2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The rest does matter because it is easy to just say draft a QB, say they do not turn out, then they are really in the crap considering what happened this past season at the QB position.  

Unless the Vikings think they can get a stop gap or vet potentially in Sam Darnold, Jake Browning, Mason Rudolph etc.  Maybe Carson Wentz, or Gardner Minshew but really those two are out because the Vikings do not run a lot of RPO.  I would not hate bringing in Sam Darnold and he might have the most upside out of those QBs and he is still only 26.

Either way QB is still a massive issue even if they draft a rookie at what I assume to be #11 overall they still need a backup that does not totally suck.  

If the Vikings got somewhere else than QB with those first two picks and wait for one to fall these would be the guys to target.   However Pratt and Travis are probably gone by the 2nd and 3rd round, same with Hartman and Rattler maybe even.  

Michael Pratt Tulane JR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS

Then one has Joe Milton III and Taulia Tagovailoa, Milton probably too raw and developmental honestly, especially in this offense. Taulia would be interesting no question and could be around in the 4th maybe.  

I wasn't even considering QB. Either they draft one and sign a stop gap, or sign Kirk. That's just a given. 

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Hunter and Woonum are my top priorities. Then Risner. I'm not certain the rest matter as much. 

Powell would be good to keep, he seems to be ascending. he'll doubtfully ever be a real difference maker, but you have to have depth too.

• Like 1

I guess I’ve never understood the whole idea behind signing a journeyman QB, at best, for a young QB to sit behind. What are they expected to learn? 

It just takes snaps and practice away from the young QB. 

Edited by SemperFeist

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I’ve never understood the whole idea behind signing a journeyman QB, at best, for a young QB to sit behind. What are they expected to learn? 

i remember the NYG doing it with Warner when they drafted Eli Manning.

Touchdown Ravens
(14:28) (Shotgun) L.Jackson pass short middle to I.Likely for 15 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
2nd & 1 at HOU 15

beginning of the 4th quarter, Ravens pulling away at 23-10.
Ravens have gained 143 yards and two consecutive TD's, HOU gained 27 yards and punted in between them.

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You've never been mentored? You don't think having someone with experience to talk to a player helps?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Given the dead cap on Cousins’ contract, if they do move on from him and draft a QB, I don’t think you’re going to see them sign a stop-gap QB. 

But what if they move on from Kirk, and don’t get a QB-ready to start in the draft (non worthy of #11, and don’t trade down), like take one in the 2nd or 3rd. Under that realistic scenario, a cheap stop gap QB signed after the draft is possible

37 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i remember the NYG doing it with Warner when they drafted Eli Manning.

And they benched Warner halfway through the season. 

Signing someone who isn’t good enough to be a starter to start over a QB who was drafted to be the starting QB just seems like a waste of time and resources. 

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s why they employ a QB coach. 

It's not even close to the same thing as having a player there with you during a game. We'll disagree here. I'm not suggesting that guy start.... Not if they take a guy in round one. 

Edited by PrplChilPill

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

But what if they move on from Kirk, and don’t get a QB-ready to start in the draft (non worthy of #11, and don’t trade down), like take one in the 2nd or 3rd. Under that realistic scenario, a cheap stop gap QB signed after the draft is possible

The Vikings need to acquire a draft pick that assures them a top QB, or they need to re-sign Cousins before March 13th. 

If they enter the new league year with the starting QB spot in limbo, everyone in the front office should be fired.

Edited by SemperFeist

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And they benched Warner halfway through the season. 

Signing someone who isn’t good enough to be a starter to start over a QB who was drafted to be the starting QB just seems like a waste of time and resources. 

I'd rather not force a QB to play week 1 if they are not ready.  If they can beat out a veteran week 1 great, but it's not like they won't be improving on things if they start out on the bench

• Like 1