Rapaport: Expect Bears to retain Eberflus as head coach in 2024

G08

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That’s Dallas.  They make a lot more $$$ than Bears.  There is salary cap and there is salary cap.   You can structure contracts with cash upfront or add years to future and spread cap hits and have a much more expensive roster than others.

It’s not just Dallas. It’s Philly. It’s NO too. And MIA. And the Jets. And the Rams. But isn’t that kind of the point though? Whether you’re paying Fields $40M+ in 2 years with several other guys on 1st rounder contracts, or $10M to Caleb and more to the other guys you can “afford” in FA, you’re spending from the same budget. The impact of the rookie contract QB thing is almost entirely if not entirely minimized if you’re not willing to outlay the added cash to take advantage of it. 

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’ve been told not good as far as Warrens feelings on Harbaugh.

This feels more like the McCaskeys showed interest in Harbaugh, and the rest of the decision makers had balked at it. (Mostly because he wants full control) The Bears are a complete afterthought in this article, but I’m sure many of the Fanbase will use it as proof of something 

I'm not even sure it's that the Bears are afterthoughts...more that it states the obvious...

Harbaugh isn't stupid enough to go to Carolina...other than that every team with an opening will probably want to speak to him...that is nothing new IMO...

I also still struggle to see us having an opening...I am still convinced that Poles came here with some real assurances...could have been why he picked here over Minnesota...the rumors always have been in his interview he told George & co this teams' roster sucked...he then said before the start of this season there were still holes on the roster...does he real then fire Flus after 8 wins and a season where it is clear Flus for all his flaws is an outstanding leader of men...the #1 trait any HC needs to have when Poles knows he has still never given him a complete roster? I just don't see it to be honest.

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s not just Dallas. It’s Philly. It’s NO too. And MIA. And the Jets. And the Rams. But isn’t that kind of the point though? Whether you’re paying Fields $40M+ in 2 years with several other guys on 1st rounder contracts, or $10M to Caleb and more to the other guys you can “afford” in FA, you’re spending from the same budget. The impact of the rookie contract QB thing is almost entirely if not entirely minimized if you’re not willing to outlay the added cash to take advantage of it. 

It’s still an advantage it’s just relative.  

Finding a way to lose 3 games in a single season that all had a 95+% chance of winning could (and should IMO) be a damning mark in Eberflus' reviews too. Obviously you can't make the decision solely off of it but those were pretty ridiculous collapses.

14 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Finding a way to lose 3 games in a single season that all had a 95+% chance of winning could (and should IMO) be a damning mark in Eberflus' reviews too. Obviously you can't make the decision solely off of it but those were pretty ridiculous collapses.

I don't think anyone would disagree that losing all three of those games was bad...but two things to remember...

1. We were toe-to-toe late with two good play off teams & a Broncos team who were playing good football at the time not just a few bad teams we should have beaten.

2. If we had another Sweat on the field or a true #2 receiver or even just guys like Stevenson or Gervon playing the way they are now would we still lose those games? More talent at key spots and we don't lose those games IMO.

The only reason it would make sense to fire Flus would be if the decision has already been made to draft Caleb because you HAVE to pair that kid with an offensive minded HC...get Ben Johnson if your taking Caleb.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think anyone would disagree that losing all three of those games was bad...but two things to remember...

1. We were toe-to-toe late with two good play off teams & a Broncos team who were playing good football at the time not just a few bad teams we should have beaten.

2. If we had another Sweat on the field or a true #2 receiver or even just guys like Stevenson or Gervon playing the way they are now would we still lose those games? More talent at key spots and we don't lose those games IMO.

At the time, the Broncos were 0-3 and had just given up 70 points the week prior

Broncos were definitely not playing good football at the time. They were 0-3 and just came off a 20-70 beatdown. They also lost to WAS and the McDanield-led Raiders. They then went on to lose to the Jets the next week. They were in talks of being a top pick with Chicago at the time, who was in the running for 1.1 and 1.2.

Maybe they do maybe they don't. For arguments sake, it's just as easy to say if the Bears had Harbaugh or Johnson that they don't lose those games. Or a better QB puts up points vs CLE. Better talent at HC and QB and those games get sealed away.

Just now, Sugashane said:

Broncos were definitely definitely not playing good football at the time. They were 0-3 and just came off a 20-70 beatdown. They also lost to WAS and the McDanield-led Raiders. They then went on to lose to the Jets the next week. They were in talks of being a top pick with Chicago at the time, who was in the running for 1.1 and 1.2.

Maybe they do maybe they don't. For arguments sake, it's just as easy to say if the Bears had Harbaugh or Johnson that they don't lose those games. Or a better QB puts up points vs CLE. Better talent at HC and QB and those games get sealed away.

True the Broncos were coming off some tough losses but they looked solid against us (not a high bar at the time I grant you) but then really kicked on...much like we did later in the year...

No one can say for sure more talent stops us losing those games but as we are seeing around the league today even with quality coaches if you don't have the talent your going to be on the end of a beating...Bengals currently destroying the Browns shows that much considering they were probably the hottest team in the AFC coming into today.

The only reason it would make sense to fire Flus would be if the decision has already been made to draft Caleb because you HAVE to pair that kid with an offensive minded HC...get Ben Johnson if your taking Caleb.

I said it before - you can take Caleb with keeping Flus (I wouldn’t, but for argument’s sake), but if so you gotta extend Flus. You’ll get a really good OC under an extended Flus, but your options are far more limited under lame duck Flus and that’d be malpractice. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I said it before - you can take Caleb with keeping Flus (I wouldn’t, but for argument’s sake), but if so you gotta extend Flus. You’ll get a really good OC under an extended Flus, but your options are far more limited under lame duck Flus and that’d be malpractice. 

Sadly the Bears are repeat offenders of that too. Wasted time on both Tru and Fields' deals.

Regardless of what happens I just want the Bears to stop being a joke. Idc who does it at HC or QB as long as it happens.

• Like 1