2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

43 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I get the enchantment with bringing in Winfield. I wouldn't be upset if they did. It's just very far down the list of moves I'd make first. 

i know. it's just that time of year when you throw darts at the wall and talk about how they stuck.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Why? What possible sense would it make to sign a safety and then release a cornerback?

Like I said, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere but  I would be ok with if they felt like he could improve the nickel corner.  If they wouldn't trust him in that role I wouldn't even consider it

The Top 5 Realistic Free Agent Targets for Vikings

So, with “legal tampering” on the docket for March 11th, these are five players for the Vikings to target. They’re ranked in ascending order (No. 1 = best possible free agent).

Note: The list accounts for realism, not every expensive Pro Bowl free agent available.

5. Chidobe Awuzie (CB) Cincinnati Bengals
Awuzie produced a decent 62.6 Pro Football Focus grade in 2023 and will now hit free agency in March, assuming the Bengals don’t re-sign him. He was 2nd-Round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 2017.

Minnesota must decide if its current conglomeration of cornerbacks will do the trick next season: Byron Murphy Jr., Akayleb Evans, Andrew Booth, and Mekhi Blackmon. If the answer is no, the Vikings should explore a veteran for depth like Awuzie if the L’Jarius Sneeds are unavailable on the open market.

4. Rashid Shaheed (WR) New Orleans Saints
An All-Pro and Pro Bowl punt returner, too, Shaheed’s speed and gadget-style skillset would fit wonderfully in Kevin O’Connell’s offense, especially with T.J. Hockenson presumably on tap to miss some of 2024. Rasheed tabulated 719 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns last season, a perfect statline for a WR3. And he’ll be affordable in free agency.

He’d fit well in Minnesota’s aerial attack and should cost about $2 million per season.

3. D’Andre Swift (RB) Philadelphia Eagles
Alexander Mattison, Ty Chandler, Kene Nwangwu, Myles Gaskin, and DeWayne McBride are under contract in 2023, but no one expects the Vikings to roll into 2024 with that exact fivesome. Minnesota’s ground game struggled profusely last season and desperately needs repair.

Swift has logged 1,263 yards from scrimmage this season and 4.7 yards per touch. Sign him up. He should be gettable in free agency for $6-$7 million per year. The Eagle turned 25 in January.

2. Maurice Hurst (DT) Cleveland Browns
Like Shaheed above, Hurst will be affordable. He played 39% of all Cleveland Browns defensive snaps in 2023 and fired up an 81.0 PFF grade. The man deserves to start somewhere.

Hurst also has ties to the San Francisco 49ers, making that two former organizations of which general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was once employed. The veteran defensive tackle will turn 29 in May.

Of course, Minnesota could shoot for the stars and pursue a DT solution like Christian Wilkins from the Miami Dolphins, but that will utterly break the bank.

1. Bryce Huff (OLB) New York Jets
This 25-year-old has posted 8 sacks in 16 games as a reservist player for the New York Jets in 2023. Examining his free agency, he’s similar to Harrison Phillips in 2022 — a high-end backup waiting for his opportunity to start somewhere.

That could be the Vikings, a team only showcasing Patrick Jones and Andre Carter as EDGE rushers under contract in 2024. Huff posted a 79.7 PFF grade last season, seeing action on 480 defensive snaps.

He and Danielle Hunter — hopefully the Vikings re-sign him — could formulate a fearsome pass-rushing duo in 2024.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/the-top-5-realistic?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Top 5 Realistic Free Agent Targets for Vikings

So, with “legal tampering” on the docket for March 11th, these are five players for the Vikings to target. They’re ranked in ascending order (No. 1 = best possible free agent).

Note: The list accounts for realism, not every expensive Pro Bowl free agent available.

5. Chidobe Awuzie (CB) Cincinnati Bengals
Awuzie produced a decent 62.6 Pro Football Focus grade in 2023 and will now hit free agency in March, assuming the Bengals don’t re-sign him. He was 2nd-Round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 2017.

Minnesota must decide if its current conglomeration of cornerbacks will do the trick next season: Byron Murphy Jr., Akayleb Evans, Andrew Booth, and Mekhi Blackmon. If the answer is no, the Vikings should explore a veteran for depth like Awuzie if the L’Jarius Sneeds are unavailable on the open market.

4. Rashid Shaheed (WR) New Orleans Saints
An All-Pro and Pro Bowl punt returner, too, Shaheed’s speed and gadget-style skillset would fit wonderfully in Kevin O’Connell’s offense, especially with T.J. Hockenson presumably on tap to miss some of 2024. Rasheed tabulated 719 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns last season, a perfect statline for a WR3. And he’ll be affordable in free agency.

He’d fit well in Minnesota’s aerial attack and should cost about $2 million per season.

3. D’Andre Swift (RB) Philadelphia Eagles
Alexander Mattison, Ty Chandler, Kene Nwangwu, Myles Gaskin, and DeWayne McBride are under contract in 2023, but no one expects the Vikings to roll into 2024 with that exact fivesome. Minnesota’s ground game struggled profusely last season and desperately needs repair.

Swift has logged 1,263 yards from scrimmage this season and 4.7 yards per touch. Sign him up. He should be gettable in free agency for $6-$7 million per year. The Eagle turned 25 in January.

2. Maurice Hurst (DT) Cleveland Browns
Like Shaheed above, Hurst will be affordable. He played 39% of all Cleveland Browns defensive snaps in 2023 and fired up an 81.0 PFF grade. The man deserves to start somewhere.

Hurst also has ties to the San Francisco 49ers, making that two former organizations of which general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was once employed. The veteran defensive tackle will turn 29 in May.

Of course, Minnesota could shoot for the stars and pursue a DT solution like Christian Wilkins from the Miami Dolphins, but that will utterly break the bank.

1. Bryce Huff (OLB) New York Jets
This 25-year-old has posted 8 sacks in 16 games as a reservist player for the New York Jets in 2023. Examining his free agency, he’s similar to Harrison Phillips in 2022 — a high-end backup waiting for his opportunity to start somewhere.

That could be the Vikings, a team only showcasing Patrick Jones and Andre Carter as EDGE rushers under contract in 2024. Huff posted a 79.7 PFF grade last season, seeing action on 480 defensive snaps.

He and Danielle Hunter — hopefully the Vikings re-sign him — could formulate a fearsome pass-rushing duo in 2024.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/the-top-5-realistic?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I am behind the idea of targeting Swift and Hurst.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Davenport was a difference maker when he was on the field. Not sure why people would be opposed to having him back, especially since it’ll probably save cap space. 

He was on the field? Every dollar spent on a guy that never plays is a dollar not spent on one who does. 

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Davenport was a difference maker when he was on the field. Not sure why people would be opposed to having him back, especially since it’ll probably save cap space. 

It would save cap space this year only because it would eat up additional cap space in future years. If he isn't worth what he wants to be paid it would be short-sighted to pay him to save cap space this year. There are better ways to save cap space this year.

If he would come back for a deal that is mostly based on incentives and bonuses per game he is one of the active players, sure, I would be willing to use a roster spot for him. I would not give him a deal that would pay him $10M+ this year if he only suits up for four games again even though that could save cap space this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If you bring back Davenport, it pretty much guarantees that one of Hunter or Wonnum are gone, right?

No...but Hunter is probably gone regardless.  My money is on Wonnum returning.  I'm with Semper on this one.  His dead money on this year's cap right now would be $6.8M.  That's basically pocket change.  Any cap hit in subsequent years really shouldn't be a huge factor in anyone's minds...Dalvin Cook still has a $3M dead money count on the Vikings' cap this year...do we really care about that?   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Buccaneers are expected to use the franchise tag on Winfield, if they use it this year. That means they won’t use it on quarterback Baker Mayfield.

That means Mayfield will become an unrestricted free agent.

That makes things very interesting. Mayfield resurrected his career in Tampa last season. (He was my first choice for comeback player of the year.) He led the Bucs to the playoffs. Unless Tampa Bay gets him signed in the next few weeks, he can go anywhere he wants.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-bucs-likely-to-use-franchise-tag-on-antoine-winfield-jr-not-baker-mayfield

• Like 1