2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

9 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Bring Glenn Schuman in - he interviewed last year; he has experience with a lot of the players here and obviously coaches a very good defense. 

Was waiting for this name to pop back up. With the Georgia connection,  makes way to much sense TBH. 

My only single hesitation is bringing in a College DC with No NFL experience , trying to get NFL multi-millionaire veterans to buy into him as a coach? They aren't 18-22 yds forced to buy into or get cut from the program because we have 90 other recruits.

If Nick goes to the college ranks for a hire and it doesn't have immediate success, He will be fired the following year. Not sure that's a gamble he'd want to take not having a previous relationship with said college coach. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

My only single hesitation is bringing in a College DC with No NFL , trying to get NFL multi-millionaires veterans to buy into him as a coach? They aren't 18-22 yds forced to buy into or get cut from the program because we have 90 other recruits.

Nobody is forced in college to buy in anymore, it unregulated free agency so this mindset is outdated. 

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

If Nick goes to the college ranks for a hire and it doesn't have immediate success, He will be fired the following year. Not sure that's a gamble he'd want to take not having a previous relationship with said college coach. 

With the names being tossed around it's probably a safe bet that he's going to be fired no matter what he does. 

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Nobody is forced in college to buy in anymore, it unregulated free agency so this mindset is outdated. 

With the names being tossed around it's probably a safe bet that he's going to be fired no matter what he does. 

You're referring to the select special few getting the big NIL money. Not the vast majority still on a scholarship or wanting one!

DC with NFL Experience - Less likely 

DC without from College lets be real, more likely 

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You're referring to the select special few getting the big NIL money. Not the vast majority still on a scholarship or wanting one!

DC with NFL Experience - Less likely 

DC without from College lets be real, more likely 

Are we talking about the transfer portal that had over 1,000 players in it this year? Nobody is forced to buy in anymore - they're pretty much free to leave as they like. 

I'm all in on Schuman here - I think that's the type of risk we need to take instead of these retreads that failed in other places. 

18 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Are we talking about the transfer portal that had over 1,000 players in it this year? Nobody is forced to buy in anymore - they're pretty much free to leave as they like. 

I'm all in on Schuman here - I think that's the type of risk we need to take instead of these retreads that failed in other places. 

There are 133 Division 1 College football teams. 162 Division 2 College football  teams. Each team has 105 players. 13,965 D1 players, 17,010 D2 players. You named 1,000 of the 31K playing football in those Colleges. Yes they are.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to Schuman,  just saying it's not a risk without having a previous relationship I see Nick taking. That's all.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

There are 133 Division 1 College football teams. 162 Division 2 College football  teams. Each team has 105 players. 13,965 D1 players, 17,010 D2 players. You named 1,000 of the 31K playing football in those Colleges. Yes they are.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to Schuman,  just saying it's not a risk without having a previous relationship I see Nick taking. That's all.

Let's say that he ends up being an absolute home run hire, what is the best case scenario here? Hope they win the SB next year bc he will be a hot HC candidate?  Part of the appeal of someone like Frazer, Zimmer, or Rivera is that they are unlikely to be tabbed again for a HC position and could provide some long term stability on the defensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, UndyTaker said:

Rooney rule interview?

Some speculation he's being interviewed for LB coach or in a senior assistant role which I'd definitely be on board with him being the LB coach.  He's had a ton of success getting the most out of his LB's, but he struggled as a DC.  That's one way to attack your LB problem.  Between Rivera and Caldwell if it panned out that way I'd feel confident they would at least get the most out of whatever trash pile is thrown at them at LB.

36 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Some speculation he's being interviewed for LB coach or in a senior assistant role which I'd definitely be on board with him being the LB coach.  He's had a ton of success getting the most out of his LB's, but he struggled as a DC.  That's one way to attack your LB problem.  Between Rivera and Caldwell if it panned out that way I'd feel confident they would at least get the most out of whatever trash pile is thrown at them at LB.

Or they overcorrect and bring in good lbs 

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

Let's say that he ends up being an absolute home run hire, what is the best case scenario here? Hope they win the SB next year bc he will be a hot HC candidate?  Part of the appeal of someone like Frazer, Zimmer, or Rivera is that they are unlikely to be tabbed again for a HC position and could provide some long term stability on the defensive side of the ball.

Well its pretty sad if thats what we are factoring into the coach search situation. "Lets hire someone that nobody else wants so that they can stay here if they do have success"......You know what generally fixes the problem of having your coordinators poached? A great head coach. Find one of those.

Some speculation he's being interviewed for LB coach or in a senior assistant role which I'd definitely be on board with him being the LB coach.  He's had a ton of success getting the most out of his LB's

Only issue I see, we have no LB'ers.

Some speculation he's being interviewed for LB coach or in a senior assistant role which I'd definitely be on board with him being the LB coach.

That is with the Raiders, he is being interviewed for DC by the Eagles

According to Fowler, Caldwell will interview with the Raiders for a senior defensive staff position and could be elevated to defensive coordinator should current DC Patrick Graham land a head coaching position. His interview with the Eagles will be for the defensive coordinator role recently vacated by Sean Desai.