Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

Ozzy

Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

If Kwesi and KOC traded Jefferson, it would be a fast track to getting fired. It's not going to happen. It's almost not even worth discussing because the idea is just so asinine. 

it is worth discussing though, so to continue stating how asinine it is.

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

We'll have to see how this one turns out, but this free agency market appears to be a little bit better than the 2011 one, which only had an ancient Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Moore (who hadn't really done anything at that point), Alex Smith (who ended re-upping with SF) and busts Matt Leinart and Vince Young.  I believe that was the year we here all thought they should have traded for Kevin Kolb, who ended up getting traded to Arizona. 

We fans are so smart. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:50 AM, swede700 said:

While DJ Moore is not a HoF level player, all you need to do is look at the Carolina Panthers and see that that's a terrible idea. 

Terrible idea?  Maybe, but Packers are pretty sure far better off without Davante Adams than with him.  So anyone can just grab examples to fit.  

Instead they replaced Adams with 6 WR/TEs who combined make $8 mil a year currently, yeah that is a better idea and creates a better roster in general.  

Here is the reality, who is better off in 2025 assuming the player is paid top dollar and both potentially large contracts are coming up.   Jordan Love and the Packers or Justin Jefferson and the Vikings?  Pretty sure Jordan Love and the Packers are more set if he is paid than the Vikings paying Justin Jefferson because one is a QB and one is not.  What is more important to long term success of an NFL team, the WR or the QB? 

In no reality is it the WR because no one has provided a legitimate example of yes that team recently paid a WR top dollar without a top flight QB and that team won big, period.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Instead they replaced Adams with 6 WR/TEs who combined make $8 mil a year currently, yeah that is a better idea and creates a better roster in general.  

Yes they did but I think this speaks more to their drafting ability. I don't think they expected all 6 of those players to be major contributors. The Vikings have simply not drafted well and that needs to be fixed if they're going to compete with or without JJ.

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Yes they did but I think this speaks more to their drafting ability. I don't think they expected all 6 of those players to be major contributors. The Vikings have simply not drafted well and that needs to be fixed if they're going to compete with or without JJ.

Yes of course, totally agree.  

Still there is a matter of the top 15 highest paid WRs in the NFL currently on average salary per year, each making $18-$30 million a year, one is still in the playoffs in Stefon Diggs all the rest are out.  So does a WR make you win when it matters?  Conveniently people do not answer the question of who would you rather have....a top flight young QB that is proven or Justin Jefferson over the next five years, and my guess is no one would pick Justin Jefferson over almost any of them.  

So comes to the point of unless the Vikings get an absolutely elite level QB either in the draft or Kirk Cousins becomes that, they have no shot at winning long term regardless of paying Justin Jefferson or not.  

• Like 1

When we look back throughout the SB Era, Michael Irvin, Stallworth, and Jerry Rice are the superstar WRs that helped their teams win SBs.   Larry Fitzgerald got close.  Marvin Harrison got one, as did O'Dell.  

Look at all the other teams that very won, and generally, they don't have high paid WRs.   Great teams draft O-Line, a QB and defense . . . And they pay those guys. 

I love JJ and thinks he's part alien taking those hits and still gets up ripping it.  However, if a team wanted to offer 2 1sts for him and then pay him $34-35M per year . . . They'll be hurting.    IF that happened, the Vikes CANNOT spend a high pick on a WR to replace him.  

Turn around and lose KJ too . . . Total nightmare.   

Pay JJ, lose KJ . . . Pay Risner, lose KC . . . Pay Hunter, lose Wonnum.   

7 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

So, who is going to be throwing the ball to JJ?  Starting a rookie is to pretty much put the Vikings in a real hole in a division where the other three teams are ascending.

Well, that's a dilemma.   But if you pay JJ and Cousins, do you sacrifice Hunter, Wonnum and Risner?

We've seen teams over the years be unbalanced . . . And get nowhere.   To me, roll the dice on QB . . . Rookie?  Minshew?  Mullens?  Hall?  I really don't know the best plan.   But, I do know, if we don't have Darrisaw, Risner, and the rest up front, the offense will suck.  Why short-change the defense too?   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

When we look back throughout the SB Era, Michael Irvin, Stallworth, and Jerry Rice are the superstar WRs that helped their teams win SBs.   Larry Fitzgerald got close.  Marvin Harrison got one, as did O'Dell.  

Look at all the other teams that very won, and generally, they don't have high paid WRs.   Great teams draft O-Line, a QB and defense . . . And they pay those guys. 

I love JJ and thinks he's part alien taking those hits and still gets up ripping it.  However, if a team wanted to offer 2 1sts for him and then pay him $34-35M per year . . . They'll be hurting.    IF that happened, the Vikes CANNOT spend a high pick on a WR to replace him.  

Turn around and lose KJ too . . . Total nightmare.   

Pay JJ, lose KJ . . . Pay Risner, lose KC . . . Pay Hunter, lose Wonnum.   

Rice, Irvin, Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Stallworth and Beckham.... all had absolute Hall of Fame QBs to throw them the ball, every single one of them....

Kirk Cousins to me is not a HOF QB unless he kills it the next 4-5 years of his career.  So even if they can bring him back, so what really.

But yes, especially lately the teams that spend on a WR and pay him a long do not generally win and only times they do is with a QB that absolutely is one of the best in the league like Josh Allen currently and Diggs.  Without Diggs they would still be a successful offense, without Josh Allen they might not even be in the playoffs.  

Also Adams and Hill, neither of them commanded two 1st rounders so why would Jefferson.  Also the Chiefs and Packers are both far better off without those receivers than with them, granted they both had a young a long term potential QB on the roster in both cases, the Vikings do not.  As for spending a high 1st rounder to replace Jefferson if he is traded, that is not a bad option, it is exactly what they did with Diggs and drafted his replacement instantly that was far cheaper that what Diggs wanted.  No reason Odunze or Harrison Jr could not be very successful instantly in the NFL.  

Either way it still comes down to will the team win long term or not, and I am not convinced if they sign Jefferson that will help them in the long run without a great QB.  

20 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Well, that's a dilemma.   But if you pay JJ and Cousins, do you sacrifice Hunter, Wonnum and Risner?

We've seen teams over the years be unbalanced . . . And get nowhere.   To me, roll the dice on QB . . . Rookie?  Minshew?  Mullens?  Hall?  I really don't know the best plan.   But, I do know, if we don't have Darrisaw, Risner, and the rest up front, the offense will suck.  Why short-change the defense too?   

In the past I have held your position, only to be told that having a franchise quarterback is the most important thing and should be the focus of the front office. I won't be saying that to you! 😉

If Cousins leaves and Hunter is re-signed, I think the Vikings will be in play for a 1st round QB.  If Cousins is resigned and Hunter leaves, I think the Vikings will draft an edge rusher at 11.  If Cousins AND Hunter leave...which I think is likely...then the Vikings still have to go QB in the first round. 

If the Vikings get their QB in the draft, then I would hope that they get a QB place holder better than Mullens. Mullens may have some decent stats, but he's not a winner.  If you don't want to completely waste a season of JJ's, Addison's, and Hockenson's talent then the Vikes will need to bring in someone like Minshew, Brissett or Dalton.  

If Cousins isn't back next  season then, whoever our starter is, it's going to be a challenge for the Vikings to compete.

From an outsiders perspective, the Vikes have a knack at drafting/grooming/finding stud receivers on a regular basis. Ex, Moss, Carter, diggs thelan, addison, jefferson and more than I know of... 

Addison was a stud while Jefferson was hurt this year. 

The vikes tanked this year after cousins went down with his achilles injury. Will he ever make it back??? That is a huge unknown at his age. Quite frankly, I have never been a fan of his, he is a journeyman qb at best imho. 

If the vikes want to compete in the nfc north next year, they need to figure out how to get a franchise qb. Trading jefferson may just be the move to give them enough draft capitol  to find one...

IMHO

I get the concept, because of all the draft capital you could get and not having to pay him 30 million a year. 

I don't think there is a GM in the world with a big enough sack to trade the best WR in the NFL, in the early part of his prime. 

• Like 2