Is JJ McCarthy NFL-caliber?

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I always thought like 9 1/2 was the "average" size but like I said, I could be misremembering 

9 1/2" might be average, but for NFL QBs, 9" seems to be the minimum acceptable size. Apparently, Vick has 8.5" hands, although I've always been somewhat skeptical of that measurement.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I always thought like 9 1/2 was the "average" size but like I said, I could be misremembering 

It’s small but not a killer. Goff and burrow both have 9” hands 

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It’s small but not a killer. Goff and burrow both have 9” hands 

And I remember people going crazy over that. Likely won't affect his stock though and I'm sure he'll do well the rest of the combine. It's geared for people like him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And I remember people going crazy over that. Likely won't affect his stock though and I'm sure he'll do well the rest of the combine. It's geared for people like him

The whole hand size thing has been completely overblown for years. Its pretty much been debunked. Goff, Mahomes, Burrow, etc have all had smaller hands. Mayfield has smaller hands and has had a great fumble rate. Play-style and aggressiveness have way more to do with it than hand size, otherwise Favre wouldn't have fumbled much with his mitts.

I think the only reason it is even a thing that is still done is for clickbait.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

The whole hand size thing has been completely overblown for years. Its pretty much been debunked. Goff, Mahomes, Burrow, etc have all had smaller hands. Mayfield has smaller hands and has had a great fumble rate. Play-style and aggressiveness have way more to do with it than hand size, otherwise Favre wouldn't have fumbled much with his mitts.

I think the only reason it is even a thing that is still done is for clickbait.

That's small-hands talk there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That doesn't answer the question lol.

It's all good though, others have provided context I was looking for

In a way it does because if it didn't meet the average standard then he never would have been drafted #1.  However, this hearkens me back to when the Vikings drafted Daunte Culpepper back in '99.  They all talked about his small hands...which were 9.5". 

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In a way it does because if it didn't meet the average standard then he never would have been drafted #1.  However, this hearkens me back to when the Vikings drafted Daunte Culpepper back in '99.  They all talked about his small hands...which were 9.5". 

Not really though. You simply just named someone in the league w/ the same hand size. That doesn't give me any indication if it's considered small or not. There will always be people w/ varying hand sizes in the NFL and you're right about Culpepper. I don't find it to be too much of a problem but there should be an added concern for the reasons that are already known.

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not really though. You simply just named someone in the league w/ the same hand size. That doesn't give me any indication if it's considered small or not. There will always be people w/ varying hand sizes in the NFL and you're right about Culpepper. I don't find it to be too much of a problem but there should be an added concern for the reasons that are already known.

If it truly was considered small, he never would have been drafted #1.  Ultimately, it doesn't really matter...the median hand size for QBs over the past 20 yrs or so is 9 7/10, so yes, 9 inches would be considered on the smaller side comparatively, but still adequate for most QBs.