahan mold, I guess. He was used in the passing game a bit, so I guess that's not a coincidence we're interested.

Bilal Nichols look a very powerful interior disruptor.

I just read a comment from an NFL scout what said he thinks Ward is going to run around a 4.3 forty. If he does that he could cement himself as the top CB ... although of course quickness, reaction, ball skills, tackling ability, and all that come into play too.

22 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I just read a comment from an NFL scout what said he thinks Ward is going to run around a 4.3 forty. If he does that he could cement himself as the top CB ... although of course quickness, reaction, ball skills, tackling ability, and all that come into play too.

I'm fairly certain he'll run between 4.3 - 4.4. 

On 1/21/2018 at 12:21 AM, sherm said:

Simmie Cobbs reminds me of Michael Thomas. My guess is he'll go in the 2nd rd similar to Thomas after his 40 time...which I expect to be 4.55. The tape shows a guy knows how to get open and when covered can go up and get the ball. With the wr we already have I'd love to get Jimmy G and big body wr like Cobbs.

I dont see it. Thomas was looked like a potential #1 WR at the next level, as a prospect. His hands were sort of a question but athletically, i thought he was very similar to Andre Johnson. Just didn't have the long speed Johnson had.

Cobbs is a possession WR at the next level, very similar to a Mike Evans or that tall kid that used to play for the Chargers, whose name escapes me at the moment. Not fast enough nor quick-twitch enough to be able to get off press coverage but will be able to use their length to make contested catches, more often than not.

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I dont see it. Thomas was looked like a potential #1 WR at the next level, as a prospect. His hands were sort of a question but athletically, i thought he was very similar to Andre Johnson. Just didn't have the long speed Johnson had.

Cobbs is a possession WR at the next level, very similar to a Mike Evans or that tall kid that used to play for the Chargers, whose name escapes me at the moment. Not fast enough nor quick-twitch enough to be able to get off press coverage but will be able to use their length to make contested catches, more often than not.

Mike Evans is  possession WR? In what world? But hey if Cobbs is anything close to Evans or Vincent Jackson (I think that's who you were referring to), I will be a very happy man. Jackson to me was the complete opposite of a possession WR though. He was instead a big play WR that didn't always have a high number of catches, but didn't need them to eclipse the 1,000 yard mark. 

Archived