Packers 2024 Opponents

Brat&Beer

21 hours ago, coachbuns said:

There isn't enough money to go around .. period.  A team can't stay elite without draft choices/young talent.  49ers peed away a ton of choices just a couple years ago looking for their qb.  They aren't the class of the conference maybe even this year .. Detroit and Packers gave them all they could handle last year.  I'll take the Packers, Detroit and maybe even more teams over them maybe even this year and for sure down the road. 

I view this as a bad take as well, as it relates to San Fran.  Not in a general sense, but in the San Fran sense.

This is the only team that can not only survive, but freakin' THRIVE when they spend an obscene amount of draft capital on a QB and whiff almost in historic fashion.

They let RB's come and go without batting an eye.  The GM works trades masterfully.  The CMC deal was a great one for them and he's got as team friendly a deal as a guy can have for a RB, which ironically is similar to what we have Jacobs on.

They draft and develop.  They cut guys a year early versus a year late.  They use trades to strengthen rosters.  

But their best ability is the ability to literally fall into a pile of manure and get up without having any of it, or the stink, on them.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I view this as a bad take as well, as it relates to San Fran.  Not in a general sense, but in the San Fran sense.

This is the only team that can not only survive, but freakin' THRIVE when they spend an obscene amount of draft capital on a QB and whiff almost in historic fashion.

They let RB's come and go without batting an eye.  The GM works trades masterfully.  The CMC deal was a great one for them and he's got as team friendly a deal as a guy can have for a RB, which ironically is similar to what we have Jacobs on.

They draft and develop.  They cut guys a year early versus a year late.  They use trades to strengthen rosters.  

But their best ability is the ability to literally fall into a pile of manure and get up without having any of it, or the stink, on them.

I think this is pretty accurate. They have done wonderful job using all avenues to improve their roster.

However, while they have done a good job developing Purdy, they also got pretty lucky that their flier on a guy they evaluated basically as a UDFA worked out (I think Shannahan will keep him as a good QB but probably not elite). They also failed significantly developing Lance and Garoppolo.

They could easily surprise me, but I do think they will regress some in 2024 vs other NFC teams progress. They lost some pretty key pieces on defense.

5 hours ago, persiandud said:

no. some takes are abhorrent and deserve ridicule, that was one of them. you gave a sensible opinion but stopped short of saying they're cooked, that guy straight up said they're done and finished. imagine thinking the team that has been to 2 SBs in 4 years, leads the league in EPA and YAC every year and has arguably the most complete roster in football is going to fall off a cliff. that dude needs to come back down to earth and moving forward I won't trust anything they say

that team is not going anywhere even when they pay Brock Purdy, same as we're not going anywhere when we pay Jordan Love. will they lose some players? sure, but they'll retool. we're going to lose some players too, we can't pay everybody. that's the nature of the business

some of the opinions in here regarding the Niners are disrespectful, and believe me I hate them more than any other team (I live in Cali and I loath their fanbase) but they're going to be a problem as long as Shanahan and Purdy are there. they have 2 valuable components to sustained success, the head coach and the QB

I hate to admit it but they're our daddy until we beat them in the postseason and get the monkey off our back. 

Yeah but even if you completely disagree with a take, antagonizing someone just turns things into a pizzing match. I live in Cali, SF actually but don’t abhor their fan base. I work with a lot of old school 9er fans who actually know ball. Now we do get into it from time to time and recent history means they have had one over on me for a while, so it stings a bit but that’s how sports goes. I’m very happy they’ve lost the most recent 2 SBs and don’t think they’ve got it in them to go this year.  Purdy is good, I was waiting for his collapse but he proved me wrong. I still don’t think he’s great. Them paying him a big time contract will keep them in purgatory for a while. Then again, he could keep proving me wrong but he wasn’t great in their playoff run. The team and system have allowed him to maximize his talent but I believe the ceiling isn’t much higher than what we’re seeing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think this is pretty accurate. They have done wonderful job using all avenues to improve their roster.

However, while they have done a good job developing Purdy, they also got pretty lucky that their flier on a guy they evaluated basically as a UDFA worked out (I think Shannahan will keep him as a good QB but probably not elite). They also failed significantly developing Lance and Garoppolo.

They could easily surprise me, but I do think they will regress some in 2024 vs other NFC teams progress. They lost some pretty key pieces on defense.

I have little doubt that the 49ers will have one really bad year in the next 3 years.  Bad enough to where they will have a high draft pick and the draft will conveniently gift them another Bosa type player.

This is a team that has a golden horseshoe lodged up their rear ends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You keep falling into manure and I guarantee you some eventually will stick on you and it will stink.  49ers have had chances the last 4 years and haven't gotten the trophy yet.  I'm not crumbing/dissing the 49ers at all .. I said their golden window may very well be closing as it usually does when your qb has to get paid as well as their stud players wanting to get paid.  I dislike the Vikings a whole lot more than the 49ers .. period.  Persian, if I hurt your feelings or thoughts .. oh well .. I'd rather get after the Vikings anyway.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The biggest problem for the 49ers, as others have noted, is that they're running on borrowed time with regards to some of their best players that they picked up during the early Shanahan seasons due to age and/or pending paydays. Their last four drafts have been a bit hit or miss. Obviously snagging Purdy helps a ton, but they are already going to be relying on a soon-to-be 36 year old LT, will be hoping one of their two star ILBs can come back from an Achilles, and navigating a pretty tight cap window. So they're either going to need several of those players to take a leap or they're going to need to have a real strong next few drafts.

Plus, that doesn't take into account for the other teams in their division and in the conference improving (and general variance when it comes to the NFL). 

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

You keep falling into manure and I guarantee you some eventually will stick on you and it will stink.  49ers have had chances the last 4 years and haven't gotten the trophy yet.  I'm not crumbing/dissing the 49ers at all .. I said their golden window may very well be closing as it usually does when your qb has to get paid as well as their stud players wanting to get paid.  I dislike the Vikings a whole lot more than the 49ers .. period.  Persian, if I hurt your feelings or thoughts .. oh well .. I'd rather get after the Vikings anyway.

So, me not being an avid 49ers fan....but I still remember these.

Didn't they trade for Dee Ford?  And he was always injured.  Didn't matter, soon they were gifted Bosa.

It takes teams multiple years to recover from trading up to acquire a QB in the draft and having them fail.  49ers didn't skip a beat.

Good to great ILB's retire early?  No worries, here is a mid round stud.

Need a LT?  Well, here's one that hated his medical staff and you can have him for "checks notes" 3rd pound pick and 5'th round pick.   He's only made the Pro Bowl 4 times in his 4 years at a 49ers.  Oh and All Pro First Team for 3 of those years.  All while being traded at age 32.  (He's now 35, going on 36).

Telling yah, this team absolutely defies the odds.  

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, me not being an avid 49ers fan....but I still remember these.

Didn't they trade for Dee Ford?  And he was always injured.  Didn't matter, soon they were gifted Bosa.

It takes teams multiple years to recover from trading up to acquire a QB in the draft and having them fail.  49ers didn't skip a beat.

Good to great ILB's retire early?  No worries, here is a mid round stud.

Need a LT?  Well, here's one that hated his medical staff and you can have him for "checks notes" 3rd pound pick and 5'th round pick.   He's only made the Pro Bowl 4 times in his 4 years at a 49ers.  Oh and All Pro First Team for 3 of those years.  All while being traded at age 32.  (He's now 35, going on 36).

Telling yah, this team absolutely defies the odds.  

Incredibly lucky, but can't win the big one. Snagged Purdy....lol. He's topped out and they still haven't won the big one. 

It's like congratulating Rodgers on making it to the  NFCCG games only to sh** the bed.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Incredibly lucky, but can't win the big one. Snagged Purdy....lol. He's topped out and they still haven't won the big one. 

It's like congratulating Rodgers on making it to the  NFCCG games only to sh** the bed.  

I really can't believe how "anti" Brock Purdy this board can be.

The guy got to the NFL Championship game as a 7'th round rookie and was hurt early so the 49ers stood no chance.

Got the Super Bowl in year two and lost by 3 to KC.

I mean, he's legit for that team.  

It's not anti, it's the truth. He's just a 7th round pick surrounded by a LOT of talent. He's right there with Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer talent wise. If the Niners defense was a little better they might have won. But Purdy is NOT a difference maker.

The media blows him up because they love Mr. IRRELEVANT. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, persiandud said:

no. some takes are abhorrent and deserve ridicule, that was one of them. you gave a sensible opinion but stopped short of saying they're cooked, that guy straight up said they're done and finished. imagine thinking the team that has been to 2 SBs in 4 years, leads the league in EPA and YAC every year and has arguably the most complete roster in football is going to fall off a cliff. that dude needs to come back down to earth and moving forward I won't trust anything they say

that team is not going anywhere even when they pay Brock Purdy, same as we're not going anywhere when we pay Jordan Love. will they lose some players? sure, but they'll retool. we're going to lose some players too, we can't pay everybody. that's the nature of the business

some of the opinions in here regarding the Niners are disrespectful, and believe me I hate them more than any other team (I live in Cali and I loath their fanbase) but they're going to be a problem as long as Shanahan and Purdy are there. they have 2 valuable components to sustained success, the head coach and the QB

I hate to admit it but they're our daddy until we beat them in the postseason and get the monkey off our back. 

I don't see someone saying SF may not be the class of the NFC this year being especially abhorrent.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

It's not anti, it's the truth. He's just a 7th round pick surrounded by a LOT of talent. He's right there with Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer talent wise. If the Niners defense was a little better they might have won. But Purdy is NOT a difference maker.

The media blows him up because they love Mr. IRRELEVANT. 

He's not as good as the media paints him, but he's not as bad as you want to paint him either.  Purdy makes quick decisions, is generally accurate, and has a HC who is willing to play within Purdy's limitations.  That's more than can be said for half of the starting QB's in the league.  I wouldn't want Purdy as my QB in a bad weather playoff game, which could be a recurring problem for SF.  There's no doubt that SF views Purdy as their long-term QB, but I am curious how high they'll be willing to go on his next deal.

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

He's not as good as the media paints him, but he's not as bad as you want to paint him either.  Purdy makes quick decisions, is generally accurate, and has a HC who is willing to play within Purdy's limitations.  That's more than can be said for half of the starting QB's in the league.  I wouldn't want Purdy as my QB in a bad weather playoff game, which could be a recurring problem for SF.  There's no doubt that SF views Purdy as their long-term QB, but I am curious how high they'll be willing to go on his next deal.

I don’t paint him as bad, I’ve been disappointed in how good he’s been. Mainly his ability to see the field and also roll out and make the play when things go off script have been eye opening for his 1st and 2nd year. They really lucked out getting him when they did but then had the very wise evaluation to keep him in as QB3 on their 53. His preseason was good but plenty of guys have  flashes in late preseason games vs fourth stringers. Lynch and the front office get huge credit. He also came back from a significant injury to his throwing arm. I don’t question the guy’s grit and solid talent. I hope they pay him like he’s elite because he’s not is all I’m saying. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I have little doubt that the 49ers will have one really bad year in the next 3 years.  Bad enough to where they will have a high draft pick and the draft will conveniently gift them another Bosa type player.

This is a team that has a golden horseshoe lodged up their rear ends.

lol I literally had the same thought as I was typing that out. But an elite QB will continue to evade them