2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Uh no. It looks like the league has passed him by by a mile. He's one of those coaches that just coaches his scheme regardless of whether the players fit it or not. He doesn't make the scheme fit the players he has. The general consensus is that we have a lot more talent on defense than the stats showed this year because they were coached horribly. 

Sounds like he'll fit right in here! lol 

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

Sounds like he'll fit right in here! lol 

I think he's a bad fit for the Eagles. Most stuff I've read from the beat reporters and just leaks that have come out are that his defensive scheme is overly complicated and requires a ton of communication by the defensive backs presnap and even during the plays. That is why Washington allowed a lot of opposing WRs wide open TDs quite a bit. It seems like a scheme that is designed to mask talent deficiencies on defense and lean into cerebral players or aging vets with a lot of experience that may have lost a step. The problem with that is young players generally appear completely lost in the scheme and any time a DB goes down with injury the backup gets completely lost (which happens a ton during an NFL season). Its just a bad scheme for an NFL team. 

50 minutes ago, Danger said:

Agreed. @MKnight82 @MikeT14

How involved was Ron with the defense over the last handful of years schematically? Was the defense modern in design in terms of the man/zone hybridization.

He wasn't overly involved it seemed until the end. It was JDR's job until he was fired and Ron took over. I'm not even sure he would even run anything overly similar to what JDR did with how unsuccessful it was. He does want it more simple than JDR operated. He did use more man than JDR did too. I think he ran a 3-4 in SD though, but a 4-3 here. 

I mentioned this to @EaglesPeteC elsewhere - he'd be great for your locker room, and maybe you need that. But as far as the X's and O's, I'd echo my concern like @MKnight82 posted. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He does want it more simple than JDR operated.

Ya this is debatable. I agree that Rivera didn't technically run the defense until the very end. But he hired JDR and could have forced changes at any time if he wanted to. The stubbornness to not change anything even though it wasn't working was quite alarming. 

2 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

I think the one guy for whom the Eagles should go all in is Chase Young, assuming he doesn't re-sign before they have a chance.

All talent player whose injuries have robbed him of a lot of talent is not someone I would chase tbh. If he is cheap sure, but I am not committing anything serious to him.

He isn't a bad player, just nothing like what people expected him to be.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

All talent player whose injuries have robbed him of a lot of talent is not someone I would chase tbh. If he is cheap sure, but I am not committing anything serious to him.

He isn't a bad player, just nothing like what people expected him to be.

I expect BG to be back for 1 more year, so I think another role player or a day 2 draft pick is most likely to add to the room rather than a big name

• Like 1

I don't know if I have names in mind for OC or DC but here are the types of candidates that would be appealing

OC- an experienced play caller

DC- a CEO of the defense that can take that can make Nick not have to worry about what is going on as much on that side of the ball.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think we really need to bring someone in who's gonna really get the most out of Nolan Smith. Nolan panning out or not is a HUGE determination of where this defense goes moving forward IMO.

really hope we move to some sort of 34, if nothing else than it'd force Howie to actually pay attention to LB

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

really hope we move to some sort of 34, if nothing else than it'd force Howie to actually pay attention to LB

Spitballing:

DE: Jalen Carter
NT: Jordan Davis
DE: Milton/Cox
OLB: Sweat/Graham
ILB: lol
ILB: funny
OLB: Reddick/Nolan (takes over full time in '25)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think we really need to bring someone in who's gonna really get the most out of Nolan Smith. Nolan panning out or not is a HUGE determination of where this defense goes moving forward IMO.

Actually thought he showed something towards the end of the year. Especially against Tampa. I actually left this year believing in Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter, Nolan smith, Sydney brown and kelee ringo

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bring Glenn Schuman in - he interviewed last year; he has experience with a lot of the players here and obviously coaches a very good defense. 

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Spitballing:

DE: Jalen Carter
NT: Jordan Davis
DE: Milton/Cox
OLB: Sweat/Graham
ILB: lol
ILB: funny
OLB: Reddick/Nolan (takes over full time in '25)

then on passing downs you move Carter in and put sweat up.

Would need to be an attacking 34, I'm not wasting Carter as a two gap end

6 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Bring Glenn Schuman in - he interviewed last year; he has experience with a lot of the players here and obviously coaches a very good defense. 

I'd have reservations about that.  You have to be skeptical of a guy overseeing clearly the most talented defense in college.  It would be a very risky hire and they can't afford to get this wrong. 

• Like 1