Rapaport: Expect Bears to retain Eberflus as head coach in 2024

G08

Just now, dll2000 said:

How crazy would it be to go into a season with lame duck HC and a new high draft pick QB three times in a row? 

Only the Bears would do that.  Or Cards, Raiders or Browns. 

Then we can hear about how new QB was never the new coaches guy for following three years.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

How crazy would it be to go into a season with lame duck HC and a new high draft pick QB three times in a row? 

Only the Bears would do that.  Or Cards, Raiders or Browns. 

He’s not getting fired if he keeps winning. So therefore he’s not a lame-duck

5 hours ago, BeaReylo said:

I would hope Eberflus returning is contingent on upgrading the OC?

And it should be done by Poles without input from Eberflus. Eberflus needs to own one side and if he hasn't stepped in over Getsy this season then he needs to stay out of that hire.

It can also be another way for Warren to grade out Poles' ability to pick coaches.

4 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Never underestimate this organizations ability to make inadequate decisions about offensive coaches.

We have a solid TE, maybe Martz can see about shipping him out like he did Greg Olsen? Plus with Velus and Scott's speed there is potential for the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Never underestimate this organizations ability to make inadequate decisions

Could have cut this quote right here and it'd still be accurate.

On 12/31/2023 at 7:51 PM, StLunatic88 said:

He’s not getting fired if he keeps winning. So therefore he’s not a lame-duck

If Flus loses next year he would be is what I am saying.

He likely has to have a winning record next year to stay I would think.  He would certainly be on hot seat.

So IF Bears drafted a QB you are in position of switching coaches on him after his rookie year.   Again.  

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He likely has to have a winning record next year to stay I would think.  He would certainly be on hot seat.

In the circumstances you are thinking/projecting here, then sure. But trying to project those things are a fools errand. 

We could go 7-10 or 8-9 again, with a stellar Defense, but we have a major injury on offense (Fields or Moore) or the OL is decimated with injuries, and we are somehow still miraculously in playoff contention.

Or they could have the wrong OC, the Defense crashes down to earth and they are all fired by week 7. Too many variable to say "If they dont with X games, they are gone."

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

In the circumstances you are thinking/projecting here, then sure. But trying to project those things are a fools errand. 

We could go 7-10 or 8-9 again, with a stellar Defense, but we have a major injury on offense (Fields or Moore) or the OL is decimated with injuries, and we are somehow still miraculously in playoff contention.

Or they could have the wrong OC, the Defense crashes down to earth and they are all fired by week 7. Too many variable to say "If they dont with X games, they are gone."

It isn't a fool's errand.  It is a factor to consider. 

A high draft rookie typically gets at least 3 years.  Then you have to make a call.

A coach typically gets 3-4.  If he wins big within those years or he has a past big rep or signs a long contract then he gets more.

Flus isn't rock solid due to past performance.   If he stays after end of season, which seem likely - he will be on hot seat.   It is now win or go home for him.   

That's what makes him a lame duck.  He can win and stay of course.   So could have Fox and Nagy (though Fox was screwed with hand he was dealt).  

But winning with a rookie QB is tough.   So the pattern could repeat through 3 coaching regimes.  

Draft a rookie with old coach.  After QB rookie year new coaches come in.  That is not a good formula for success.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That's what makes him a lame duck.  He can win and stay of course.

Then he isn’t a lame duck… I don’t know how to make that more clear. If you can retain your job, you can’t also be a lame duck.

Ron Rivera was a Lame Duck this year. Those situations are not the same.

The GM clearly still likes the coach and thinks he can win with him, it’s mind boggling how many of this Fanbase can say they trust that guy, but are straight up assuming the HC will fail. 

I also am amused how you all still hold 2022 against him, when they were clearly not interested in winning as an entire Franchise. It was blatantly obvious, and now that they were trying, he’s going 7-10 or 8-9 just missing the playoffs with what is still half a roster. 

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Then he isn’t a lame duck… I don’t know how to make that more clear. If you can retain your job, you can’t also be a lame duck.

Ron Rivera was a Lame Duck this year. Those situations are not the same.

The GM clearly still likes the coach and thinks he can win with him, it’s mind boggling how many of this Fanbase can say they trust that guy, but are straight up assuming the HC will fail. 

I also am amused how you all still hold 2022 against him, when they were clearly not interested in winning as an entire Franchise. It was blatantly obvious, and now that they were trying, he’s going 7-10 or 8-9 just missing the playoffs with what is still half a roster. 

So if Ron Rivera won SB this year he would not have been retained in Wash?  By your definition he was not a lame duck either.   You can always win and save your job - although Lovie Smith got screwed in Tampa - another story.  

I am more loosely defining "Lame Duck" in NFL context as a sufficiently win or go home year some years into a HC contract.  Typically 3 or 4.  If Flus wins 4-5 games next year he is likely to be fired following season, no?   

Of course any single sufficiently disastrous year can see you fired early ala Trestman.   That usually only happens if you team rebels and you lose the locker room.

I have said all year and in offseason Flus is likely to stay past 2023.  Coaches don't get usually fired that quickly at least not with Bears.   

I am saying and my larger point is, and Poles is aware, that if you keep Flus AND draft a rookie QB - that there is a significant possibility you could be changing his coach after 1 season.  Which is a terrible thing to do when developing a QB.

We did it Fields and we did it to Trubisky.  

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So if Ron Rivera won SB this year he would not have been retained in Wash?  By your definition he was not a lame duck either.   You can always win and save your job - although Lovie Smith got screwed in Tampa - another story.  

Im saying Yes. Rivera knew he was done after this year no matter what. Its why they went and got Bieniemy, trying to parlay a good season into him being the next HC. But when Harris bought the team, he was REALLY a Lame Duck

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am saying and my larger point is, and Poles is aware, that if you keep Flus AND draft a rookie QB - that there is a significant possibility you could be changing his coach after 1 season.  Which is a terrible thing to do when developing a QB.

We did it Fields and we did it to Trubisky.  

And its a lame excuse. If Justin Fields fails out of the league, its not because of the way the HC/OC were handled. Trubisky proves that point, it just means they werent good enough