Re-sign Dalton Risner
Re-sign DJ Wonnum
Sign DT Christian Wilkins
Trade down from 11 and recoup 3rd rounder
Draft C Jackson Powers-Johnson
Draft NT T’Vondre Sweat
Harrison Smith retires or cut post June 1
Garrett Bradbury cut post June 1

that's certainly one of the top options too.

what's that plan's plan for eventual QB?

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it's amazing how little Minshew is paid.

only 5 mil this season.

When your signed “expecting to be” the backup QB $5-6M is fair. If your signing to a team without a starting QB and no high draft pick, and the transaction takes place in March, you can get an 8-figure salary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Extend Kirk Cousins
Extend Danielle Hunter
Extend Justin Jefferson
Re-sign Dalton Risner
Re-sign DJ Wonnum
Sign DT Christian Wilkins
Trade down from 11 and recoup 3rd rounder
Draft C Jackson Powers-Johnson
Draft NT T’Vondre Sweat
Harrison Smith retires or cut post June 1
Garrett Bradbury cut post June 1

What’s the highest 2-year deal, 100% guaranteed with a NTC would you do for Cousins (3 void years on the end for cap), signed early where the $28M on the books can be pushed into the future

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

When your signed “expecting to be” the backup QB $5-6M is fair. If your signing to a team without a starting QB and no high draft pick, and the transaction takes place in March, you can get an 8-figure salary. 

Minshew signed with the Colts when they didn’t have any QB on the roster. He still got $5M. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

What’s the highest 2-year deal, 100% guaranteed with a NTC would you do for Cousins (3 void years on the end for cap), signed early where the $28M on the books can be pushed into the future

2 years, $75M

47 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Minshew signed with the Colts when they didn’t have any QB on the roster. He still got $5M. 

2 years, $75M

I said if the team does not have a high draft pick … colts had #4 pick and expected to take QB in the draft to be the starter. that’s partially why he was offered $5M from them. 

In that vein, less than a month before the action begins at the NFL Scouting Combine, let’s take a look at some free-agent options. These eight players all reside in the upper tier of players at their position — and most are defenders.

Here’s why they make sense as potential signings if the Vikings decide to take a swing:

Christian Wilkins, DT, Miami Dolphins

Chase Young, edge, San Francisco 49ers

Patrick Queen, LB, Baltimore Ravens

Frankie Luvu, LB, Carolina Panthers

D.J. Reader, DT, Cincinnati Bengals

Jonathan Greenard, edge, Houston Texans

Saquon Barkley, RB, New York Giants

Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Cincinnati Bengals

https://theathletic.com/5253072/2024/02/06/vikings-free-agency-preview/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 1

Is the cost savings between signing a Minshew level QB vs bringing back Kirk really worth it? Like what would the savings bring to the team in terms of FAs? Another Davenport? 

still could go QB at 11 even if Cousins is brought back. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt it happens, but what do you guys think?

(I don't think this is a reputable source either)

If you could get him at a reasonable cost, sure, I'd do it.  But, I don't think he's going to want just a reasonable cost.  His market value is around $10M, but I'd only consider him if he can be had for about $7M.  I think he could make KOC's running attack better.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 8:32 AM, vike daddy said:

A new working theory suggests Dalton Risner could dart for a big payday on the open free agent market, perhaps making his stint in Minnesota a one-year gig.

To continue Risner’s stint in purple general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah might have to dust off the checkbook. Risner’s price in 2023 was affordable, likely because the regular season was in full swing when signed on the Vikings’ dotted line. Now, Risner could chase the cash, according to former Viking Jeremiah Sirles.

“I think he played well enough; he’s going to want a bigger contract,” Sirles said on the Purple Insider podcast this week. Sirles also hinted that Adofo-Mensah may not offer such a contract because Minnesota has other roster matters to rectify.

Earlier this month, Pro Football Focus arrived at a similar conclusion regarding Risner. PFF’s Brad Spielberger projected Risner fetching a three-year deal worth a total of $24 million and $15 million in guarantees, a pricetag a bit higher than most Vikings fans have in mind. The hypothetical deal from PFF would make Risner the NFL’s eighth-highest-paid left guard.

Risner can still be considered a reasonable option to return in Minnesota for a sequel, but it’s not as ironclad as a few weeks ago. Because he was affordable and available last September doesn’t mean he’ll always be a discount guy.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/the-risner?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

That is a concern, because say Risner is leaving and really he is good and should be paid.  But say he is out the Vikings have zero really solid option at that OG spot.  Sure Brandel could maybe do it but long term not sure he is the option and he has been nothing great when he has got playing time.  Either way if Risner is gone the Vikings would have to no question address OG in the 2nd round most likely and could get decent quality there.  

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt it happens, but what do you guys think?

(I don't think this is a reputable source either)

I don't think they could afford Barkley but sure would be cool.  Not sure it is a reality though, and his injury history is a concern as well.  That would be hard to deal with and like McCaffrey, Barkley is a duel threat who can catch the ball very well out of the backfield which adds greatly to his value.  

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, vikingsrule said:

Is the cost savings between signing a Minshew level QB vs bringing back Kirk really worth it? Like what would the savings bring to the team in terms of FAs? Another Davenport? 

still could go QB at 11 even if Cousins is brought back. 

Very true, but ultimately we already paid Cousins much of his $231 million in career earnings so far.  Was that worth it to have a slightly above average QB that has really had no real long term playoff success?  I would say no it is not worth it to just be average at that price.  

I would rather win big then be bad a few years than be average throughout.  Now if the Vikings are right on the edge of being Super Bowl contenders sure, but no way is that the case right now with or without Kirk Cousins.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Was that worth it to have a slightly above average QB that has really had no real long term playoff success?

Yes.  It wasn't his fault, nor his contract that prevented them from winning in the playoffs.  But, I'm not going to go any further in

tenor.gif

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes.  It wasn't his fault, nor his contract that prevented them from winning in the playoffs.  But, I'm not going to go any further in

tenor.gif

Oh ha ha funny you watch South Park, yay, clearly you are fine being average for awhile instead of great for a little. 

I would rather be great for a little in terms of following a sports team.  Give me a title and I will be more than fine with multiple losing rebuilding years.  Thus what is the point paying that guy money like that to be average and when it comes down to it, lose.  50-37-1 Vikings career record for Kirk, above .500 sure but that is pretty average record and in terms of the other greats that have got paid what he has got paid.

Phillip Rivers was a loser as a QB in terms of the greats, never really got that far but at least he was 5-7 career playoff record, his career earnings was $243 million.  Kirk being 1-4 on the other hand.