2024 Titans HC Coaching Search

KingTitan

3 hours ago, 615finest said:

Well that’s music to my ears.

Thomas Brown was #2 behind Frank Smith FWIW.

Knew about him being voted most-liked coordinator, but this was still a nice read, getting some perspective and actual quotes from players. Honestly, if he is indeed the leading candidate, I’m fine with it. Being able to adapt to players’ strength is quite a nice quality to want in your HC.

I agree with the...why fire Vrabel to hire another defensive guy...howeverI think this time around Ran and AAS will ensure the new HC will have marching orders to modernize the offense. I don't want a DC to take the job, but have to think they will have to have a good offensive plan in place. I think the new wave of DC's understand the rules favor the offense and having a defense hold teams to 10 points game in and game out isn't possible. I think Vrabel was DC for too short of a time to realize that. 

41 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't hate Glenn(have no reason to), but I'm just gonna be really stumped if we let a guy like Vrabel go just to hire someone we hope is as good as he was. Especially when you factor in that Vrabel has OC connections of either keeping Tim Kelly, bringing Art back, or hiring from the McVay/Shanahan tree again if we wanted to switch from Tim Kelly.

I get the report of "Vrabel wanted control and wasn't flexible", but I also heard nothing but "Vrabel wants to coach New England, Vrabel to New England is practically a done deal" and that turned out to be completely horse crap.

I'm seriously concerned we just fired a top 10 coach in this league for no good reason what so ever, only to hope Glenn can match him or a guy like Callahan or Slowik aren't too inexperienced.

Almost have to hope the "total control" report is true to justify it.

2 playoff wins in 5 years lol

I will never understand these takes. Vrabel did nothing here. Actually nothing.

By these standards, Mike Tomlin is the GOAT and the Steelers are the best team of the last two decades. May never win a Super Bowl, but hey, got that winning season again baby.

Mike Tomlin is 100s of times better than Vrabel by default btw, cause you know, won a Super Bowl. lol

Edited by Kookie23

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't hate Glenn(have no reason to), but I'm just gonna be really stumped if we let a guy like Vrabel go just to hire someone we hope is as good as he was. Especially when you factor in that Vrabel has OC connections of either keeping Tim Kelly, bringing Art back, or hiring from the McVay/Shanahan tree again if we wanted to switch from Tim Kelly.

I get the report of "Vrabel wanted control and wasn't flexible", but I also heard nothing but "Vrabel wants to coach New England, Vrabel to New England is practically a done deal" and that turned out to be completely horse crap.

I'm seriously concerned we just fired a top 10 coach in this league for no good reason what so ever, only to hope Glenn can match him or a guy like Callahan or Slowik aren't too inexperienced.

Almost have to hope the "total control" report is true to justify it.

well, the former came from joe rexrode and dianna russini and the latter came almost exclusively from a bunch of new england hacks trying to will it into existence, so who can really tell which one is more likely to be true

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

I agree with the...why fire Vrabel to hire another defensive guy...howeverI think this time around Ran and AAS will ensure the new HC will have marching orders to modernize the offense. I don't want a DC to take the job, but have to think they will have to have a good offensive plan in place. I think the new wave of DC's understand the rules favor the offense and having a defense hold teams to 10 points game in and game out isn't possible. I think Vrabel was DC for too short of a time to realize that. 

But Vrabel had those orders too. The issue for any defensive coach will ultimately be the same issue Vrabel had. If you do find the right guy to run the offense, and they get hired else where, whose your next coach up? Vrabel's downfall begin when he no longer had a viable OC who could make this offense put up points.(FWIW... Belicheck's downfall happened the same way when he lost McDaniels, then crapped the bed trying to replace him) I don't see how a new defensive minded coach, even in a best case scenario, doesn't inevitably run into the same problem. 

Meanwhile guys like Jim Schwartz , Ron Rivera, Steve Spaguolo, Leslie Fraiser and Brian Flores will probably never get HC calls again, but they coordinate damn good defenses. 

I feel like defensive coaches in general will start to see a glass ceiling on their HC chances for this reason. 

Edited by Chocolateman78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I am so anxious to hire a new HC I have convinced myself that Thomas Brown, Aaron Glenn, Brian Callahan, and Bobby Slowik were each the right guy to be our HC over the last 48 hours

anyone but dan quinn

I think you made the joke earlier, but yeah. They’ll probably hire one of the people I think is an awful hire for me to turn around in like two days and say “but when you think about it, it’s a really good hire.”

Or I’ll be unrealistically pumped when said bad hire brings in like, a respected TE coach or something.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think you made the joke earlier, but yeah. They’ll probably hire one of the people I think is an awful hire for me to turn around in like two days and say “but when you think about it, it’s a really good hire.”

Or I’ll be unrealistically pumped when said bad hire brings in like, a respected TE coach or something.

A few puff piece’s posted here, a few qualified coaching hires to the staff there and boom I’m talking myself into the hire.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I just cant get excited about a defensive guy. The best case is then Levis hits and  we’re putting him into a new system again in a year or two.

Same. In the current NFL, you either go with the CEO/motivator type or offensive mastermind as your head coach. We just got rid of one of the better CEO/motivator coaches in the league, so it’d be difficult for me to get excited if we hire another coach in that mode. Especially a defensive guy.

Give me an offensive guy who’ll actually give us a consistently good, explosive offense(something that honestly has been lacking for most of the “Titans” era) and who’ll help Levis (or whoever may be the QB of the future if Levis isn’t/doesn’t become that guy) reach his full potential. Can we finally get a 4000 yard passer, please!?!?!?

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Same. In the current NFL, you either go with the CEO/motivator type or offensive mastermind as your head coach. We just got rid of one of the better CEO/motivator coaches in the league, so it’d be difficult for me to get excited if we hire another coach in that mode. Especially a defensive guy.

Give me an offensive guy who’ll actually give us a consistently good, explosive offense(something that honestly has been lacking for most of the “Titans” era) and who’ll help Levis (or whoever may be the QB of the future if Levis isn’t/doesn’t become that guy) reach his full potential. Can we finally get a 4000 yard passer, please!?!?!?

never having had a 4k passer may be the single most poverty franchise stat about this godforsaken team. humiliating