BDL Discussion Thread 2024

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

1.    Listen to people !

The biggest surprise of the offseason was Blue actually listening to people and make steps to improve Cancun WR corps. And that they did by adding a 2nd weapon of the caliber of DK Metcalf. Now with Olave, Metcalf and Wicks, Cancun seems to have a legit starting WR trio for the first time since I came back to BDL at least.

1.    Get a starting TE

While the days of Blue trying to convince us that Michael Mayer was worth a starting spot in BDL were fun, they're likely to be over with Bowers drafted by the Raiders. Unfortunately, the FA options at the position are a bit limited so maybe Cancun would have better luck exploring the trade market (hello RG). Either way, they absolutely need to get one, maybe even two, guys at the position.

FA fit: Cole Kmet

2.    Get some corner help

The three 2023 Cancun starters (Tre White, Cam Sutton and Steven Nelson) are all gone. While Jack Jones, with his legal troubles behind him, might be a very viable option for one of the starting spot, and Cancun doesn't use a slot CB per say, I don't think Zyon McCollum can be counted on as a starting BDL corner. I expect Cancun to be very aggressive in Free Agency to pursue who they feel is the best corner in the FA pool.

FA fit: Steven Nelson

3.    Sign interior offensive linemen

Cancun projected interior OL is currently Cordell Volson - JPJ - Zion Johnson. One of them is a rookie, the other two are minus starters in BDL. And given the RT spot is also unconvincing right now, getting help is going to be paramount. Getting insurance at C would be nice, but the priority is likely to get a top G so that Zion/Volson can compete for the other starting spot. Thankfully the G FA class is strong and Cancun will get many opportunities to get it right.

FA fit: Isaac Seumalo

4.    Get aggressive on the DL

Despite what Mwil has tried to sell us, the Rousseau/Thibs edge duo, while certainly not a weakness, isn't anything special at the BDL level. Both players are young and have a chance to keep on improving, but the recent release of Cam Jordan created a hole in the EDGE rotation. To compete for a title, I think Cancun needs another difference maker along the DL - at EDGE or on the interior. With a lot of cap space, limited roster spots left and limited needs, they will get the chance to go after those luxury pickups.

FA fit: Shaq Barrett

I've been trying to sign or trade for a No. 2 receiver for two years now, the only change that happened this year is I finally overpaid for one. Naturally, one of my top two will tear an ACL in the first couple weeks and I'll be back to starting Elijah Moore.

I'm not looking at tight end at all until Shark Tank, if ever. TE will be the 5th or 6th option in our passing offense, and there will be weeks I don't have a tight end listed in the starting lineup at all. Moreau is also a year removed from beating cancer and I think Mayer starts for Las Vegas. Bowers is more of a concern going into 2025 and I think Las Vegas gets both on the field a lot anyways. Don't see any point in investing more at the position unless an opportunity to acquire a star comes up.

CB definitely an area we'll be looking to add another starter but A) Sutton and White really didn't start that many games last year as we had a lot of weekly shuffling, B) we have three corners who are expected NFL starters (Antonio Pierce LOVES Jack Jones btw, recruited him at Arizona State too), and C) we play three safeties in nickel defense, so we don't need a lot of CB depth. We got within a game of the BizzBowl with basically the same group of guys and they're all young players primed for bigger roles with their IRL teams, so I'm pretty happy to bet on potential for the most part (insert Mwil sobbing here).

We'll be signing at least two interior OL in free agency--the goal is to have all four of my current interior OL competing for one spot. Definitely aiming higher than Seumalo, who I could just 3 Up if I wanted him.

I think you're forgetting Dorance Armstrong in the DE rotation for us. I didn't want to let go of Jordan and he may be back in Shark Tank, but Edge is an area where I have three young players who were recent high draft picks and a vet with proven production stepping into a bigger IRL role. Again, not an area I'll address before Shark Tank, if at all.

Thanks for the writeup, it's good to see how other people view my team/talent! Little surprised you didn't talk about linebacker here--I'd say that's the area I have the most question marks at the moment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I've been trying to sign or trade for a No. 2 receiver for two years now, the only change that happened this year is I finally overpaid for one. Naturally, one of my top two will tear an ACL in the first couple weeks and I'll be back to starting Elijah Moore.

I'm not looking at tight end at all until Shark Tank, if ever. TE will be the 5th or 6th option in our passing offense, and there will be weeks I don't have a tight end listed in the starting lineup at all. Moreau is also a year removed from beating cancer and I think Mayer starts for Las Vegas. Bowers is more of a concern going into 2025 and I think Las Vegas gets both on the field a lot anyways. Don't see any point in investing more at the position unless an opportunity to acquire a star comes up.

CB definitely an area we'll be looking to add another starter but A) Sutton and White really didn't start that many games last year as we had a lot of weekly shuffling, B) we have three corners who are expected NFL starters (Antonio Pierce LOVES Jack Jones btw, recruited him at Arizona State too), and C) we play three safeties in nickel defense, so we don't need a lot of CB depth. We got within a game of the BizzBowl with basically the same group of guys and they're all young players primed for bigger roles with their IRL teams, so I'm pretty happy to bet on potential for the most part (insert Mwil sobbing here).

We'll be signing at least two interior OL in free agency--the goal is to have all four of my current interior OL competing for one spot. Definitely aiming higher than Seumalo, who I could just 3 Up if I wanted him.

I think you're forgetting Dorance Armstrong in the DE rotation for us. I didn't want to let go of Jordan and he may be back in Shark Tank, but Edge is an area where I have three young players who were recent high draft picks and a vet with proven production stepping into a bigger IRL role. Again, not an area I'll address before Shark Tank, if at all.

Thanks for the writeup, it's good to see how other people view my team/talent! Little surprised you didn't talk about linebacker here--I'd say that's the area I have the most question marks at the moment.

But you tried to trade for Sauce and up to draft Bowers…

Just now, Scoundrel said:

But you tried to trade for Sauce and up to draft Bowers…

And?

Sauce is a star, and I've been high on Bowers for forever. Those types of players don't hit free agency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

And?

Sauce is a star, and I've been high on Bowers for forever. Those types of players don't hit free agency.

I just wanted some hype for my guys. Thank you

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I'm pretty happy to bet on potential for the most part (insert Mwil sobbing here).

Nothing can top us winning consecutive games starting a single corner three seasons ago. That was my Sistine Chapel moment.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how this all works. Is the outcome of the game solely based off votes or how does the simulation take place? As an observer am I allowed to vote on games once the season begins? Does a players performance in the real NFL effect what happens in here on game days? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikes635 said:

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how this all works. Is the outcome of the game solely based off votes or how does the simulation take place? As an observer am I allowed to vote on games once the season begins? Does a players performance in the real NFL effect what happens in here on game days? 

It’s all subjective based on voting. No simulation. People voting can decide how much recency bias they want to put in. Real life injuries are taken into account. So if a player doesn’t play that week, we can’t use them.

i am pretty sure we are open to anyone voting? Maybe a more seasoned BDL vet can weigh in on that 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikes635 said:

What Pete said,  it’s pretty subjective on voting.    Lineups and gameplans are submitted,  not simulation.       Performance in the NFL matters.    How much in terms of; recent production vs long term fluctuations between voters.   

I’ve never heard of anyone ever discouraging anyone voting,  whether they are in the league or not.   More interest in the league is a positive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikes635 said:

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It’s all subjective based on voting. No simulation. People voting can decide how much recency bias they want to put in. Real life injuries are taken into account. So if a player doesn’t play that week, we can’t use them.

i am pretty sure we are open to anyone voting? Maybe a more seasoned BDL vet can weigh in on that 

Unless you are someone's alt account, you are welcome to vote.

Voting is based off 3 main criteria.  A player's historical performance, their short term performance, and write up/game plan.

Different owners weigh the criteria differently.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Unless you are someone's alt account, you are welcome to vote.

Voting is based off 3 main criteria.  A player's historical performance, their short term performance, and write up/game plan.

Different owners weigh the criteria differently.

Is this a bad time to mention that he’s my alt account…..

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Is this a bad time to mention that he’s my alt account…..

I think his first sentence of stating he’s , at least,  trying to figure out how it all works… removes this possibility 

• Like 9

OK, Cool I was reading a bunch of last seasons and this seems interesting. I plan to check in week by week and send votes. Maybe get on a waiting list if I'm having fun with it. Thanks for all the speedy responses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

OK, Cool I was reading a bunch of last seasons and this seems interesting. I plan to check in week by week and send votes. Maybe get on a waiting list if I'm having fun with it. Thanks for all the speedy responses.

If you want there are a couple of people, I think @MD4L and me at least, who are looking to onboard co-owners. The co-owning role is basically whatever you make it out to be - you can help on team building or gameplanning or both.

The only rule is one team can only have one vote on its own game, so an owner and co-owner can't vote together on their own game.

That's also a great way to put a foot in the league see how it works out and then become an owner once an opening is done. Out of the current owners, I know at least bcb, IR, Lukic and myself started as co-owners

Cheers

• Like 1