New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Ask a Baltimore diehard fan what they think of Greg Roman.

Spoiler: It's not good.

Skinny is he is inept at passing concepts.

Ask any team fan what they think of their coaching / coordinators and you are bound to get negative responses from someone 😂

Though I don't think Roman is the best OC candidate I will just say he oversaw Lamar's MVP season, one of Tyrod Taylor's best seasons as a pro and got excellent play out of Kaepernick as the OC of SF on the way to a Superbowl run

He's not the worst person we could be looking at, and is certainly a better option than what we just saw the last couple seasons 

43 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd much rather have someone who specializes with the passing game come in as OC, but if you want to throw in an Assistant Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator or AHC/OL coach deal towards Roman then I'd be all for that. That's what I threw together in my mock for Harbaugh, and I still like the idea of it.

Let's be honest here for a second. If Harbaugh took a job with an NFL team then you don't think Greg Roman would be the first guy he'd call to be his OC? I do

Yet some of the same people who were clamoring for Harbaugh to be the next Bears HC scoff at the idea of Roman coming in here under Flus.

Make it make sense man...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Let's be honest here for a second. If Harbaugh took a job with an NFL team then you don't think Greg Roman would be the first guy he'd call to be his OC? I do

Yet some of the same people who were clamoring for Harbaugh to be the next Bears HC scoff at the idea of Roman coming in here under Flus.

Make it make sense man...

I can definitely see concerns. I think for Roman I would feel most comfortable with if Fields is the QB for 2024. Roman has had success, both with the 49ers and BAL, with mobile QBs and tough run games. At BUF he had Shady leading a lackluster RB corps and they were a top rushing offense in the NFL. Hell Taylor was second on the team in rushing yards. He was there for more than 1 year but kind of got shafted and let go in week 2 after they put up 31 points.

But his passing offenses typically ranked near the bottom.

In SF they were always in the bottom 5 for yards and attempts. Kaep was never a good passer really but was dynamic as a runner (not on the Jackson/Fields/Newton/Vick level, but he was a legit threat to pick up chunks of yards on any dropback). In BUF they had Tyrod and Watkins & Woods as kids. That's tough because there was potential but they were kids with a mediocre QB. Shanahan would do better of course but he wouldn't have that as a top 15 passing offense. Other than in 2021 they ranked bottom 4 in passing attempts and bottom 5 in passing yards each year.

Now usually that comes out to the offense being in the 10-20 range for PPG (2019 and 2020 being the only 2 years he broke the top 10), and that works when you have dominate defenses like BAL and SF. I have no issues with an offense that is a one trick pony when you can't really stop them either. At the end of the day all I care about is points being put up by the offense and how many points are given up by the defense.

And at that point I just think I want to aim higher than Roman for heading that charge on offense. As a complimentary piece, absolutely. He brings value for sure. But I want to aim higher.

• Like 1

If Fields stays I've been fine with Roman, but have started to sour on the idea as you're essentially committing to 2023 Justin Fields as your QB, as Roman has shown he can make efficient and effective offense out of that kind of QB, but it seems like you're settling for that and not focusing on Fields' development as a passer.   

I'd rather they aim for a more modern passing attack no matter who they have throwing the ball.

Not very good at watching tape and getting much out of it, but the one thing I'm noticing about Williams compared to Fields is that while, yes,  he does seem to have only a couple reads per play, and yes he does seem to hold the ball about as long as Fields, there are other details that seem more important for a QB.  He flicks the ball super quickly, and if I'm reading his reads right, once he thinks his receiver has a shot the ball is OUT.  We've all seen Fields pass over a read for not being open enough, run around, take a sack. Not saying Williams won't have issues with sacks or fumbles, but if he has a guy open the ball goes out and goes out fast.  Really lazy and misleading to say they're similar QBs with the same problems when there are some critical differences.  THe one thing we'll never know is what the guy is actually like, and more specifically if the Bears even want to deal with a big personality.  Doesn't seem to be something they've embraced and generally they seem to prefer quieter players.  Wouldn't stun me if they preffered Maye and thought about ways to get back to 2 for him. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If Fields stays I've been fine with Roman, but have started to sour on the idea as you're essentially committing to 2023 Justin Fields as your QB, as Roman has shown he can make efficient and effective offense out of that kind of QB, but it seems like you're settling for that and not focusing on Fields' development as a passer.   

I'd rather they aim for a more modern passing attack no matter who they have throwing the ball.

Not very good at watching tape and getting much out of it, but the one thing I'm noticing about Williams compared to Fields is that while, yes,  he does seem to have only a couple reads per play, and yes he does seem to hold the ball about as long as Fields, there are other details that seem more important for a QB.  He flicks the ball super quickly, and if I'm reading his reads right, once he thinks his receiver has a shot the ball is OUT.  We've all seen Fields pass over a read for not being open enough, run around, take a sack. Not saying Williams won't have issues with sacks or fumbles, but if he has a guy open the ball goes out and goes out fast.  Really lazy and misleading to say they're similar QBs with the same problems when there are some critical differences.  THe one thing we'll never know is what the guy is actually like, and more specifically if the Bears even want to deal with a big personality.  Doesn't seem to be something they've embraced and generally they seem to prefer quieter players.  Wouldn't stun me if they preffered Maye and thought about ways to get back to 2 for him. 

The option to keep Fields and add premium talent around him + future high end draft capital is very enticing , not going to lie

But I tend to agree with you here on Williams. I'm leaning more towards wanting the Bears to take him provided his off field evaluation checks out  positively.

Just hard to envision Bears franchise being this fortuitous again in being able to take one of the more highly rated QBs to be available in years when they cant confidently say they are set at the QB position with Fields 

I can't say we've for sure see Fields' ceiling but we know his floor, and honestly it's just not good enough as is to win a championship 

Edited by topwop1

Anyone else find it a little weird we just flat out have done nothing with the DC search? I know the likelihood is we hire Phil Snow or promote one of the coaches we already have but much like the OC search speaking to as many people as possible wouldn't be a bad thing at all. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else find it a little weird we just flat out have done nothing with the DC search? I know the likelihood is we hire Phil Snow or promote one of the coaches we already have but much like the OC search speaking to as many people as possible wouldn't be a bad thing at all. 

i just think the obvious focus is OC, especially because worst case DC can fall back to Flus or Snow

22 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Ask any team fan what they think of their coaching / coordinators and you are bound to get negative responses from someone 😂

Though I don't think Roman is the best OC candidate I will just say he oversaw Lamar's MVP season, one of Tyrod Taylor's best seasons as a pro and got excellent play out of Kaepernick as the OC of SF on the way to a Superbowl run

He's not the worst person we could be looking at, and is certainly a better option than what we just saw the last couple seasons 

Yes, but I have found if you have a hardcore group of knowledgeable fans they are often worth listening too for insights.  They go to practices or follow what other people say about practices and follow beat reporters etc.  

I remember people asking us about Goldman and people coming in here and warning us about Cody Parky etc.

• Like 1