Packers 2024 Opponents

Brat&Beer

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

It's not anti, it's the truth. He's just a 7th round pick surrounded by a LOT of talent. He's right there with Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer talent wise. If the Niners defense was a little better they might have won. But Purdy is NOT a difference maker.

The media blows him up because they love Mr. IRRELEVANT. 

Dude has started 21 games...as a rookie and second year player.  68.7% completion percentage.  44 TD 15 INT ratio.  5654 total yards.  269 yards/game.

That's more than just having great guys around him.  Jimmy G didn't do that, (except for completion %)  Trey Lance and his draft status didn't do that.  But Purdy did.

Give the kid some credit.  He's smart and pretty darned accurate.  

Let's look at Rodgers first two years.

691 completions 1077 attempts.  64.1%.  58 TDs.  20 INT.  8472 yards.  32 games.  264 yards/game.

Packers team had some nice weapons, too, for those years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I don’t paint him as bad, I’ve been disappointed in how good he’s been. Mainly his ability to see the field and also roll out and make the play when things go off script have been eye opening for his 1st and 2nd year. They really lucked out getting him when they did but then had the very wise evaluation to keep him in as QB3 on their 53. His preseason was good but plenty of guys have  flashes in late preseason games vs fourth stringers. Lynch and the front office get huge credit. He also came back from a significant injury to his throwing arm. I don’t question the guy’s grit and solid talent. I hope they pay him like he’s elite because he’s not is all I’m saying. 

I'm not sure how much credit the SF FO deserves.  They got lucky.  It happens.  Only time will tell whether SF claims any SB's with Purdy under center. Things definitely get tougher for them once Purdy is on the new contract.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Give the kid some credit.  He's smart and pretty darned accurate.  

Cherry pick-

So was Brad Johnson.

Does Purdy have compromising pics of you?

12 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Cherry pick-

So was Brad Johnson.

Does Purdy have compromising pics of you?

Let's check...

Brad Johnson first two years starting.  25 games.

470 completions.  763 attempts.  61.5%.  5294 yards.  211.76/game.  37 TD.  22 INT.

Purdy.  21 games.

422 completions.  614 attempts.  68.7%.  5654 yards.  269.23/game.  44 TD.  15 INT.  

Heck, Purdy was 5'th in the league for yards last year.  4th in completion %.  3rd in TD's.  1st in QBR.  And I read where he's not all that.  Well, in this league and for that team, he is.  And this is the team that didn't get that level of play from Jimmy G, arguably in his prime and Trey Lance, a third overall pick.  Saying that anyone in that offense could get those results is just silly.

I love silly.

Sorry, guess I hit a nerve. No 7th rounder has ever fallen into a better spot.

You know I was talking SBs with Johnson remark.

It's okay that I don't like Mr. IRRELEVANT.  I'm not going to say he's even top 10 talent wise. He's had a modicum of success but I think that's more to do with his coach.

Jimmy Garrapolo sucks.

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I love silly.

Sorry, guess I hit a nerve. No 7th rounder has ever fallen into a better spot.

You know I was talking SBs with Johnson remark.

It's okay that I don't like Mr. IRRELEVANT.  I'm not going to say he's even top 10 talent wise. He's had a modicum of success but I think that's more to do with his coach.

Jimmy Garrapolo sucks.

Yeah?  Well, Jimmy and Cobb would have beautiful babies!

LOL!

You say that No 7'th rounder has fallen into a better spot.  Lance was in that same spot as a third overall pick and he busted hard.

I had no clue what you were getting at with Johnson, other than he was a non-running/scrambling QB who had some success in the NFL.

Fair point about his coach.  But again, it was the same coach that led to Lance busting.

41 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not sure how much credit the SF FO deserves.  They got lucky.  It happens.  Only time will tell whether SF claims any SB's with Purdy under center. Things definitely get tougher for them once Purdy is on the new contract.

Keeping a 3rd QB on the 53 when very few teams do was more than luck. Identifying him as a guy in the end of the 7th round was very lucky. 

Landing in a good situation just means a player has some advantages.  It does not mean the player automatically plays well.  If that were true, Trey Lance would be dominating the league.  Fans confuse physical "talent" with the ability to actually play the game.  Often deciding ahead of time that players just can't be good because of their physical limitations.  There are plenty of GB fans who will be happy to tell you that Brady was never a particularly good QB.  He just fell into a good situation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Keeping a 3rd QB on the 53 when very few teams do was more than luck. Identifying him as a guy in the end of the 7th round was very lucky. 

LOL .. let's do this: agree the 49ers are lucky, they are run/managed well and they are one of the better NFC teams.  They haven't won the big one in spite of that, their window to do so is narrowing due to other teams (Packers, Detroit, Dallas) getting better, their qb is adequate and their roster is well rounded.  You and Persian like them more than Maz, Dubz and I do .. love this forum.

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. let's do this: agree the 49ers are lucky, they are run/managed well and they are one of the better NFC teams.  They haven't won the big one in spite of that, their window to do so is narrowing due to other teams (Packers, Detroit, Dallas) getting better, their qb is adequate and their roster is well rounded.  You and Persian like them more than Maz, Dubz and I do .. love this forum.

Winning the whole thing is extremely difficult and yes takes being good and fortunate with health and breaks at just the right time. Best team still doesn’t always win.

It’s late March on an NFL forum, should be no surprise people are splitting hairs about any damn thing considering we’re several weeks away from any tangible news. I am not in the camp that likes the 9ers, they are the team outside of the NFCN I actively hate the most. GB obviously thinks they are doing something right, though bringing in the Shanny system, our OC and now even S&C from over there. If we could just get LaFleur’s best man in at DC it would be complete. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. abhorrent?  I didn't say they were cooked or done and finished, that's your take.  I said their super bowl window was coming in the next year or two and then it wasn't going to look as good due to salary cap constraints, losing quality players, etc .  What they've done and haven't gotten done to win a Super bowl is nice but doesn't mean squat for what's coming in the next few years.  Disrespectful - LOL .. not talking about you, your family .. it's like you consider them family .. Take a chill pill ... "dude".

Same guy said in another thread we should all be respectful to one another when somebody questioned his take lol can't make this stuff up. 

• Like 2

Purdy's a system QB and benefits from the weapons around him; his play declines in wet weather and/or without Trent Williams. That said, you can't take away what he's been able to accomplish in that system where his IQ and instincts can thrive. 

On 3/28/2024 at 7:43 AM, vegas492 said:

This is a team that has a golden horseshoe lodged up their rear ends.

it's funny that you say this, the Niners fans i'm around would say it's the opposite. granted, they've lost 3 SBs this century so i can understand why they'd feel that way

On 3/28/2024 at 9:23 AM, Dubz41 said:

He's right there with Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer talent wise.

this is a bad take. Purdy is an above average QB, he has good processing and throws with anticipation and accuracy. was he not all that poised in the postseason? no...but he's 24 years old. 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:42 AM, Mazrimiv said:

I don't see someone saying SF may not be the class of the NFC this year being especially abhorrent.

yea, well...i do. if i believe they're one of the best teams in the league, then i think anyone who suddenly thinks they won't be is a bad take. we can disagree, it's fine.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:11 AM, Refugee said:

I work with a lot of old school 9er fans who actually know ball. Now we do get into it from time to time and recent history means they have had one over on me for a while, so it stings a bit but that’s how sports goes.

yea that sounds like you've had some solid experiences with Niners fans. unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for me. since i'm living in NorCal, i go to every Packer game against SF here. in the last 3 times i've gone, i've gotten in 2 fights and witnessed many fights. now, before you guys say it's me, it wasn't! in both cases I just had my gear on and was rooting my team on, but my friends and i got jumped anyway. 

i've been to Raiders games and conversely, never had a problem with that fanbase or seen any fights despite the fact that their fanbase (at least when they were in Oakland) had the reputation for being rowdy and thuggish. nope, i've found that to be the case with the Niners fanbase

and that's just the games. going to bars, same thing. very entitled fanbase, very rude, seen many violent occurrences sadly. 

and then there are my friends and even family who give me grief all the time. all in all, i have many reasons not to like the Niners. in fact, they're my most hated team in the NFL because of these experiences

when we do play them in a big game next time (and if we want to go to the Superb Owl, i'm sure they'll be in the way)....a win against them would mean more for me than most on this forum

10 hours ago, persiandud said:

yea that sounds like you've had some solid experiences with Niners fans. unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for me. since i'm living in NorCal, i go to every Packer game against SF here. in the last 3 times i've gone, i've gotten in 2 fights and witnessed many fights. now, before you guys say it's me, it wasn't! in both cases I just had my gear on and was rooting my team on, but my friends and i got jumped anyway. 

I’ve been to the last two regular season games in Santa Clara and everything was fine for me. In general I don’t like going to games in opposition territory but I’ve seen worse than my experience at 9ers games from Candlestick to Levi’s.  Was also at a Warriors Bucks game a few weeks ago, that was nothing. Football crowd vs. basketball is generally a lot less frenzied. Maybe it’s the nature of having so many less games but I think it’s because usually the weekend games mean the crowd is sauced up quite a bit more. Anyway, everyone will have different experiences.  9ers will be a team we have to reckon with in seasons to come but they might just be losing a step while we are gaining one. Time will tell.