2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine in having a few down years if there were a guarantee that they'd be great for a little while.  But, I see far too many examples of teams that are continually at the top of the draft...and that's because once you start losing, you have a tremendous tendency to stay there. 

I'd rather go the route of the Chiefs, who truly haven't been bad all that often (outside of right before Reid got there) and just happened to identify the QB they needed to ride them for the next decade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt it happens, but what do you guys think?

(I don't think this is a reputable source either)

Why would Barkley come to a team that has a bad running game scheme from a coach who will turn away from the run even if...miracle of miracles...it's being productive. O'Connell would decrease Barkley's production by half.  No way he would come to Minnesota. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duluther said:

Crazy how much our roster makeup is starting to resemble the early 00's Vikings.

2000's?  Daunte Culpepper was the QB then and obviously at the time was a fresh face young guy with promise and potential.

The Vikings do not have a promising talented young QB on the roster currently so not sure how that is similar.  And they do not have two Hall of Fame WRs on the roster either, one being a vet and the other being a young up and comer.  Sure Jefferson is the young up and coming but no vet and Jefferson is not under contract yet long term either.

The only one thing that is similar with both rosters is both have issues at CB and how to solve those issues is a problem.  

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Losing in order to win has always been a very odd concept to me. 

It is not about losing in order to win, it is about the fact is it worth paying a quarterback millions of dollars when you could fill 2-3 roster spots with that guys one contract and do so well if you are smart in who to sign and where.  If the Vikings have not won big with Kirk Cousins the entire time he has been here, why would they all of a sudden win if they sign him for another three to four years? 

They are not that damn close to a Super Bowl in terms of the roster so why pay him big time bucks as if they are?  Just to be competitive then lose in the 1st round of the playoffs?  No thank you.  Could be time to freaking move on.  I am not a fan of just paying him because he is average and a solid starter, they clearly need way beyond that to win with the current roster.  

If the Vikings plan is to pay Kirk Cousins and Justin Jefferson for that matter a combined $60-$70 million yearly, not sure there will be many playoff wins following that move.  Because Kirk Cousins especially is not this top 5 QB in the NFL and WR is yeah a WR and clearly over the past 20 years or so no team has really won big only with a great WR and slightly above average QB.

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The only one thing that is similar with both rosters is both have issues at CB and how to solve those issues is a problem.  

We are about to pay the league’s best WR and have a roster of no names, particularly on defense. And we are destined to have a bad roster makeup regarding the offensive running game.

20 minutes ago, Duluther said:

We are about to pay the league’s best WR and have a roster of no names, particularly on defense. And we are destined to have a bad roster makeup regarding the offensive running game.

Well not specifically the 2000 season where Robert Smith had 1500 yards rushing.  So basically it is 2001 and back a few years.  The the sudden retirement of Robert Smith and the tragic death of Korey Stringer who became a Pro bowl level RT and was poised to continue to be one going into 2001 season.  That is why that roster did not workout offensively and in the run game.

Would have been really curious if Stringer never passed away and Smith never retired.  Michael Bennett was a total dog pile as a running back and was the downfall of that running game, dude was only straight line and his vision was pretty bad along with his inability to break tackles.  The OL was fine and had Birk who is a boarderline Hall of Fame center, Dixon was not terrible either and solid backup guards but the tackles after 2000 were an issue with Stringers death and Steussie gone, that was a major problem.

Chris Hovan never developing into Randle's replacement was a pretty big issue as well, he was a disappointment as a player that is for sure.  Not to mention Underwood in 1999 and he was also a 1st round pick.  That is a pretty big hit to the roster for sure.  

Just think if Deuce McAllister fell to them in the 1st round and they took him instead of Bennett where that offense would have been....

56 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't remember him playing on a 3-4 defense...and there is no way the Vikings can afford him...but, how cool would it be to have Chris Jones playing for Flores?!?!

The Chiefs ran a 3-4 defense when they drafted Jones. But I wouldn’t worry about 3-4 vs 4-3, the Vikings don’t really run either that strictly. Jones would fit in Flores’ defense just fine. 

That said, if the price point was the same, I’d rather spend the money on Jones than on Hunter. From a pure on field talent perspective. 

But imagine if Spielman had drafted Jones instead of Treadwell? 😂 

Edited by SemperFeist

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Chiefs ran a 3-4 defense when they drafted Jones. But I wouldn’t worry about 3-4 vs 4-3, the Vikings don’t really run either that strictly. Jones would fit in Flores’ defense just fine. 

That said, if the price point was the same, I’d rather spend the money on Jones than on Hunter. From a pure on field talent perspective. 

But imagine if Spielman had drafted Jones instead of Treadwell? 😂 

Somewhat ironically, Chris Jones was the pick that the Chiefs got from the 49ers when the 49ers traded back into the 1st to get that bust, Josh Garnett. 

Not exactly a free agent but if the Patriots move on from Mac Jones i'd be interested in bringing him in on a cheap contract to be our QB2

he's worked with poor coaching and talent the last couple of years and is still young