Rapaport: Expect Bears to retain Eberflus as head coach in 2024

G08

I do hope Eberflus keeps calling plays on defense in 2024 and beyond. He seems to have a knack for it which, most importantly, the players have recognized and respect.

This means that the defensive coordinator will be a bit neutered, which makes me believe someone like Leslie Frazier may not be interested in the job.

Shoot, if Phil Snow wants the job, give it to him.

It also makes me think the offensive coordinator will need to be someone who can run that side of the ball without any oversight (but still should receive some oversight). I'm not sure Getsy is that guy, but I digress.

Edited by G08

Flus is too conservative.... gives me Lovie Smith flashbacks.... and it's cost us 3 games this year already.

Also, I don't see how we attract a decent OC here with a lame duck HC, nor am I at all excited about potentially keeping Bustin or pairing a rookie QB with yet another lame duck HC.

22 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Flus is too conservative.... gives me Lovie Smith flashbacks.... and it's cost us 3 games this year already.

Also, I don't see how we attract a decent OC here with a lame duck HC, nor am I at all excited about potentially keeping Bustin or pairing a rookie QB with yet another lame duck HC.

Not sure I agree about him being too conservative. He's relies on analytics and has been more aggressive, offensively and defensively, than I recall Lovie ever being. And thank God for that, I hated Lovie by the end of his tenure here.

In terms of an OC, I don't think Eberflus is a lame duck unless this team completely ****s the bed in 2024, then he might be a goner. Pending health, I don't see that happening. I worry that Luke Getsy will be back in 2024; I sincerely hope he won't be.

Bring me Greg Roman. Dude has 10 years of experience as an OC in this league, coached Colin Kaepernick to a Super Bowl, Tyrod Taylor to a Pro Bowl, and Lamar Jackson to an MVP. All he has to do to be successful next year is build an offense around Justin Fields' strengths and make us top 15 in scoring (his career average is top 12 in scoring).

If we do go that route, I could see us becoming a base 12 personnel offense and target Brock Bowers in a trade down.

I'm not going to be upset either way but id be happier to move on. But if Flubby retains the job then I am all in on Greg Roman and Warren needs to tell Eberflus and Poles they will not get to get a QB before round 3. Fields is their guy. Build around him, either he is the guy or not and this is the last year they get to gather data to make that decision.

Then Poles should trade back. Even if Eberflus shows he isn't the HC of the future then he might show enough to let him get a new HC. Maybe things work out with Harbaugh in 2025, IDK. Apparently Michigan has offered him a huge deal with a clause that doesn't allow him to take an NFL job for 1 year.

42 minutes ago, G08 said:

Bring me Greg Roman

Concern with Roman is his passing game's are pretty limp.

I'd add, (could be mistaken on this it's been years) , his running scheme was gap/power based, when all of our OL and RB where brought in for a Zone scheme.  Probably not a massive deal, since I think even as an "outside zone" team, we've done a lot of power run game concepts this year, but worth noting nonetheless.

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Apparently Michigan has offered him a huge deal with a clause that doesn't allow him to take an NFL job for 1 year.

His deadline to sign that deal was Christmas Day (allegedly)

Edited by Epyon

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Concern with Roman is his passing game's are pretty limp.

I'd add, (could be mistaken on this it's been years) , his running scheme was gap/power based, when all of our OL and RB where brought in for a Zone scheme.  Probably not a massive deal, since I think even as an "outside zone" team, we've done a lot of power run game concepts this year, but worth noting nonetheless.

Agreed on the passing game; my hope is that he used this year off to focus on developing that aspect of his scheme. He also should (IMO) be stealing everything he can from Todd Monken.

Regarding the OL, here's the 2019 Ravens from left to right:

6'6" 315 / 6'5" 325 / 6'3" 305 / 6'3" 305 / 6'8" 345

Here is the 2023 Bears OL from left to right:

6'5" 310 / 6'6" 321 / 6'3" 313 / 6'3" 316 / 6'6" 335

So we match up pretty good there in terms of size at minimum.

Ok so this is just what Rapoport thinks that the situation is trending towards especially if the team has a good finish to end the season..and it's not an official report that Flus is going to be back..so are we jumping the gun here?

I won't be the least bit surprised if Flus is back but until word comes from someone within the organization then there's still a chance he's gone 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ok so this is just what Rapoport thinks that the situation is trending towards especially if the team has a good finish to end the season..and it's not an official report that Flus is going to be back..so are we jumping the gun here?

I won't be the least bit surprised if Flus is back but until word comes from someone within the organization then there's still a chance he's gone 

To me it sounds like, unless the wheels come flying off against ATL and GB, he will be back.

The fact that Schefter threw in the nugget that Eberflus likely would call plays for the defense in 2024 tells me that was intel shared with him, something that a coach who was about to get fired (or source, I suppose) wouldn't divulge.

Edited by G08

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

His deadline to sign that deal was Christmas Day (allegedly)

I remember that being said but $100+ mil is a LOT to just leave on the table. I figured that was the initial deadline but they could resume talks after the college football playoffs.  More of a window than a true deadline.

That's just my guess though. 

I think it's why I "knew" that Eberflus would be back in 2024; he faced a metric ****-ton of adversity this season and stayed the course. Poles talked about how 'inside the building' he could see how Eberflus didn't flinch and was steadfast in his message and delivery to the players. And, although some people discount it for whatever reason, he did not lose the respect or trust of the players.

The defense is trending on elite ever since he took over playcalling AND we traded for Montez Sweat. It sounds like Eberflus will keep calling plays in 2024 -- good! The special teams is mediocre at best IMO (fumbles by returners, terrible punts, etc). We need to upgrade the talent there and, if Chris Tabor is available, I'd bring him back to Chicago with open arms.

The offense is the biggest question mark and, IMO, will define Eberflus' tenure (legacy?) here. Does he stay the course with Getsy? Does he push in all his chips and bet on Justin Fields and, as such, bring in an offensive coordinator and scheme who will build around him? Or does he go the rookie route and hope/pray that Getsy or whatever OC that is brought in can develop him. THAT is the million dollar question and where he will either oversee a young, ascending team that should compete the for the NFC North for the next 8-12 years+ or we will whiff on the OC/QB decision and he will be gone in 1-2 years.

This might be one of the biggest off-seasons in (recent) Chicago Bears history, it quite literally will set the course for the next 4-5 years minimum.

If it's me:

• Gut the offensive coaching staff and bring in an experienced NFL offensive coordinator/play-caller who has a clear vision on how to develop and build a scheme around Justin Fields' strengths
  • Hire Phil Snow as defensive coordinator (if he wants it) or keep him as a Senior Defensive Analyst and bring in a defensive coordinator who is an excellent teacher and game-planner with the understanding he won't be calling plays
  • Fire Richard Hightower and bring in Chris Tabor (his ST units typically are top 5-10 in Rick Gosselin's yearly rankings, give or take)
  • Trade out of the #1 overall pick (assuming we get it) and figure out what we want to be on offense. If that's a 12 personnel base, draft Brock Bowers. If that's an 11 personnel base, draft one of the stud WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman)
Edited by G08

We'll see, personally I'm hoping not but it is absolutely a Bears move to both keep Eberflus and then give him and -OC?- a rookie QB.  Perhaps it's the move that keeps the Bears stable and QB? takes off next year, or perhaps it's the move that ensures we're talking next year about getting a new HC to save Caleb Williams career.  I am personally happy the Bears have gotten me to the point where I'm OK either way as missing games lately hasn't been a bad thing.

Out of curiousity: how would you rank the head coaches in our divsion?