Conference Championships

Leader

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

DET wound up making a bet that Goff could complete a pass to an open WR about 10 yards away while facing no immediate pressure.  They lost that bet tonight.  It doesn't mean it was a bad bet to make.

I give props to Campbell for understanding he has the most coveted (or at least one of the most coveted) HC candidates on the market. So he lets him shine. That was his plan this game - to let Ben Johnson cook.

And after the first half, he had every reason to still be confident in that decision.

6 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Fullback, varsity high school, Fox River Valley Conference, 1.3 ypc…

(I was getting the impression we have to start giving our football résumés before offering opinions.)

Momentum is real, discipline and leadership can overcome it. Time outs in basketball have only a little to do with strategy. Timeouts break the rhythm of the hot team. (Dang! I don’t have much on my basketball résumé.)

I played 7th and 8th grade. I desperately wanted to play safety. I wasn’t fast enough. So I got stuck at OL. Road the bench the first year. Got stuck at TE the second year. Quit before the first game. 

I played basketball through my junior year. I couldn’t shoot to save my life. I still started every single game because I was really good on defense. I had lots of blocks, lots of steals. **** I was good at defense in basketball. Except for shooting. My team was undefeated (one tie) in junior high two years in a row. I remember every single teammate, first and last name, on those two years. One year in a super close game I got fouled. I remember it vividly. I was like Shaq. Terrible. I got up to the line and I remember looking over at my coach and he starts motioning the granny free throw thing. I shook my head. Ain’t no damn way I’m doing a granny free throw. I missed the first one, sank the second one. Like my only free throw ever. The only other basket I made was a hustle play where it was me and Ryan Klemisch alone at the other end of the court after a steal. He felt pity on me and passed it to me and I hit a layup.

Don’t know **** about basketball. Know enough about football.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

momentum is real, sure. I'm open enough to buy that as plausible.

But then the momentum was just as real during all the similar plays the analytics are based on. Momentum is not unique to the current moment. The current moment is not "special" for the data. It's just another data point among many similar data points. All of which momentum maybe, probably had some effect but was then captured in the data. 

So the analytics are just as valid at any point in the game because the urgency is the same in all of the comparable data points.

Show me the data for this being an away team, who has never been to a Super Bowl and that exact situation. Because even if they pick up the first down, there is still a chance they have to kick a fg. Pressure makes diamonds but it also cracks pipes. I don't need a computer program to tell me, taking the three gives me a much greater chance to win as opposed to going for it and not making it. A missed FG is not as much of a game changer as being STOPPED. 

The Lions, in a unique situation of trying to get to a Super Bowl for the 1st time in team history; there are no analytics to take that into account. 

2 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I played 7th and 8th grade. I desperately wanted to play safety. I wasn’t fast enough. So I got stuck at OL. Road the bench the first year. Got stuck at TE the second year. Quit before the first game. 

I played basketball through my junior year. I couldn’t shoot to save my life. I still started every single game because I was really good on defense. I had lots of blocks, lots of steals. **** I was good at defense in basketball. Except for shooting. My team was undefeated (one tie) in junior high two years in a row. I remember every single teammate, first and last name, on those two years. One year in a super close game I got fouled. I remember it vividly. I was like Shaq. Terrible. I got up to the line and I remember looking over at my coach and he starts motioning the granny free throw thing. I shook my head. Ain’t no damn way I’m doing a granny free throw. I missed the first one, sank the second one. Like my only free throw ever. The only other basket I made was a hustle play where it was me and Ryan Klemisch alone at the other end of the court after a steal. He felt pity on me and passed it to me and I hit a layup.

Congrats on that layup. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

So, you are a quitter! That explains a lot of your need to always proclaim you are always right.  

The 49ers punter is the only player on the team I like. And we have seen too little of him this postseason. We need to see him a lot in the Super Bowl.

Just now, Old Guy said:

So, you are a quitter! That explains a lot of your need to always proclaim you are always right.  

Yep, you got it. I’m gonna send you a PM and ask for your phone number. The truth is I’d desperately like to be more like you. Will you be my life coach?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Pretty confident the Lions win this game with any other coach of a playoff team. Campbell's overly macho facade built them into what they are but you have to wonder if it wins them it all, because he was straight horrendous in the 2nd half.

Not according to all the analytics geeks. He was brilliant in their mind.