Week 18: VIKINGS (7-9) at Lions (11-5)

swede700

Game 17

NFL_Vikings_zpsce61d576.gif?width=320&heatNFL_Lions_zpsll5qkbit.gif?width=160&heig

When:  1:00 PM EST, January 7th

Where: Ford Field (Detroit, MI)

TV/Radio: FOX (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio);

Announcers: Joe Davis, Daryl Johnston, Pam Oliver (TV); Paul Allen, Pete Bercich, Ben Leber (Radio)

Coverage Map: https://506sports.com/2023/18-FOX-E.png

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

Lions - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

Please keep all discussion about the game here.      

Edited by swede700

So what do the Vikings have to play for? What about the Lions? 

A loss would be a great way to start 2024 and hopefully land a top 10 pick. 

Who starts? Have they seen enough of Hall to shut him down and go with Mullens who can move the ball? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

So what do the Vikings have to play for? What about the Lions? 

A loss would be a great way to start 2024 and hopefully land a top 10 pick. 

Who starts? Have they seen enough of Hall to shut him down and go with Mullens who can move the ball? 

The Lions still have the #2 seed to play for (should the Cowboys lose to the Commanders, which may be unlikely, but really Washington would love to play spoiler)...and I'd think the Lions would rather play the Packers or Seahawks than face the Rams (who may be the hottest team right now). 

I'm starting Mullens.  I think the Vikings need to have a good taste in their mouth going to the offseason and need to get a win.  Screw the draft position. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Detroit rests there starters in the 2nd half after the blowout is secured. 

Exactly what we did to Chicago last season.

At this point, there probably isn't any harm in starting Hall, but I expect Mullens to be the guy.

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Lions still have the #2 seed to play for (should the Cowboys lose to the Commanders, which may be unlikely, but really Washington would love to play spoiler)...and I'd think the Lions would rather play the Packers or Seahawks than face the Rams (who may be the hottest team right now). 

I'm starting Mullens.  I think the Vikings need to have a good taste in their mouth going to the offseason and need to get a win.  Screw the draft position. 

How likely is it that Mullens even returns? Even if he manages to win, we’re still out of the playoffs. That bad taste won’t go away until they hit the field next August. I’m hopeful they can get a last place schedule and finish fourth in the division knowing this team is much better than the record indicates going into next year with the return. If Cousins, if he returns. 

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Exactly what we did to Chicago last season.

At this point, there probably isn't any harm in starting Hall, but I expect Mullens to be the guy.

I’m on the fence personally. The game experience helps Hall when we’re assessing next years team. However, it’s clear he’s not ready to run the offense so I can see why you’d just go with Mullens. Dont want to put Hall out there either if he’s clearly not ready. Maybe having nothing to play for essentially during a noon game will be a better situation to get Hall some reps than having to beat your rival on primetime. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That bad taste won’t go away until they hit the field next August.

The bad taste for us won't go away, but I'd think the players would feel marginally better ending the season on a win rather than a loss.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the Vikings need to have a good taste in their mouth going to the offseason and need to get a win.  Screw the draft position. 

I absolutely agree. 8-9 is a hell of a lot better season than 7-10. Beating the Lions on the road would make fans and this organization feel a lot better heading into the off-season. The last thing anyone should want is for this team to get rocked again. That Green Bay game was disgusting. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I absolutely agree. 8-9 is a hell of a lot better season than 7-10. Beating the Lions on the road would make fans and this organization feel a lot better heading into the off-season. The last thing anyone should want is for this team to get rocked again. That Green Bay game was disgusting. 

True but that was our only loss this season that was more than a one score game, right?

I figured we'd play harder, but at least that's better than last season haha

30 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I am not really expecting a win, however, O'Connell might want to do something weird and unexpected. Activate and play all three QBs.  Run a million shifts.  Put a lineman in the backfield.  In other words, think out of the box.

If the last game vs. the Lions showed anything, he needs to just feed Chandler the rock over and over again and keep the Lions' offense off the field. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If the last game vs. the Lions showed anything, he needs to just feed Chandler the rock over and over again and keep the Lions' offense off the field. 

The Lions defense is great at stopping the run though. Their issue is again mobile QBs.