Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

Ozzy

Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

• Yes
    • No

Putting aside all the back and forth about whether or not trading Jefferson is a reasonable option, who would give the Vikings a return that is even close to his value?

Diggs was traded for a 1st, 5th, 6th, and future 4th.

Davante Adams was traded for a 1st and 2nd. 

Tyreek Hill was traded for a 1st, 2nd, two 4ths, and a future 6th. 

Sorry, but Jefferson is worth a lot more to the Vikings than anything close to the return from any of those trades. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Putting aside all the back and forth about whether or not trading Jefferson is a reasonable option, who would give the Vikings a return that is even close to his value?

Sorry, but Jefferson is worth a lot more to the Vikings than anything close to the return from any of those trades. 

Jefferson is also younger and doesn’t have an attitude. Adams and Hill were both traded much later in their careers than Jefferson so one would assume Jefferson should get a larger return where two first round picks minimum may be an option. 

Im not pro trade Jefferson, I think it would be foolish but I do believe if he is traded it may blow some of those other recent trades out of the water.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Jefferson is also younger and doesn’t have an attitude. Adams and Hill were both traded much later in their careers than Jefferson so one would assume Jefferson should get a larger return where two first round picks minimum may be an option.

I don’t think age or attitude is going to make a difference. I just can’t see a GM parting with two 1st round picks when they also have to give out a market resetting contract on top of it. 

And, even then, I don’t think two 1st round picks would be enough. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think age or attitude is going to make a difference. I just can’t see a GM parting with two 1st round picks when they also have to give out a market resetting contract on top of it. 

And, even then, I don’t think two 1st round picks would be enough. 

I agree two firsts wouldn't be enough for Jefferson. Jefferson is playing like a generational talent.  He is breaking Randy Moss's early career records.  The GM who would trade JJ this off season would have to leave the state for an undisclosed, secure location!

Also, there isn't a trade partner out there who would give 3 number 1's plus. Those kind of trades are locked in the past after the Vikings traded for Herschel Walker and the Saints traded their whole draft in order to pick Ricky Williams.  Neither worked out well for the Vikings or the Saints.

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Terrible idea?  Maybe, but Packers are pretty sure far better off without Davante Adams than with him.  So anyone can just grab examples to fit.  

Instead they replaced Adams with 6 WR/TEs who combined make $8 mil a year currently, yeah that is a better idea and creates a better roster in general.  

Here is the reality, who is better off in 2025 assuming the player is paid top dollar and both potentially large contracts are coming up.   Jordan Love and the Packers or Justin Jefferson and the Vikings?  Pretty sure Jordan Love and the Packers are more set if he is paid than the Vikings paying Justin Jefferson because one is a QB and one is not.  What is more important to long term success of an NFL team, the WR or the QB? 

In no reality is it the WR because no one has provided a legitimate example of yes that team recently paid a WR top dollar without a top flight QB and that team won big, period.  

The Packers already had Jordan Love in house for 3 yrs. There's a significant difference between starting a rookie QB with no weapons and starting a 3rd yr QB with young weapons.  The Vikings would certainly be better off than the Panthers, but as they showed without JJ and without Kirk, they weren't even close to the same offense, so getting rid of both pieces would likely be a significant detriment. 

Please don't tell me what the "reality" is.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 9:28 PM, wcblack34 said:

We fans are so smart. 

We are brilliant, aren't we?  I can't remember how I felt on the Kolb situation, but I do think I favored bringing in Matt Moore rather than trading for Kolb. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Packers already had Jordan Love in house for 3 yrs. There's a significant difference between starting a rookie QB with no weapons and starting a 3rd yr QB with young weapons.  The Vikings would certainly be better off than the Panthers, but as they showed without JJ and without Kirk, they weren't even close to the same offense, so getting rid of both pieces would likely be a significant detriment. 

Please don't tell me what the "reality" is.

Now out of the top 25 highest paid WRs in the NFL, 2 are currently in the playoffs still being Deebo Samuel who is probably hurt and will not play possibly the next game and barely played when they beat Green Bay and Odell Beckham Jr who is not even the best WR on his own team.  

Jordan Love has been on the Packers 3 years, so what.  The reality is he is a QB, Justin Jefferson is not and no one would take Justin Jefferson over the likes of CJ Stroud, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen or even possibly Jordan Love.   So what are you arguing exactly?

If Justin Jefferson is so great, then it should not matter who the QB is, when in reality it greatly matters who the QB is and matters more than who the freaking WR is!  Especially if one wants to win in the playoffs.  

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That is true, but really no one is going to give up more than what those others went for because honestly they are a freaking WR.

Odell Beckham Jr was traded for a 1st and a 3rd round pick along with Jabrill Peppers by the way.

And maybe a trade is off the table, but still comes down to is it worth building your entire organization around a WR.  I am not sure it is, so is he worth paying money that could be paid to a top flight QB instead?  Then again Vikings probably cannot even get a top flight QB anyway.

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Im not pro trade Jefferson, I think it would be foolish but I do believe if he is traded it may blow some of those other recent trades out of the water.

Stefon Diggs was traded at 26 Justin Jefferson is 24 so their ages are not that different but Jefferson has been more successful early.  Odell Beckham Jr was traded at 26 as well but got hurt and his production has greatly dropped off ever since then really outside of that one good year in Cleveland right after the trade.

Jefferson will be 25 in June so that is coming up.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Then again Vikings probably cannot even get a top flight QB anyway.

Not in FA and not via trade. The question isn't Jefferson OR Great QB...the question is, should we pay JJ 30-40 million per during the time when we're starting a young, cheap QB who hopefully becomes "top flight".

I believe the answer is yes.

Edited by sinceAtikevike
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not an either/or concept. The choice isn’t between paying a QB and paying a WR. 

They can both be done with relative ease. 

Not with keeping and building the rest of the roster.  And that only works if one believes that Kirk Cousins/Justin Jefferson together will lead the team to long term success when Kirk maybe has 2-3 good years left and the OL is still a mess, the CB situation is pretty bad, the DL situation is bad to awful if they lose Hunter.  So no you cannot do both, you have to pay one or the other.  If they end up paying Kirk and Justin $60-$70 mil a year combined over a few years, the team will ultimately fail in my opinion unless other positions are addressed.  

10 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Not in FA and not via trade. The question isn't Jefferson OR Great QB...the question is, should we pay JJ 30-40 million per during the time when we're starting a young, cheap QB who hopefully becomes "top flight".

Sure that is the ideal time but only if the QB that is drafted, most likely Penix Jr, Nix or McCarthy is a total dynamo QB similar to what CJ Stroud did this past year.

Not sure I have faith in that with Penix Jr's injury history, Nix's system QB play at Oregon or McCarthy never actually leading a team without a ridiculously talented roster around him at every position.  Now if they do that it would open up tons of cash for other positions that need to be addressed and maybe paying Hunter as well.  

Giving Kirk Cousins and Justin Jefferson $60-$70 mil per year for 2-3 seasons, not sure that is a winning move because they already have shown they can only get so far together.  

Penix Jr could be the answer but four seasons ended by season ending injuries his first four years of college is a scary thought.  Especially with how beat up he got against Texas and looked like a different player under actual pressure from a legit DL.  Who knows.  

"no one will give up 2 firsts plus for JJ."

"trading JJ for one of the elite QBs in this draft makes no sense."

"it would take at least 2 firsts to move into the top 3-4 picks and get one of the elite QBs."

some of these opinions seem inconsistent......if you could get Maye, Williams or Daniels for JJ, you'd not do it, even though it would take 4 top picks to get into that area of the draft?

22 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

"no one will give up 2 firsts plus for JJ."

"trading JJ for one of the elite QBs in this draft makes no sense."

"it would take at least 2 firsts to move into the top 3-4 picks and get one of the elite QBs."

some of these opinions seem inconsistent......if you could get Maye, Williams or Daniels for JJ, you'd not do it, even though it would take 4 top picks to get into that area of the draft?

we are greedy fanz.

we want a top draft qb AND Jefferson.

• Like 3