Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

23 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I really like Robinson. Do you not?

Been a huge fan since about 2 years ago. I didn't know he weighed 295 because he moves so well. He has everything you like in a 5Tech in a 34 scheme.

• Like 1

As I sit here and look at things now, I really just think we should go JPJ in the first and Sweat in the second. I’d be happy with that approach. Perhaps strengthen the inner trenches before you even think of focusing on the flanks or skill positions. There is flexibility in terms of drafting a left or right tackle for this team IMO. The receiver class is rather deep, and the slot may have become less of a need with Smith hired. CB/DB is always a challenge for the Steelers, so I really don’t know, may have to dip into free agency here and at ILB. If they do dip, it should be for significant players, not journeymen or jags. 

Edited by rlon
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, rlon said:

As I sit here and look at things now, I really just think we should go JPJ in the first and Sweat in the second. I’d be happy with that approach. Perhaps strengthen the inner trenches before you even think of focusing on the flanks or skill positions. There is flexibility in terms of drafting a left or right tackle for this team IMO. The receiver class is rather deep, and the slot may have become less of a need with Smith hired. CB/DB is always a challenge for the Steelers, so I really don’t know, may have to dip into free agency here and at ILB. If they do dip, it should be for significant players, not journeymen or jags. 

I'd definitely build inside out.
Imagine if your first four rounds went like this...

1 - OC JPJ
2 - DT T.Sweat
3 - DE D.Robinson
4 - CB K.Jackson
4 - OT B.Fisher

Edited by mwalker

13 hours ago, armsteeld said:

As usual, many guys don't watch the tape like we do. Darius Robinson has these guys drooling but we've been known that.

I really remember what a scout told me once - knowing the 1st round is easy.  Rounds 2 and 3 is usually a matter of preference and draftniks start to learn that now.  Rounds 4-7 aren't learned who like who until now and the draftniks are just trying to figure out what round teams say they like someone in.

Basically you hear about all these risers now, not because they are actually rising, but rather because they didn't know teams like them.

8 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Double team? No problem.

I still would not take him until the 2nd at the earliest.  Value in the NFL for 2 down run stuffers is low.  His motor has always been the question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rlon said:

As I sit here and look at things now, I really just think we should go JPJ in the first and Sweat in the second. I’d be happy with that approach.

That would be difficult to argue. Pretty sound logic and approach. I don't think Sweat makes it to the Steelers at pick #51 in the second round. I am a big BPA guy over need, but this year I kind of think you have to tailor your board with need factored in as well.  By that, I mean, if I have a Center, OT, CB,and DT with comparable grades (1,2, 3, and 4 on my board), I am going to look at the need and depth of the position.

I definitely think that CB, OT and DL are much deeper than Center. If I would pass on JPJ,  I would probably have to trade up to get Frazier and no guarantee that I could do that. I draft JPJ and I have Center locked down for 10-12 years.

Perhaps strengthen the inner trenches before you even think of focusing on the flanks or skill positions.

I remember having this discussion with @43M when Najee came out. I had a higher grade on Najee over Landon Dickerson only because I was afraid of Dickerson's injury history (two knee injuries). Otherwise, Dickerson would have been the pick and Center is not on our board. They took Muth over Creed Humphrey. I liked Quinn Meinerz. I think Center is fixed if they even took Quinn over Green.

There is flexibility in terms of drafting a left or right tackle for this team IMO.

Definitely. Many are pointing out that there are very good and  RT and LT prospects through rounds 1-3. I am going to prioritize fixing the OL.  Right now, my 1 & 2 picks would be Center and OT.

The receiver class is rather deep, and the slot may have become less of a need with Smith hired.

I definitely under-estimated the need at WR.  I think they can get someone in free agency or draft a guy. Even with Arthur Smith, you need at least four WR's. George and Dionte are solid, but Austin was under-utilized and ARob is too expensive and should  be upgraded. Some people have mentioned Tyler Boyd and Braxton Berrios as possibilities.

CB/DB is always a challenge for the Steelers, so I really don’t know, may have to dip into free agency here and at ILB.

I am looking at free agency to fill these needs and possibly safety.

I am spending on Jaylon Johnson (if the Bears don't tag him) or L'Jarius Sneed.

If Kwon is healthy, I resign him and if not, I am going after Isaiah Simmons. He would be solid situational player who shouldn't cost too much (pass coverage). Similar athleticism as Edmunds, but at ILB.

If they do dip, it should be for significant players, not journeymen or jags. 

Agreed!

10 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Double team? No problem.

What is the difference between Sweat and Mazi Smith who had a disappointing rookie season for the Cowboys last year? Jordan Davis hasn’t exactly become a household name for the Eagles either. I remember watching a video of Baldinger ripping him for being overweight and out of shape and a liability. Makes me hesitant to want to use a top 2 pick on an oversized DT in that mold.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

What is the difference between Sweat and Mazi Smith who had a disappointing rookie season for the Cowboys last year? Jordan Davis hasn’t exactly become a household name for the Eagles either. I remember watching a video of Baldinger ripping him for being overweight and out of shape and a liability. Makes me hesitant to want to use a top 2 pick on an oversized DT in that mold.

Sweat is a late 2nd.  Those guys were 1st round picks because teams thought there was more pass rushing upside with both.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Sweat is a late 2nd.  Those guys were 1st round picks because teams thought there was more pass rushing upside with both.

Sweat would seem, at least as of now, to be the better athlete.

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Sweat would seem, at least as of now, to be the better athlete.

Watch game film of him.  Not highlights.  Texas defense vs some other team offense.  He can be dominate but his motor is suspect.  Casey Hampton could be dominate when he wanted but spent most of his energy soaking up 2 blockers.  When he was pissed, a center looked like they were on roller skates.