Playoffs! Rd. 1 -Green Bay at Dallas- House Money Game

Refugee

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Henry:  I'll accept whatever path Gute decides to take, they've earned it.  But I admit I'm not too motivated to add a Henry-in-his-30's to Jones-who'll-turn-30.  This is an all-young, all-energy team, I'd lean toward a younger pathway.  

Jones:  They love Jones, he's great in our system, and he's earned so much good-will within the fan-base and the organization.  He would be well-served to re-work deal and stay with Packers as long as he can.  He's got a chance to have a lifetime of commercials or media opportunities or whatever for decades.  And obviously a chance to be part of a really good offense with serious playoff possibilities next year and beyond.  So I assume he'll make it work so that he'll be back next year.  

Get that idea about the younger pathway.   Don't think that's wrong, especially with RB's that seem to fall off a cliff in their 30's.     Really good chance this is the way and I'd be proven wrong with what I'm about to say-

I'm less worried about the age of the RB's if just looking 1 season out and looking specifically at Henry for that 1 year.    He just came off a 17 game season and was really effective again.    My thought process there is it's easier to wholesale replace the RB room the following year since the ramp-up time for a RB is negligible.  It seems to be the easiest position to transition into a full-time role.  With the draft capital we have, bringing in Henry doesn't even preclude adding a young back in the 3rd/4th.   That could quickly be a room that's as deep and talented as any on the team.

If we were talking edge or d-line I think I'd rather have the younger guy to develop behind the vet for a year so they are ready to go year 2.

Probably all moot anyway as I'd be shocked at a $5mil valuation for Henry - think he'll sign a much bigger 1-2 yr deal.    Pricing probably says the younger pathway is the best option

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

Right.  Which is why pairing him with Aaron Jones could be deadly.  Limit the touches on each.  Both are running in our scheme, which is vastly different than being the only offensive threat for the Giants.

It's a pipe dream of mine.  I totally feel like we will draft a RB or two, but Barkley still has special ability.  

Here's a hot take:
packers would be better served getting a higher tier veteran WR or TE than a high tier RB.

Gimme the youngest freshest early down guy and save Jones for 3rd downs plus red zone.

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Estimates I've seen have Henry's cap hit next year around $5mil. That's palatable for sure.

If a choice was Dillon for 3/10 and Henry around 5 it's an absolute no-brainer.  I'd be really surprised if he signs a deal for that little even in this depressed RB pay market

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Here's a hot take:
packers would be better served getting a higher tier veteran WR or TE than a high tier RB.

Gimme the youngest freshest early down guy and save Jones for 3rd downs plus red zone.

I feel like that is a very cold take.

Case in point...our offense with Jones, versus without Jones.

Now...."gimme the youngest freshest early down guy and save Jones....".  I agree.  Keep him fresh.  Get another RB into the room that has similar traits.  I like the acceleration to the hole that Jones brings.  Vision as well.  I don't care much about long speed, but the ability to see it and get to it quickly is key.  Doesn't have to be a veteran FA, can certainly be a draft pick.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

...   My thought process there is it's easier to wholesale replace the RB room the following year since the ramp-up time for a RB is negligible.  It seems to be the easiest position to transition into a full-time role.  ...

For the running the ball component, agree. 

Blocking?  I wonder if that isn't less true for the pass-blocking?  Maybe it would be like with the WR, there'd be some issued in the first half; but by late season rookie WR would have figured things out and would be blocking with confidence and doing great? 

As you mentioned, the "old back" thing is very different if small-money for 1-year deal, versus multi-year commitment. 

Back to blocking:  Jones and Dillon are superb.  If Gute brings Dillon back on $10/3, I wouldn't complain at all.  

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...Get another RB into the room that has similar traits.  I like the acceleration to the hole that Jones brings.  Vision as well.  I don't care much about long speed, but the ability to see it and get to it quickly is key.  Doesn't have to be a veteran FA, can certainly be a draft pick.

I like this point.  No need to have "complementary backs", one quick and one big.  Having two quick and shifty guys would be just great.  Quickness to see and hit the hole is more important than size/power.  

I think Jones has done more than enough at this point for Gute to do whatever is needed to keep him on the roster for the next couple seasons.

Dillon is a great person, but I'll be surprised if he's a Packer next year.  He's just not the player GB thought he was.  TBH, I don't see much point in bringing Dillon back at any number.  Whether it's FA or rookie, the RB2 spot should be upgraded in the off-season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

If a choice was Dillon for 3/10 and Henry around 5 it's an absolute no-brainer.  I'd be really surprised if he signs a deal for that little even in this depressed RB pay market

I imagine the cap hits would be worse in subsequent years (and void years) to achieve a cheap year 1.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Here's a hot take:

Why would you want to take any of Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Dontavyion Wicks, Luke Musgrave or Tucker Kraft off the field for a high price FA ? 

RB is so much more obvious, the market is bad, so you could get a Josh Jacobs caliber player for 12m AAV, a Josh Jacobs caliber WR is going to be 20m+. Plus we actually need quality snaps there. Dillon is a FA, Jones is good for 15 touches a game long-term or he will break down. If we're dipping in the market at the skills, RB is obvious. 

• Like 4

I can see the allure of Henry paired with Jones for GB, but I'm not sure Henry is the type of RB that excels with a restricted/ shared workload.  He seems like a RB that thrives best with 20+ carries.

Pollard is a RB i think would be awesome.   He showed in 22 that he can be a dynamic player on 10-12 carries per game.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I can see the allure of Henry paired with Jones for GB, but I'm not sure Henry is the type of RB that excels with a restricted/ shared workload.  He seems like a RB that thrives best with 20+ carries.

Pollard is a RB i think would be awesome.   He showed in 22 that he can be a dynamic player on 10-12 carries per game.

Attempts

CATEGORY ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD

Attempts 1-through-10 170 758 4.5 63 9 41

Attempts 11-through-20 100 374 3.7 69 3 20

Attempts 21-through-30 10 35 3.5 16 0 2

Looks like he's most effective in his first 10 carries of a game this year 

Edit:

2022 splits:

ATEGORY ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD

Attempts 1-through-10 160 743 4.6 56 8 30

Attempts 11-through-20 134 559 4.2 29 3 22

Attempts 21-through-30 53 235 4.4 21 213

Edited by incognito_man

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Attempts

CATEGORY ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD

Attempts 1-through-10 170 758 4.5 63 9 41

Attempts 11-through-20 100 374 3.7 69 3 20

Attempts 21-through-30 10 35 3.5 16 0 2

Looks like he's most effective in his first 10 carries of a game this year 

Edit:

2022 splits:

ATEGORY ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD

Attempts 1-through-10 160 743 4.6 56 8 30

Attempts 11-through-20 134 559 4.2 29 3 22

Attempts 21-through-30 53 235 4.4 21 213

Scroll down to career advaced splits

1st Q-- 487 carries // 1776 yards // 3.6 ypc

2nd Q -- 497 // 2706 // 5.4

3rd Q -- 511 // 2550 // 5.0

4th Q -- 510 // 2385 // 4.7

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HenrDe00/splits/

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would you want to take any of Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Dontavyion Wicks, Luke Musgrave or Tucker Kraft off the field for a high price FA ? 

RB is so much more obvious, the market is bad, so you could get a Josh Jacobs caliber player for 12m AAV, a Josh Jacobs caliber WR is going to be 20m+. Plus we actually need quality snaps there. Dillon is a FA, Jones is good for 15 touches a game long-term or he will break down. If we're dipping in the market at the skills, RB is obvious. 

Do we need this kind of guy for this offense? Not a dig, a question. There always seems to be depth at the RB position on the free agent market because teams don't want to pay them.