Conference Championships

Leader

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

momentum is real, sure. I'm open enough to buy that as plausible.

But then the momentum was just as real during all the similar plays the analytics are based on. Momentum is not unique to the current moment. The current moment is not "special" for the data. It's just another data point among many similar data points. All of which momentum maybe, probably had some effect but was then captured in the data. 

So the analytics are just as valid at any point in the game because the urgency is the same in all of the comparable data points.

I can dig that any aspect of the game that is described qualitatively may also be described through an array of measurables. The array of measurables that converge to create momentum shifts fire off in separate physiological storms among players and coaches, and they are so extensive as to defy scrutiny.

So I just call it Big Mo.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

No, they didn't.

Don't know what you saw. The 49ers were clinging to life which would be chipped away further with a reasonable FG.

Instead, Campbell decides to gamble his momentum away on one play, which got the crowd back into it and injected belief/energy (not real to the analytics-above-everything crowd, I know) to the 49ers.

I told people the Lions likely just blew the game there.

I won't care one bit if Kirk Cousins is still playing in the NFL next year now that the curse tied to him has been broken. Doesn't mean we should lose to him every time we face him.

29 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I get the call going for it the first time looking to increase the lead from 14 to 21 with plenty of time left.

The second one down in the 4th makes no sense to me.

Why wouldn’t you take a 3 score 2nd half lead when you’re able to the run the ball down their throats?  The first one made the least sense

Edited by LacyIsGood

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Given the Lions history, it would be pretty easy to figure out they might be susceptible to such pressure. Considering the environment, opponent and the demons they carry for an organization. 

What you can't do, if you are the coach, is be the reason your team lost. Dan Campbell is the reason the Lions lost. 

So wouldn't that pressure apply to the kicker? Badgley is a career 77 percent kicker from 40 to 49 yards. 45 percent from 48 plus. I cannot find 45 plus for this season, but as of 2021 he was 45 percent-ish or so. Taking the points from 45 and 47+ there is hardly a lock.

One could also argue that you also knock down momentum for your own team by deviating from your normal strategy. If your team is going to be that impacted by a negative play, what would they think if their coach suddenly doesn't have faith in them to convert 4th and 3 or less when you attempt those situations at a top 5 rate? Wouldn't that get in their heads too?

Edited by Striker

58 minutes ago, Leader said:

Purdy might not be all that...but against us and DET he had some *clutch* scrambles for first downs.

And this is because the defense has to account for so many other elements. 

This is partially why I’m a Purdy hater. And you can say I’m being unreasonable or my reasons for caring about this are stupid or whatever, I don’t really care.

One of my least favorite things in sports is when the narrative ignores everyone else to elevate the QB. This is what became nauseous when Rodgers wouldn’t perform up to standards, so I hate it when they do it for objectively great QBs too. 

But Purdy isn’t a great QB. From the Baltimore game all the way up until today, I saw him throw a litany of ****ty passes and get away with most of them. I saw him manage the games in crunch time pretty well too, but it is more than anything else attributable to nearly every other player on that offense before him. The running first downs are a great wrinkle, but the defense has to account for 2 great WRs, a couple other good ones, 1 all time great TE, and the best running back in football. Oh, and also the top notch OL. 

I don’t like hearing that Purdy is a top tier QB when it’s plain that the setting is on easy mode in that offense. All that said, I would kill to have that sort of operation in GB. This is fandom and I’ll admit I’m drinking haterade. 

• Like 1