Will Andre Johnson make the HOF?

UKTexans

Is Andre Johnson worthy of the HOF?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Andre Johnson worthy of the HOF?

• Absolutely
    • Hall of very Good
    • Not even close

On 7/28/2017 at 11:07 AM, Danger said:

No. He did have individual success, but his team never amounted to much and hence he was never in the limelight. He doesn't stick out when looking back. Great player, no doubt.

If there was a fan vote behind it, I could agree. The guys who make up the voters all know Andre and his exploits with the lack of talent all around him at various points (the QB carousel, lack of stability at RB until Arian Foster arrived, the OL issues, etc).

John McClain is on the HOF voting board, and he's all but guaranteed that Andre Johnson is getting in the hall. He's probably been priming this discussion since 2010.

Here's the full list of players with 3 or more 1500 yard receiving years: 

Jerry Rice (x4)
Marvin Harrison (x3)
Andre Johnson (x3)

Stats like that will help him tremendously. So will his all-star QB crew (only Texans starters): 

David Carr
Tony Banks
Matt Schaub
Sage Rosenfels
TJ Yates
Matt Leinart
Case Keenum
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Ryan Mallett

^Despite his quarterbacks, he had a phenomenal career. You look at some of the other great receivers of his era, and their quarterbacks were far better: 

Jerry Rice (Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Rich Gannon)
Terrell Owens (Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo)
Randy Moss (Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Tom Brady)
Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne (Peyton Manning)

He also had more Pro Bowl appearances than Moss/Owens/Wayne. 

So undoubtedly, in my mind, he'll get in. As others said it will take a while, which is a shame. To me he's a guy that should be first or second ballot, but because others weren't (that also deserved to be), he'll be waiting a while. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 1:21 PM, skywlker32 said:

I get that you are listing potential people, but I don't think Ward, Wayne, Boldin or Marshall have great chances at getting in. TO, Moss, CJ, Fitz and Smith likely get in (in my opinion) and I don't see a receiver getting in each year, which could make it difficult. Andre's chances are going to be largely dependent on how much of a backlog there will be.

Some other likely HOF possibilities include Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

Brandon Marshall has work to do, and was a troublemaker often in his career. Calvin Johnson may be coming back to the NFL, so that's going to push back his date. Hines Ward had strong support in his first year of eligibility, so I see him inducted sometime over the next several years. Ward was a pioneer in the way his blocking prowess at the WR position influenced football, and that's just a portion of his case.

Andre Johnson will get elected, overcoming mediocre QB play. Since he had the disadvantage of playing for an expansion team, we can't hold the lack of a SB ring against him. Steve Largent had the same issue, his teams only made one AFC TG appearance.

On a side note, is Calvin Johnson a HOF'er? He was certainly HOF caliber and talent, but I just don't think a guy that calls it quits early in his 30s and didn't even play a decade deserves warrant for consideration. Longevity and passion matters here...

9 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

On a side note, is Calvin Johnson a HOF'er? He was certainly HOF caliber and talent, but I just don't think a guy that calls it quits early in his 30s and didn't even play a decade deserves warrant for consideration. Longevity and passion matters here...

Pure dominance also factors into it. He was consistently great, and his 2012 season was nothing short of amazing. He was simply unstoppable during his run.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:21 PM, skywlker32 said:

I get that you are listing potential people, but I don't think Ward, Wayne, Boldin or Marshall have great chances at getting in. TO, Moss, CJ, Fitz and Smith likely get in (in my opinion) and I don't see a receiver getting in each year, which could make it difficult. Andre's chances are going to be largely dependent on how much of a backlog there will be.

Some other likely HOF possibilities include Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

What you need to consider, though, with these two, are not only their regular season 'stats', but other considerations as well. Both were 2nd Team All Pros for 3 years (I know, nobody wants to admit that Ward was consider one of the top WRs in the league at any point in his career, but you don't earn a 2nd Team All Pro unless you were at least Top 5, if not top 3). Plus, both are ranked very high in Total Playoff Rec/Yds/TDs. Plus, Ward has the SB MVP. 

I'm not saying they are going to make it, but Ward was a Semi-Finalist (Top 26) in his 1st Year of eligibility, which is at worst, a sign that he's receiving serious consideration. So to include his name above is not out of line as a possibility to get in; they will look at his achievements based against those during his era, and he's definitely worthy of consideration, ALL things considered, not just the simple test that gets thrown around these forums..."but, he never led the league in X, and was never consider the best at his position, so he can't ever be a HOF player...only a Hall of Very Good player because nothing else matters but those two metrics..." which is a load of horse dung...

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

What you need to consider, though, with these two, are not only their regular season 'stats', but other considerations as well. Both were 2nd Team All Pros for 3 years (I know, nobody wants to admit that Ward was consider one of the top WRs in the league at any point in his career, but you don't earn a 2nd Team All Pro unless you were at least Top 5, if not top 3). Plus, both are ranked very high in Total Playoff Rec/Yds/TDs. Plus, Ward has the SB MVP. 

I'm not saying they are going to make it, but Ward was a Semi-Finalist (Top 26) in his 1st Year of eligibility, which is at worst, a sign that he's receiving serious consideration. So to include his name above is not out of line as a possibility to get in; they will look at his achievements based against those during his era, and he's definitely worthy of consideration, ALL things considered, not just the simple test that gets thrown around these forums..."but, he never led the league in X, and was never consider the best at his position, so he can't ever be a HOF player...only a Hall of Very Good player because nothing else matters but those two metrics..." which is a load of horse dung...

Good points, and we have have to factor in the scarcity of cold weather receivers in the HOF. It's simply more difficult to catch the ball when you're dealing with colder weather, along with rain and snow. If Ward had played indoors, or in a better climate, there's no doubt his numbers would have improved. I think Ward's strong showing in his first year of eligibility also reflects how he changed the game with blocking excellence from the WR position during his era. If you followed football closely at all levels during the 2000s, blocking from the WR position became more noticed and valuable.

Ward's biggest problem is one of perception, not reality. He was a blue-collar receiver in an era when fantasy football became popular and baseball's sabermetric approach began seeping into football. Winning has become devalued in the eyes of some, with "luck" being used to describe the outcome of games.

The HOF is definitely going to happen with Ward, but could take several years or more because of the competition. 

20 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If he'd been a part of a Super Bowl team, he'd be closer, but I don't think he'll get in for a long time if at all. 

I think the voters will cut him some slack for playing nearly all of his career with a newer franchise. David Carr was a bust, and the other Texan QBs weren't special, either. Pass defenses were able to key in on Johnson, and he still produced at a high level. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed he had 70 TDs.  For how absolutely dominant he was, I remember he was allergic to the endzone.  I remember him always getting tackled 5-10 yards from the endzone.  For his size and body control, I never understood why he didn't get more looks in the redzone.  If I remember correctly, the best QB he ever had was Schaub.  It's too bad we never got to see him with a real QB.  

Ultimately, I think he is fringe and I'm leaning more towards no.

Archived