Week 18: VIKINGS (7-9) at Lions (11-5)

swede700

Justin Jefferson might be the best player in the NFL regardless of position. Jordan Addison is going to be a stud. Chandler is andecent enough RB1. If Hockenson and Kirk both come back completely healthy, there’s not much that needs to be done to the offense. I still want them to draft a successor and let him sit for two years. But every other pick needs to be defense. Hunter must be brought back. Free agency needs to be defense. 

• Like 7

It's somewhat remarkable that teams can total 50 points and 829 net yards of offense on a day when they're a combined 3-for-22 on third downs, but all that happened.

The Vikings converted just two of 13 tries on third down and wound up converting two of their three attempts on fourth down. The Lions (12-5) went 1-for-9 on third downs but were able to go 2-for-2 on their fourth-down attempts.

vikings.com

22 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If Hockenson and Kirk both come back completely healthy, there’s not much that needs to be done to the offense.

From a personnel standpoint I’d agree. On paper that is an offense that should score 30+/game. Something Cousins didn’t do this year.

The offense, as a whole, needs to take a step forward from a consistency POV. 

Detroit started seven of 11 possessions beyond its own 25-yard line.

The Vikings had three drives start at their own 10 or worse, either because of placement on punts or penalties, and only started outside the 25-yard line on one possession (own 26 in the third quarter).

The Vikings were flagged eight times for 77 yards on the day.

vikings.com

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Justin Jefferson might be the best player in the NFL regardless of position. Jordan Addison is going to be a stud. Chandler is andecent enough RB1. If Hockenson and Kirk both come back completely healthy, there’s not much that needs to be done to the offense. I still want them to draft a successor and let him sit for two years. But every other pick needs to be defense. Hunter must be brought back. Free agency needs to be defense. 

I feel like something needs to be done along the interior OL, I just don’t know what. Don’t love the group but we’ve had much worse over the years. But I agree, every asset needs to go to the defense at this point, unless you really like someone to groom behind Cousins.

You can get away with almost anything in life if you do it confidently and act like you are supposed to be there. Let’s just not leave ford field and act like we are the 6 seed. What are they going to do? Ask us to leave? That would be too awkward and uncomfortable 

13 hours ago, Nbanflguy said:

You can get away with almost anything in life if you do it confidently and act like you are supposed to be there. Let’s just not leave ford field and act like we are the 6 seed. What are they going to do? Ask us to leave? That would be too awkward and uncomfortable 

If Cousins doesn’t get hurt, we probably win the division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If Cousins doesn’t get hurt, we probably win the division. 

The Lions beat Cousins late last season and twice this year, albeit without him. The other Vikings haven't been good against the Lions though -- especially on defense as they keep surrendering 30+ points to them.

I mean you could say Jefferson burned the Detroit secondary on this day and that day but that's to be expected right? That's usually a given against every team he faces. It didn't change the outcomes.

Cousins was part of this mediocre 4-4 Vikings team when he was injured. Looking at the schedule I don't see many other for sure wins with Kirk. The Bears and Broncos -- probably. So playoffs yes, but not the Division.

7 hours ago, babababa said:

The Lions beat Cousins late last season and twice this year, albeit without him. The other Vikings haven't been good against the Lions though -- especially on defense as they keep surrendering 30+ points to them.

I mean you could say Jefferson burned the Detroit secondary on this day and that day but that's to be expected right? That's usually a given against every team he faces. It didn't change the outcomes.

Cousins was part of this mediocre 4-4 Vikings team when he was injured. Looking at the schedule I don't see many other for sure wins with Kirk. The Bears and Broncos -- probably. So playoffs yes, but not the Division.

We hung in there with Detroit despite Mullens throwing four picks in the first game. Sorry we win that one in Mn and we probably beat the Packers at home too though the defense was really bad so maybe not. And we definitely aren’t losing to the Bengals, Bears; Broncos is probably a toss up. Road game at night in Mile isn’t easy. So let’s say three wins right there. So maybe that last game would have decided the division in this scenario. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, babababa said:

Bears, Broncos, Bengals and Lions once. 11-6.

We handed the 7th seed to Green Bay.

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Bears, Broncos, Bengals and Lions once. 11-6.

We didn’t hand them anything. Cousins tore his Achilles and the Packers clearly benefited there. That injury happened when we beat GB by two scores in GB, right? We’re cursed.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

no we didn't, that's dumb.

we were playing 3rd and 4th string QB's, lost our top WR for half the season, lost our top TE for the end of the season, and they finished their season with a soft schedule.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

no we didn't, that's dumb.

we were playing 3rd and 4th string QB's, lost our top WR for half the season, lost our top TE for the end of the season, and they finished their season with a soft schedule.

Who did they play in that soft schedule? Us?