2023 Super Wildcard Weekend Steelers 10-7 Vs. Bills 11-6

2019-steelers-vs-bills.jpg

Who: Steelers at Bills

What: Super Wildcard Weekend

When: Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 1:00 pm

Where: Highmark Stadium Orchard Park, NY

All Time Series: 29 Meetings (including 3 in the Play-offs) Steelers lead 17-12

Last Meeting : Week 5 2022 It was Kenny Pickett's first NFL start. Bills dismantled the Steelers in embarrassing fashion 38-3. Josh Allen threw for 424 yards, 4 TD's including a 98 yard TD to Gabe Davis.

TM6OIF5WN5A5VM46A5ENQ2FKJQ.jpg

Steelers look to ground and pound their way to a play-off victory behind a resurgent offensive line and a two headed RB combo led by Najee Harris and Jalen Warren

dd2vg42zbv9c14c3npzu.jpg

Steelers will lean more on rookie CB Joey Porter Jr. to slow down Gabe Davis and Stephon Diggs.

9187901895859cca9716248f5eb43f50

Steelers will need to get much closer and physical with Josh Allen as well

1432002396.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Steelers will need to get George Pickens back in the passing attack this week.

george-pickens-nfl-player-prop-preview-s

The defense is going to have to step up being without their best player in TJ Watt

jgseh6cykv6ynbqmn8ys.jpg

Looking for Warren to have a bounce back game. Especially if the Bills key on Harris.  Jalen's explosiveness could make a difference.

tmvd5bewcde7lhlkjxzl.jpg

This also may not be a bad time to get the ball into other explosive players hands like Calvin Austin III

q8cqn4nrkdkxb5cyyra2.jpg

I am predicting that the Steelers ride the hot hand of Mason Rudolph despite Kenny Pickett remaining the starter on paper

AA1mjUb0.img

Steelers went 10-7 and got into the play-offs with some help. Mike Tomlin could use a play-off win to quell the fans of the Mediocre Mike talk. Coach Tomlin has dropped his last four play-off games. A win in Buffalo would give them a shot for a third time against the powerful Ravens who would be at full strength and looking to destroy Pittsburgh after the Steelers beat them twice in 2023. Here's an opportunity to go from fans calling him mediocre to Mastermind Mike!

mike-tomlin.jpg

• Like 2

Take this with an absolute grain of salt but I saw someone on twitter pointed out Mason took the Steelers out of his IG bio which could point to Kenny being named the starter against the Bills.

If that happens get ready for a riot from Pittsburgh fans. 

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Take this with an absolute grain of salt but I saw someone on twitter pointed out Mason took the Steelers out of his IG bio which could point to Kenny being named the starter against the Bills.

That would be an extremely stupid decision by Tomlin if true.

20 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

There is no way they can go to Kenny after Mason saved the season while putting up better numbers than Pickett and Trubisky in 3 games. It would be a terrible coaching decision. 

About the game, the Bills, especially Allen, have not been impressive this season. I think if the Steelers can limit the Bills rushing attack I like the Steelers chances. It will take some doing with Watt out but I do not think the Bills are a dominant team and, like KC, are prime to be knocked off.

Edited by C$!

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can't remember who said it(maybe Hoke) but I remember seeing that Tomlin was going to "ruffle some feathers" if he had to pick a QB for the playoffs. 

Ugh.  Hoke is the worse with all these comments.

I don't think it's super likely that we win this one. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if we do. We've got a team that can win. Good running game to kill clock and a quick hitter scoring passing game. Our defense is solid and can take the ball away and get after the QB. It also wouldn't surprise me to get beat by two scores. I feel pretty zen when it comes to my fandom these days. 

Really odd to say, but part of me really wished it was the Chiefs. I can't ever imaging saying "I wanted Mahomes". Both teams are flawed this year, but I think KC is ripe for a knock-off. Even just watching a couple weeks of them, their body language seems like they are ready to load up the UHauls. 

Like our offensive matchup against the Bill defense better than against the Chiefs. And vice versa for the defense. Just feel like Allen could go nuclear at any moment. That place is going to be hype. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Really odd to say, but part of me really wished it was the Chiefs. I can't ever imaging saying "I wanted Mahomes". Both teams are flawed this year, but I think KC is ripe for a knock-off. Even just watching a couple weeks of them, their body language seems like they are ready to load up the UHauls. 

Like our offensive matchup against the Bill defense better than against the Chiefs. And vice versa for the defense. Just feel like Allen could go nuclear at any moment. That place is going to be hype. 

I also thought the Chiefs and Miami would be better matchups for us as everybody currently stands and probably would've chosen the Chiefs especially considering the forecasted weather of the teens. Whoever we play, the forecast is going to be or should be, to take the air out of the game. The goal should be as many 6 and 7 minute 15-18 type play running drives as possible with a pass sprinkled in here or there. Im not saying we cant or wont move the ball via the pass, but I don't think you want to get our current defense in a shootout. 

I do think though that we will need a big play or two from the WRs.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I also thought the Chiefs and Miami would be better matchups for us as everybody currently stands and probably would've chosen the Chiefs especially considering the forecasted weather of the teens. Whoever we play, the forecast is going to be or should be, to take the air out of the game. The goal should be as many 6 and 7 minute 15-18 type play running drives as possible with a pass sprinkled in here or there. Im not saying we cant or wont move the ball via the pass, but I don't think you want to get our current defense in a shootout. 

I do think though that we will need a big play or two from the WRs.

Yep…do some PA what I remember they didn’t do against the Ravens for some odd reason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

Yep…do some PA what I remember they didn’t do against the Ravens for some odd reason.

I hope we can get them into some single high looks to free up GP/Muth/DJ all at the same time.  Although I don't like what I hear with Muth saying in the Cincy game he knew he was only a decoy for the defense - I'm not a fan of taking away a weapon in that way and I fear they might do that with GP this game.

47 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I agree. The Chiefs weapons are abysmal. With the Bills we've got to contend with two good TEs, Diggs, Allen, and their back who is apparently solid. With KC, it's just Kelce pretty much. 

• Like 2

As much as everybody including us wants to beat our own team down, we can win vs most or all of these teams in this AFC tournament, our worts cannot show however to do so. That means guys like Harvin & Cole, Levi Wallace & Chandon Sullivan, Dan Moore need to play at the top of their capabilities. Also when guys like Najee get the ball they need to get the first down not run sideways to make the big play. There are times and places for that but on 3rd & 4 when you need to build momentum or get out of a hole, get the 1st down. I cant count the number of times one of those guys not named George Pickens broke a play open in one of those situations where they ran back or around instead of forward, I don't think they exist almost. 

Play like you need that next first down like you need to breathe when you have the opportunity. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree. The Chiefs weapons are abysmal. With the Bills we've got to contend with two good TEs, Diggs, Allen, and their back who is apparently solid. With KC, it's just Kelce pretty much. 

Something seems to have been off with Allen the last few weeks.  I like JPJ's matchup with him.  Having Minkah back will help.  Especially with Rowe playing better I like the idea of PP playing a "big nickel" safety role and taking the TE in those matchups.  Shockingly it's Gabe Davis that scares me the most.  I don't think Wallace is a good matchup with him and Minkah will be occupied helping on TE's.

• Like 1