Rapaport: Expect Bears to retain Eberflus as head coach in 2024

G08

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Usually we get notice of an end of season press availability for the GM and HC and I haven’t seen that yet. I’m gonna let myself continue to dream that this is because they’re still considering sweeping changes though I’m pretty sure I’m just setting myself up for disappointment there.

My guess: they'll make one trip to Ann Arbor or one call to Harbaugh's camp & see what they say. Once he either says no or they balk at his asking price, they'll schedule the end of season presser. IIRC, the rule is that it has to be had within 7 days of the final game.

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Different Ryan and Matt, but do you guys remember when they kept Nagy and Pace but needed extensive meetings with George and Ted to reach that conclusion?  

With the Bears, you know those conversations involved finances and also the image of the franchise. The McCaskeys care a lot about image, hence why we've never fired a coach in season

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Usually we get notice of an end of season press availability for the GM and HC and I haven’t seen that yet. I’m gonna let myself continue to dream that this is because they’re still considering sweeping changes though I’m pretty sure I’m just setting myself up for disappointment there.

I think today might be the quiet day at HH but also the most important...

They gathered all that information yesterday from the players...today is where you speak to the agents of some of the top candidates if we were to make a change at HC (doubt Flus goes) or at the very least try and work some lists for coordinators on both sides of the ball then start to try and chase those interviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

My guess: they'll make one trip to Ann Arbor or one call to Harbaugh's camp & see what they say. Once he either says no or they balk at his asking price, they'll schedule the end of season presser. IIRC, the rule is that it has to be had within 7 days of the final game.

the problem with the NFL is that the rooney rule makes it so you cant (i mean, lets be serious) pull a cubs and go secretly hire a new head coach like harbaugh in the middle of the night. 

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think today might be the quiet day at HH but also the most important...

They gathered all that information yesterday from the players...today is where you speak to the agents of some of the top candidates if we were to make a change at HC (doubt Flus goes) or at the very least try and work some lists for coordinators on both sides of the ball then start to try and chase those interviews.

Here’s where not being given details about coach contracts is difficult - as fans we have no idea what’s left on Flus’ deal. Was it a 4-year deal with 2 years left? 5 with three left? Are we still paying Nagy in 2024 for the tail end of his deal about which we also had no details? In the grand scheme these things shouldn’t matter - it should only be about getting the right people in place - but they might matter. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

the problem with the NFL is that the rooney rule makes it so you cant (i mean, lets be serious) pull a cubs and go secretly hire a new head coach like harbaugh in the middle of the night. 

I guess I didn't mean that literally. They'd get the thumbs up from Harbaugh, fire Eberflus, interview Bienemy or something and then make the Harbaugh hiring official

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Here’s where not being given details about coach contracts is difficult - as fans we have no idea what’s left on Flus’ deal. Was it a 4-year deal with 2 years left? 5 with three left? Are we still paying Nagy in 2024 for the tail end of his deal about which we also had no details? In the grand scheme these things shouldn’t matter - it should only be about getting the right people in place - but they might matter

I dont think they actually matter in this instance (i think the 3 year plan is being honored) but they for sure would. The Bears are one of the most cash poor teams in the league

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The Bears are one of the most cash poor teams in the league

I know this is usually the working assumption, but is there any actual data to back that up? Not saying you’re wrong - just don’t know that I’ve seen anything concrete to support it beyond speculation. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I know this is usually the working assumption, but is there any actual data to back that up? Not saying you’re wrong - just don’t know that I’ve seen anything concrete to support it beyond speculation. 

It feels like it would be a very hard thing to "prove" as its all mostly anecdotal unless you were asble to seee every Owners personal books, but from the people Ive had conversations with who were part of separate regimes for the Bears, they share that opinion.

Not like how bad the Bengals were, or that it impacts the players experience compared to other franchises. But definitely on things like how much the financials factor into changing directions on coaches as well as real time cash paid out to players vs cap hits

48 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bears are 13th in revenue according to this:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/#:~:text=NFL revenue streams&text=In 2022%2C the revenue of,Verizon%2C Pepsi%2C and Nike.

The bigger difference with legacy owners like McCaskey's though is they are pretty much exclusively using the income the team generates to support the extended family.

Whereas other newer owners that bought in have many other avenues of wealth and income.  The NFL is more of a vanity project for them and long term investment.

• Like 1

Not sure this will happen but Hoge made an interesting point about the research he did on Kevin Warren when he was hired and said basically everyone he spoke with talked about Warren shooting for the moon and never being happy with just okay...if that is the case maybe there is more to discuss than we thought.

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Not sure this will happen but Hoge made an interesting point about the research he did on Kevin Warren when he was hired and said basically everyone he spoke with talked about Warren shooting for the moon and never being happy with just okay...if that is the case maybe there is more to discuss than we thought.

I'm just going to wait and see. Eberflus or someone else, I just hope its a productive offseason. I'm not getting amped up either way   lol 

• Like 1