2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

38 minutes ago, viking said:

Not exactly a free agent but if the Patriots move on from Mac Jones i'd be interested in bringing him in on a cheap contract to be our QB2

he's worked with poor coaching and talent the last couple of years and is still young

Mac Jones is only a month younger than Jalen Hurts and is older than Jordan Love, Brock Purdy, and Trevor Lawrence.  He's not that young.

Chiefs defensive tackle Chris Jones vowed to return for a shot at a third straight Super Bowl title earlier this week, but an actual deal isn’t likely to come together overnight. One of the reasons why the Chiefs won’t be able to wrap things up quickly is because they’ll also be trying to hold onto cornerback L’Jarius Sneed. General Manager Brett Veach called re-signing both players a top priority of the offseason, but Sneed sounds unsure that everything will work out.

Sneed said he hopes to be back with Kansas City while adding that “you never know how it goes” once negotiations start: “I hope so, I hope so. They can’t keep both [Chris Jones and me]. Hopefully they got enough for both of us. But you know, they gonna make it happen. I hope so."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ljarius-sneed-i-hope-chiefs-have-enough-for-me-and-chris-jones

do the Vikings even have the oomph to be attractive to Snead? can we afford him?

his name sounds like a villain out of a Dr Seuss story....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Chiefs defensive tackle Chris Jones vowed to return for a shot at a third straight Super Bowl title earlier this week, but an actual deal isn’t likely to come together overnight. One of the reasons why the Chiefs won’t be able to wrap things up quickly is because they’ll also be trying to hold onto cornerback L’Jarius Sneed. General Manager Brett Veach called re-signing both players a top priority of the offseason, but Sneed sounds unsure that everything will work out.

Sneed said he hopes to be back with Kansas City while adding that “you never know how it goes” once negotiations start: “I hope so, I hope so. They can’t keep both [Chris Jones and me]. Hopefully they got enough for both of us. But you know, they gonna make it happen. I hope so."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ljarius-sneed-i-hope-chiefs-have-enough-for-me-and-chris-jones

do the Vikings even have the oomph to be attractive to Snead? can we afford him?

his name sounds like a villain out of a Dr Seuss story....

e75076c6-66f0-4612-a941-87f44f975104_tex

56 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Cousins leaves, draft a QB. Mullens is the bridge veteran.

eh, i don't know about that, even though i respect your opinions so much.

still need to try and win games, still need to create a winning culture, and still need more than Mullens and a new draftee in case of injury.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

still need to try and win games, still need to create a winning culture

Because Darnold, Lock, and Brissett have done so much winning in their careers. 

None of these veteran QBs that the will be able to afford are any better than Mullens. Mullens knows the offense, has shown that he has a solid chemistry with JJ, Addison, etc, he can move the offense down the field, and when the rookie is ready there won’t be any issue moving Mullens back to the backup roll. 

The only issue that we saw last year with Mullens was the turnovers. Those same issues exist with all of these other backup level QBs, too. It’s why they are backups. 

If you want a veteran who has experience, can help ease a rookie into the NFL, and can be somewhat of a mentor, that’s Mullens. 

• Like 2

Dudes in line for a pretty large pay increase.

Justin Madubuike DL (currently under $1.3 mil yearly)
Antoine Winfield Jr S (currently under $1.9 mil yearly)
L'Jarius Sneed CB (currently under $1 mil yearly)
Jaylon Johnson CB (currently under $1.7 mil yearly)
Tee Higgins WR (currently under $2.2 mil yearly)
Christian Wilkins DT (currently under $3.9 mil yearly)
Josh Allen Edge (currently under $5.7 mil yearly)
Patrick Queen ILB (currently under $3.1 mil yearly)
Jadeveon Clowney (currently under $2.6 mil yearly)
Tyler Biadasz C (currently under $1 mil yearly)
Willie Gay Jr LB (currently under $1.3 mil yearly)
DJ Wonnum Edge (currently under $1.1 mil yearly)
Josh Uche Edge (currently under $1.4 mil yearly)
Dalton Risner OG (currently $3 mil yearly)
Keisean Nixon CB (currently $4 mil yearly)
Bryce Huff Edge (currently under $4.4 mil yearly)
Andrew Van Ginkel (currently under $2.7 mil yearly)
Jonathan Greenard Edge (currently under $1.2 mil yearly)

Two Vikings on the list in Wonnum and Risner, Risner might get the bigger pay raise potentially being a quality OG starter.  Not sure the Vikings are in play for any of the top guys, would love to steal Nixon from the Packers.  Dude is a speedy slot defender who is tough and physical, curious how much he goes for.  If he is under $8 mil a year I would do that all day long.  If he was off the Packers D that instantly makes them a worse defense and the dude is very good on special teams as a kick returner as well.  

Also will be curious how they play the edge situation, will they form more of a 3/4 D or go back to the standard 4/3 or nickel with two LBs and four down DL.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Because Darnold, Lock, and Brissett have done so much winning in their careers. 

None of these veteran QBs that the will be able to afford are any better than Mullens. Mullens knows the offense, has shown that he has a solid chemistry with JJ, Addison, etc, he can move the offense down the field, and when the rookie is ready there won’t be any issue moving Mullens back to the backup roll. 

The only issue that we saw last year with Mullens was the turnovers. Those same issues exist with all of these other backup level QBs, too. It’s why they are backups. 

If you want a veteran who has experience, can help ease a rookie into the NFL, and can be somewhat of a mentor, that’s Mullens. 

ok, i'll try to get my head wrapped around those concepts more, thanks.

The Minnesota Vikings are primed to be one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2024, which should make them an attractive destination for some of the league’s best free agents. One of those players is safety Antoine Winfield Jr. of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Alex Ballentine of Bleacher Report on Thursday, February 15, dubbed Minnesota the best fit for the former second-round defensive back as he enters his age-25 season in 2024.

Winfield was PFF’s second-highest-graded safety in the league last season, and a closer look at his grades reveal just how much he means to the Bucs defense. Winfield was first in run defense grade, second in pass-rush grade and 10th in coverage. Whether he’s lined up in the slot, playing as a box safety or tracking down deep balls as a deep safety, he provides the versatility to fit in with any scheme. His experience with a successful Buccaneers franchise should make him an attractive addition for numerous suitors.

One that should be particularly interested is the Minnesota Vikings. … Like Todd Bowles‘ system in Tampa Bay, Brian Flores has brought a blitz-happy approach to Minnesota that relies on multiple looks and blitz packages to wreak havoc. Winfield’s ability to play all over the field would give Flores someone to weaponize within his scheme.

The Vikings need to solidify the defensive side of the football, and will probably need to do so — at least in part — by way of the safety position. Winfield is young, talented and connected to Minnesota on several levels. It could cost the team upwards of $92.5 million over a five-year contract to land the safety, per Spotrac, but Winfield is one of the few players who would almost certainly be worth the investment.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/antoine-winfield-jr-buccaneers-harrison-smith/?fbclid=IwAR3Fw8Hf8hIVBefWQBRxl_fBapCH7Oy9-6-Y1HAwkVJXWi7xxOGMefc7Eic