Week 18: VIKINGS (7-9) at Lions (11-5)

swede700

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Evans is going to need a big bounce back game for himself going into next year and the team on Sunday with Blackmon and Murphy out. Hopefully Booth can show a little something also.

I wonder if we'll see any of Muse. It'd be nice if he was ready for a bigger role next season while Hockenson is recovering

I hope Jaylin Williams plays and does well.

Same with Jay Ward. He should get some time with Theo Jackson out.

16 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Why can't I expect competent play from a backup QB?  I am not asking for Mahomes like play...but I would expect a backup to at least play half as well as an Earl Morrell or Don Strock.  They both played within their capabilities and got the job done.  Mullens doesn't. Sure, he moves the team down the field, but he can't get the job done BECAUSE he is ultimately careless.  I can't stand those who believe they can be the next Favre, but they don't have Favre's ability to extend, create, and put he ball in a tight window.  Mullens can't do any of that, yet continues to play as if he can.  That makes him pretty worthless as a backup in my mind.

Then you're setting yourself up for massive disappointment. Again, when 80% of the starting QBs are not very competent, expecting the next 32 to be is just insanity. 

You an era of football that simply does not exist anymore. The defensive talent is so much better than it used to be. The number of teams has dissipated the available talent at QB even more. Colleges aren't preparing their quarterbacks for the NFL game like they used to.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Then you're setting yourself up for massive disappointment. Again, when 80% of the starting QBs are not very competent, expecting the next 32 to be is just insanity. 

You an era of football that simply does not exist anymore. The defensive talent is so much better than it used to be. The number of teams has dissipated the available talent at QB even more. Colleges aren't preparing their quarterbacks for the NFL game like they used to.

I think you're right about college offenses not preparing QBs to be professionals...which is why I support a developmental/minor league for the NFL, but that's another discussion. I don't agree that defenses are better...but that's another discussion as well.

Never did I say that I expect the backup to play as well as the starter...that would be insane!  It would great for saving money on QB contracts!  By competence, I mean playing well within the QBs limitations and mitigating mistakes as much as possible. Dobbs doesn't do that and certainly Mullens doesn't do that.  In Mullens case, it's an attitude problem, believing that he can make throws that clearly he cannot.  Dobbs problem is that he isn't a fit in O'Connells offensive scheme.  The more familiar he got with it the worse he played.  I don't want either playing for the Vikings after today...assuming they don't make the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

sell gents, it's probably a disappointing end today to a disappointing season. tough year for Viking fans.

doubt i'll be on the gdt today, have yourselves a somehow relaxing sunday.

You too, VD

I have been looking forward to the end of the season for several weeks now. I have never in my fanhood been this ready for the offseason in my life.  

• Like 2