Rugby star Rees-Zammit to leave Rugby for NFL

Manny/Patrick

6 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Smart. This way if he gets injured you lose 3 positions.

If you don't have a rb or wr that can return kicks, you have serious problems. As for the punting, just make sure you have a kicker who can punt in a bind. Can always find one off the street for next week

17 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Jordan Mailata comes from Rugby, he’s probably the best example. This guy is as fast as Tyreek Hill though

If he's that fast, he should come join the Rams. Cooper Kupp can teach him to WR lol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 8:58 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Man, the newspapers really have suckered so many people with this comparison of Tyreek's MPH vs LRZ ... It's utter nonsense. One is wearing full pads and a helmet, the other isn't. It's ridiculous. Tyreek Hill makes some of the greatest athletes in professional sport look like make-a-wish kids. 

LWZ is fast, sure. But he's absolutely not Tyreek Hill fast.

Very, very unlikely. You'd have to play Football in a club outside of school before 16 here in Britain, and even then, there would be so few people playing. South Wales lads play Rugby Union; that's basically it. Football would, without question, being considered "soft" in the Valleys because of the pads (we obviously know this isn't true).

Bit late coming to the party sorry, but I'm from South Wales (played football and rugby and am a level 2 rugby coach too)...............it's true what you say about the Valleys 😁😁

Though I don't know LRZ personally, I've seen him play up close a number of times. The kid is very fast but you're right, it's a different type of speed to Hill who's electric fast and very, very explosive. LRZ is smooth fast, not explosive like Tyreek, whereas Hill can start and stop and change direction like a cat, LRZ glides. His ball skills are great but he does run very upright (even for a rugby player), think Eric Dickerson style of player. 

I believe he spent some time over in the states a few years back to work on strength and bulking up and trained with a coach who runs programmes for college prospects (there was a TV programme here showing him over there a year ago or so). His father apparently played some football when he was younger and he's been a fan of NFL for a long time.

He's a bit light weight in the upper body and there's a lot of talk here about him playing receiver/running back but I think he's a bit lightweight for full time RB. Maybe he can be a player who returns kicks, plays a little bit of receiver and occasionally RB. At 6'3 and 200lbs he's relatively light for a rugby player and played a position called wing which is out wide, using speed, catching high balls so he's not a guy who's going to truck anyone.

He was a really bright prospect in rugby, particularly for a small country like Wales and is quite a high profile convert. He's played for the British and Irish Lions team which is a huge thing in rugby so he's a well known player world wide and it's certainly raised a lot of eyebrows. I think he has a great chance to make a roster and is undoubtedly rugby's biggest and highest profile player to try his hand at NFL.

Hopefully this was helpful guys 🙂🍻

• Like 5

On 1/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

He’s 6”3 200 pounds, is that the normal size of a rugby player? He sounds like a physical beast

Many different sizes, depending upon the position, similar to football.

Outside backs (which is what LRZ was) are usually around that size, similar to receivers or safeties in NFL.

There's usually a couple really tall guys 6'5 to 6'7 and 240 to 280lbs but also some really small guys that are shifty too like a Darren Sproles type.

At the front of the scrum you have the big guys like DTs or OGs.

Basically, rugby guys tend to be quite a bit lighter as they require more cardio fitness to run around all game. Some of the 'back row' guys (normally around 6' to 6'4 and 210 to 240 lbs like LBs) would be making 20 to 30 tackles a game, plus running with the ball, wrestling and chasing around.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Soko said:

Tbh I thought he’d be a little quicker, maybe high 4.3s but he’s not as fast as Tyreek for sure, that was clear even before the numbers. Very different type of runner. He’ll be a great open field runner though and the tackling in rugby is much better so he’s got a chance to make some noise, going to be interesting!

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Tbh I thought he’d be a little quicker, maybe high 4.3s but he’s not as fast as Tyreek for sure, that was clear even before the numbers. Very different type of runner. He’ll be a great open field runner though and the tackling in rugby is much better so he’s got a chance to make some noise, going to be interesting!

Disappointing time from LRZ. Thought he’d run a 4.3

im also a rugby fan, from the UK. Happy to see him leave Union tbf 😆

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:49 PM, Soko said:

4.43 in literally his underwear doesn't seem that impressive.  As a guy whose whole premise is that he's supposed to be lightning fast, and worth teaching him how to play football because of that athleticism.

I mean, if he's 4.43 in his underwear...what's he gonna run if you ask him to put pads and a helmet on.  Or even just like...a shirt that might create wind resistance or something?

On 1/17/2024 at 3:58 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Man, the newspapers really have suckered so many people with this comparison of Tyreek's MPH vs LRZ ... It's utter nonsense. One is wearing full pads and a helmet, the other isn't. It's ridiculous. Tyreek Hill makes some of the greatest athletes in professional sport look like make-a-wish kids. 

LWZ is fast, sure. But he's absolutely not Tyreek Hill fast.

Playing Devils Advocate here. Isn't this what people do during the "Combine" watching players running in track shoes, from a 3 pt stance and underwear? Overreact about a 40x?

As for the player. How quickly he can pick up terminology,  concepts and route running will dictate "if" he gets a real chance. 

Do some recruiting Jordan, bring him to Philly. Legitimately can't be any worse then Quez Watkins who's played football his whole life and still can't catch while leaving QB out to dry. 

Come on! 🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1