Week 18: VIKINGS (7-9) at Lions (11-5)

swede700

On 1/3/2024 at 1:10 AM, wcblack34 said:

I'd far rather play the Patriots over the Jets. If Rodgers is healthy, that offense is going to be a handful for every defense. 

Eh.  Even with Rodgers, that division is going to be tough for the Jets.  Plus, we don't know if Rodgers could potentially fall off.  He just turned 40.   

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 3:12 PM, SemperFeist said:

Hall and Mullens are going to compete for the QB2 spot in training camp. 

Please no.

Ideally we will have Kirk, and a first round rookie. Mullens should be nowhere near our roster next year. He is absolutely awful. 

Hall at best can be our QB3

On 1/3/2024 at 3:14 PM, Captain Relax said:

I know people will disagree, but I don't want Dobbs or Mullens on the roster next season. 

I 100% agree. I would like to hear the logic of anyone who would want Mullens back. We cannot even have him as a backup option. He is a glorified Sean Mannion out there. We need a reliable backup, or at the very least, a young guy with potential.

Dobbs will be Mullens' backup...so, Hall is done for this year. 

I'm not sure why the discussion of Mullens or Dobbs being back as backups really matters anyway, the only way they'd potentially be back is as a backup to a guy like Penix.  Otherwise, expect Cousins back with Hall as the primary backup along with a young guy. 

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Comparing Mullens to Mannion is laughable. Sean Mannion would've given us zero chance to win against the Lions in week 16. 

Agree.  He's not even a glorified Mannion.  Mannion is a coach just trying to extend his career at a player's pay.  Mullens can actually play, he just makes poor decisions.

• Like 2

Mullens lack of athleticism and inability to read defenses is horrendous. His turnovers were the reason we lost the Detroit game. His only positive is he has some arm strength. 

The guy should be nowhere near our roster next year. He is horrible

14 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

But yes the comparison to Mannion was excessive. I will admit I still am bitter about his 4 interceptions.

His turnovers, and gunslinger/hero-ball mentality are his biggest weaknesses. I doubt he'll be able to correct them but I think he certainly beats the ultra conservative backup unless you have a championship caliber defense.

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't get the Mullens hate.  I wouldn't say he's good but he's not incompetent and can at least run the offense.  At least he goes down swinging

Yeah. He’s a backup QB. Anyone expecting competent play from backup QBs hasn’t been paying attention. 80% of the league doesn’t get competent play from their starting QBs. 

We could be watching a guy like Sean Mannion who might not turn the ball over as often as Mullens, but will throw for 150 yards. 

You can hope to catch lightning in a bottle. You can hope that your rookie fifth round quarterback is the next Tom Brady. But at the end of the day, the chances are far greater that you’re going to end up with what we have been getting. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeah. He’s a backup QB. Anyone expecting competent play from backup QBs hasn’t been paying attention. 80% of the league doesn’t get competent play from their starting QBs. 

We could be watching a guy like Sean Mannion who might not turn the ball over as often as Mullens, but will throw for 150 yards. 

You can hope to catch lightning in a bottle. You can hope that your rookie fifth round quarterback is the next Tom Brady. But at the end of the day, the chances are far greater that you’re going to end up with what we have been getting. 

Why can't I expect competent play from a backup QB?  I am not asking for Mahomes like play...but I would expect a backup to at least play half as well as an Earl Morrell or Don Strock.  They both played within their capabilities and got the job done.  Mullens doesn't. Sure, he moves the team down the field, but he can't get the job done BECAUSE he is ultimately careless.  I can't stand those who believe they can be the next Favre, but they don't have Favre's ability to extend, create, and put he ball in a tight window.  Mullens can't do any of that, yet continues to play as if he can.  That makes him pretty worthless as a backup in my mind.

Evans is going to need a big bounce back game for himself going into next year and the team on Sunday with Blackmon and Murphy out. Hopefully Booth can show a little something also.

I wonder if we'll see any of Muse. It'd be nice if he was ready for a bigger role next season while Hockenson is recovering