Week 18: VIKINGS (7-9) at Lions (11-5)

swede700

Just now, VikeManDan said:

This is why Mullens needs to be back to compete for a QB spot next season. 

At the very least he’s proven to me that he is a very high caliber backup in this league. That alone makes him extremely valuable 

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Justin Jefferson joins Tyreek Hill and CeeDee Lamb as the only players with 140+ receiving yards in 5+ games this year.

Jefferson has only played in 10 games

He's the only one that's done it with backup QBs

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

That's why I think Mullens should be back to compete for The Vikings' QB spot next season.

That's a LOT more a tribute to The Lions' TERRIBLE pass defence, and even more to JJ's and Addisons' skill in getting wide open, than to Mullens' passing skill.  If those receivers were reasonably closely covered, Mullens likely would only get the ball to them in one out of three times.  He's not consistently able to pinpoint the ball on deep passes, like Cousins or other Top 10-12 NFL passers.  I'd much rather have a minshew-level back-up than Mullens.  But that's why that marginal starter level costs significantly more in salary and cap space.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Justin Jefferson joins Tyreek Hill and CeeDee Lamb as the only players with 140+ receiving yards in 5+ games this year.

Jefferson has only played in 10 games

JJ hit 1000 yards right?

I only watched the first half. I'll catch the other half later.

That last decision by Mullens to let that ball go, instead of pulling it back into his body and taking the sack is why I'd rather The Vikings move on from him as a backup QB candidate for next season.  He saw that his throw would be impacted and he lost track of where his target would be.  So, he should have tucked it in just before the rush got to him.

• Like 1