Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

Ozzy

Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

• Yes
    • No

39 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure is the pick #4 that different than #11?  No, maybe Vikings could get Jaydon Daniels at #4 but not sure he is a total savor at the position either.  Ideally would be they get someone like Harrison Jr or Odunze, keep Cousins and ideally get more picks along with one of those two WRs who could totally take the place of Jefferson moving forward and save the organization millions.  

Like I posted in the 2024 draft threat, the Packers obviously decide to spend their money not on one WR like the Vikings soon could be doing.  Instead Green Bay spends on two young TEs and all four young WRs, all 6 of them only make around $7-$8 mil a year combined together currently for all six guys!

Where the Vikings are about to pay $30-$35 mil yearly for one WR for multiple years with a majority of the contract being guaranteed.  Packers are clearly in a better position now and long term because they got a QB and just fill in around him.  Granted they have drafted very well the past two years especially last year so that does help greatly with everything.  

Out of the top 4 targeted WRs in the NFL, all four are currently out of the playoffs and two were on teams that made the playoffs and obviously Dallas/Miami are currently out of the playoffs and lost.  Out of the top 10 most targeted WRs in the NFL, two are still in the playoffs with St. Brown and the Lions along with Stefon Diggs and the Bills.  And both are not the main reason their teams are still in it, part of it but pretty sure they are not the absolute deciding factor with either organization.  

And like I brought up earlier, sure some might consider Jefferson the "2nd best player" in the NFL, but again reality is no one and no organization would take Justin Jefferson over any of these QBs over the next 5 years in terms of winning football games.

Patrick Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
CJ Stroud
Justin Herbert

and sadly probably can throw Jordan Love in that mix if he keeps playing this well and maybe some other QBs possibly.  It is just the reality and so far Justin Jefferson being apart of the organization is great and he puts up stats but does it make the team win, and the fact is absolutely not when it matters.  If they can sign him long term with Cousins, not sure that wins them anything either other than spending a lot of money and for what?

Hence why I said to potentially trade IF the guy Vike's want (not us here) is available at 4. If they, you, want to wait for the absolute sure fire QB guaranteed we could be waiting a long time ....if it ever happens. At some point you have to take shot.

People fear Ponder....but is anyone up top even here from when was drafted for you to be wary (ms?) of in making the selection?

10 hours ago, Hagar said:

Hence why I said to potentially trade IF the guy Vike's want (not us here) is available at 4. If they, you, want to wait for the absolute sure fire QB guaranteed we could be waiting a long time ....if it ever happens. At some point you have to take shot.

People fear Ponder....but is anyone up top even here from when was drafted for you to be wary (ms?) of in making the selection?

I think the Ponder thing is more along the lines of panicking when QBs start flying off the board. Ponder was a 2nd or 3rd round talent that the Vikings took at #12 because they felt they "needed" to take a QB instead of taking a better player at #12 and addressing QB elsewhere. I think the sentiment is that, if you feel he's a 1st round talent, take him in the first round. But if you have questions as to whether he's worth that pick, or flat out think he's a 2nd rounder, don't take him just to address the position. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think the Ponder thing is more along the lines of panicking when QBs start flying off the board. Ponder was a 2nd or 3rd round talent that the Vikings took at #12 because they felt they "needed" to take a QB instead of taking a better player at #12 and addressing QB elsewhere.

And the fact that the only QB they had on roster at the time was Joe Webb. 

Trading Jefferson would signal a full tear down and re build.

I don't see KAM or KOC having a long enough leash to initiate that type on move two years into the "competitive rebuild". Neither has really inspired much confidence that either of them are the long term answer. KOC has done a decent job turning the culture around but his game day decision making often leaves alot to be desired. KAMs personnel moves outside of the Hockenson trade have not been great and his talent evaluation also leaves you questioning his abilities as a general manager.

If we were to trade Jefferson I would just assume restart from the top down by bringing in a football minded GM. 

• Like 2

If Kwesi and KOC traded Jefferson, it would be a fast track to getting fired. It's not going to happen. It's almost not even worth discussing because the idea is just so asinine. Jefferson is an established, bonafide future HOFer at the most important position that a young, franchise QB will need to be successful in both the short and long term. Why trade Jefferson in hopes that you can get someone half as good as him? Because of the cap? Get real.  

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

If Kwesi and KOC traded Jefferson, it would be a fast track to getting fired. It's not going to happen. It's almost not even worth discussing because the idea is just so asinine. Jefferson is an established, bonafide future HOFer at the most important position that a young, franchise QB will need to be successful in both the short and long term. Why trade Jefferson in hopes that you can get someone half as good as him? Because of the cap? Get real.  

While DJ Moore is not a HoF level player, all you need to do is look at the Carolina Panthers and see that that's a terrible idea. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

While DJ Moore is not a HoF level player, all you need to do is look at the Carolina Panthers and see that that's a terrible idea. 

I will never understand their thinking of trading away Moore. Especially since it was reported that the Bears were willing to accept Moore, Burns, or Brown. 

24 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

It’s possible when the draft rolls around, the only QB on the roster might be Jaren Hall

We'll have to see how this one turns out, but this free agency market appears to be a little bit better than the 2011 one, which only had an ancient Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Moore (who hadn't really done anything at that point), Alex Smith (who ended re-upping with SF) and busts Matt Leinart and Vince Young.  I believe that was the year we here all thought they should have traded for Kevin Kolb, who ended up getting traded to Arizona. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

We'll have to see how this one turns out, but this free agency market appears to be a little bit better than the 2011 one, which only had an ancient Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Moore (who hadn't really done anything at that point), Alex Smith (who ended re-upping with SF) and busts Matt Leinart and Vince Young.  I believe that was the year we here all thought they should have traded for Kevin Kolb, who ended up getting traded to Arizona. 

Wasn't that also the lockout year so they couldn't do much before the draft?