2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Then, we need a #3 receiver and #4 receiver unless we see Nailor taking over one of those spots. Osborn and Powell are free agents.

Should we try to re-sign one, or both?

I can’t imagine either will be overly expensive, but I’d like to see them bring back Powell for sure. 

• Like 1

Despite receiving ample opportunities during the 2023 season, KJ Osborn failed to deliver consistent production. He finished the season with 48 receptions for 540 yards and three touchdowns per Pro Football Reference. One area of concern with Osborn is his inconsistent hands. Throughout the season, he had several drops that stalled drives and cost the Vikings valuable yardage. According to PFF, the fourth-year wide receiver was credited with seven drops in 2023, which led the team. 

Allowing Osborn to walk in free agency opens up the opportunity for the Vikings to explore other options. With a deep pool of talent available in free agency, the team can target receivers who bring more to the table than Osborn currently does.

According to Spotrac, couple options with similar market value are wide receivers Tyler Boyd and Josh Reynolds. Both of these receivers have been reliable targets for their respective teams. Adding either of these weapons would bolster the Vikings receiving core. This potential upgrade would provide the Vikings with a chance to give their offense an added boost.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/opinion/vikings-k-j-osborn/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

don't know if either of those receivers would be better....

34 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Despite receiving ample opportunities during the 2023 season, KJ Osborn failed to deliver consistent production. He finished the season with 48 receptions for 540 yards and three touchdowns per Pro Football Reference. One area of concern with Osborn is his inconsistent hands. Throughout the season, he had several drops that stalled drives and cost the Vikings valuable yardage. According to PFF, the fourth-year wide receiver was credited with seven drops in 2023, which led the team. 

Allowing Osborn to walk in free agency opens up the opportunity for the Vikings to explore other options. With a deep pool of talent available in free agency, the team can target receivers who bring more to the table than Osborn currently does.

According to Spotrac, couple options with similar market value are wide receivers Tyler Boyd and Josh Reynolds. Both of these receivers have been reliable targets for their respective teams. Adding either of these weapons would bolster the Vikings receiving core. This potential upgrade would provide the Vikings with a chance to give their offense an added boost.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/opinion/vikings-k-j-osborn/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

don't know if either of those receivers would be better....

I think they have to decide what is more important for their offense, TE2 or WR3. Can’t really pay a lot for both. Would prefer to grab a WR in the draft to replace Osborn buts it isn’t a big priority. 

• Like 3

I'm fully under the assumption that they're going to let Osborn walk and bring back Powell...and then draft another receiver.  I don't see much reason to bring in a FA WR unless it's really on the cheap, like a Donovan Peoples-Jones or Ray-Ray McCloud. 

• Like 8

Vikings players currently set to become Unrestricted Free Agents in March (according to spotrac):

Kirk Cousins QB
Joshua Dobbs QB

Dalton Risner G
Chris Reed G
Austin Schlottmann G
Oli Udoh T
David Quessenberry RT

Johnny Mundt TE
Ben Ellefson TE
Brandon Powell WR
K.J. Osborn WR

Danielle Hunter OLB
Anthony Barr OLB
Jordan Hicks ILB
Troy Dye LB

D.J. Wonnum DE
Jonathan Bullard DE

James Lynch DT

John Reid CB

Greg Joseph K

BleedingPurple.com

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings players currently set to become Unrestricted Free Agents in March (according to spotrac):

Kirk Cousins QB
Joshua Dobbs QB

Dalton Risner G
Chris Reed G
Austin Schlottmann G
Oli Udoh T
David Quessenberry RT

Johnny Mundt TE
Ben Ellefson TE
Brandon Powell WR
K.J. Osborn WR

Danielle Hunter OLB
Anthony Barr OLB
Jordan Hicks ILB
Troy Dye LB

D.J. Wonnum DE
Jonathan Bullard DE

James Lynch DT

John Reid CB

Greg Joseph K

BleedingPurple.com

Cousins, Risner, Powell, Hicks, Hunter and Wonnum would be nice to bring back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Hunter
Risner
Powell
Wonnum
Bullard
Quessenberry

These are the ones I’d be re-signing. 

I would not mind that, Risner would love to keep considering the massive issues they have had in the interior recently, apparently he did not allow a sack with his time with the Vikings which is impressive.  

If they do go with this money needs to be spent to find either a CB, DL or LB in free agency.  

Keisan Nixon I would not mind paying but sure his price is going to go way up with his versality and ability to be a physical slot.  Sean Murphy-Bunting might be able to get cheaply and he has solid ball skills and versatility as well.  Jerry Jacobs I would love to pickup but doubt the Lions let him go even with the injury this past season, dude has ball skills and is tough.  Jaylon Johnson I assume will be poised to get the most money out of any free agent CB in 2024.

Michael Hoecht I would not mind getting and putting him on the edge, dude is a freak show athlete for 310 but I am sure the Rams will pay up for him.  Not sure the Vikings can afford any top of the line DT so drafting one might be the better option.  If they are looking for a promising guy who could be cheap I would not mind Neville Gallimore.  Madubuike is going to get paid a ton, should get $15 mil or more with how great he has been and Wilkins should get a lot more than he has been also.  

Losing Hicks and his versatility would be a kick in the ***, not sure they can do without him, such a versatile LB would love to keep him.  Devin Bush could be cheap but not sure he is worth it, was super talented coming into the league and had a few great years on Pittsburgh.  Nate Landman had a great year on Atlanta and he could be available since they already have two ILBs, but sure he will command a few million more than what he got this past year which was nothing.  

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Hunter and Woonum are my top priorities. Then Risner. I'm not certain the rest matter as much. 

The rest does matter because it is easy to just say draft a QB, say they do not turn out, then they are really in the crap considering what happened this past season at the QB position.  

Unless the Vikings think they can get a stop gap or vet potentially in Sam Darnold, Jake Browning, Mason Rudolph etc.  Maybe Carson Wentz, or Gardner Minshew but really those two are out because the Vikings do not run a lot of RPO.  I would not hate bringing in Sam Darnold and he might have the most upside out of those QBs and he is still only 26.

Either way QB is still a massive issue even if they draft a rookie at what I assume to be #11 overall they still need a backup that does not totally suck.  

If the Vikings got somewhere else than QB with those first two picks and wait for one to fall these would be the guys to target.   However Pratt and Travis are probably gone by the 2nd and 3rd round, same with Hartman and Rattler maybe even.  

Michael Pratt Tulane JR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS

Then one has Joe Milton III and Taulia Tagovailoa, Milton probably too raw and developmental honestly, especially in this offense. Taulia would be interesting no question and could be around in the 4th maybe.